May 04, 2024, 04:30:27 am

Author Topic: Voting needs to be discussed  (Read 22189 times)

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Voting needs to be discussed
« on: March 01, 2013, 09:12:56 pm »

The other 2 sites were 13 votes and 10 votes....

Why does this seem so wrong? Obviously we know people don't finish voting. But I didn't think it was THAT bad, 11 votes.. including mine, and we can see over 100 "Votes" being used, It's a joke,  I think that the "Top Voter" award be taken away, it doesn't seem to actually help the server. And we need some way to verify votes are actually being made. I am aware that it's not simple, and I honestly have no idea how to fix it but this just seems so wrong, I don't want it ignored. Any ideas are welcome.

hammysandwhich

• I once had a fear of hurdles, but I got over it.
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • View Profile
Re: Voting needs to be discussed
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 09:24:04 pm »
I quite agree with you 2crzy, players are using this for their advantage, taking the diamonds and not finishing the voting.
if you die in canada do you die in real life?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 09:26:33 pm »
It's not just the diamonds, its the Top Voter, the current top 3 voted a total of 15 times, we only had 11 votes, 1 was mine, it's completely skewed.

EDIT: looking at the numbers again, I messed up earlier, the votes are spread across the 4 sites.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 02:53:02 am by ☣2crzy4uall☣ »

FNVcourierjon(SigilStone)

• Champion Member
  • Vault 102 Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 09:42:54 pm »
This is a major problem that needs to be fixed.  But Top Voter should still be kept.
That's why I suggested votifier a while ago.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 09:58:13 pm by FNVcourierjon »

hammysandwhich

• I once had a fear of hurdles, but I got over it.
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 09:53:33 pm »
It's sad.... Quite sad, being that players are abusing this for their advantage, even the top votes..
if you die in canada do you die in real life?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nyssa

• dedlymagik
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 03:58:24 am »
I am disappointed so many of you are exploiting this.

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 04:08:45 am »
Why am I first? I've only voted once this month O.o

Wyboth

• Champion Member
  • No longer active - contact me on Reddit.
    • View Profile
    • Contact me via reddit
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 04:13:31 am »
I admit to clicking the buttons and not filling out the captions. I think I speak for everyone when I say that although I like the server, filling out the captions is too much work for what it's worth. All that we get are diamonds, which are now worthless, and a shot at getting free donation rewards, which is a very small chance. This leaves only one reason for actually filling out 5 captions per day, which is doing it out of the goodness of my heart. That lasted for two days, and then it was just clicking buttons. People are lazy; nobody wants to spend 5 minutes filling out captions, even if it means more people on the server. It's just not worth it.

Even if you did reverse engineer the "one quick survey" website's technology, I think very few people would actually go through the trouble of filling out the captions, since there is literally no reward. Whatever you decide to do, you can't expect people to devote 5 minutes of their lives every day to vote, especially when they would have to go out of their way to get to a computer. It won't happen. Yes, it is sad, but I see nothing to be done with it. I know I wouldn't keep voting if I actually had to fill out the captions.

I am inactive. Click here to send me a message that I'll actually see.

Nyssa

• dedlymagik
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 04:19:48 am »
We run and continue to keep the server going out of the goodness of our heats.. putting in well over 5 minutes a day for you and everyone else, Wyboth.

Wyboth

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Contact me via reddit
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 04:22:17 am »
I know you do. I'm just breaking the ice so that the vast majority of the people who don't fill out captions can feel comfortable about saying so, and giving my two cents on the issue.

Edit: It seems like you're singling me out for this. Keep in mind that 90% of the people on Opticraft do this. Besides, we all contribute more than 5 minutes of our lives to the server in ways other than voting, as you do yourself.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 04:34:04 am by Wyboth »

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 04:24:50 am »
I think the issue lies with top voter. If you forget to vote ONE SINGLE TIME in the entire month, then you pretty much have lost your shot at top voter. Think about it, you must check your computer once every 12 hours to vote, and you must be precise in your timing otherwise it gets screwed up and you can quickly drop out of the lead. I think if the rewards for top voters go changed somehow. We need a way for users to be able to still win the voter rewards at the end of the month even if they forget to come on and vote after 12 hours, or if they're at school or work and cannot get online to vote.

Perhaps we will see more effort if that changes.

Best griefer name ^

Wyboth

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Contact me via reddit
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 04:39:55 am »
I think the issue lies with top voter. If you forget to vote ONE SINGLE TIME in the entire month, then you pretty much have lost your shot at top voter. Think about it, you must check your computer once every 12 hours to vote, and you must be precise in your timing otherwise it gets screwed up and you can quickly drop out of the lead. I think if the rewards for top voters go changed somehow. We need a way for users to be able to still win the voter rewards at the end of the month even if they forget to come on and vote after 12 hours, or if they're at school or work and cannot get online to vote.

Perhaps we will see more effort if that changes.
If this does happen, it still won't affect people not filling out captions. This may be step two.

__pORKCHOPS

• The frenchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 04:47:09 am »
I agree that we should remove the top voter rank... at least until we see a significant change of the REAL votes.

And i think that votifier could work...  :-\
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 04:49:44 am by __pORKCHOPS »

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 04:51:41 am »
Or how about you all stop being so ungrateful and take the few minutes of your time to write out some captions which even a 5 year old could do.

Wyboth

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Contact me via reddit
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 04:53:51 am »
I agree that we should remove the top voter rank... at least until we see a significant change of the REAL votes.

And i think that votifier could work...  :-\
I still maintain that people would stop voting if votifier was installed. The only reason I vote is so that I can click a button and get diamonds. If I had to fill out captions every time as well, I think I would just mine them instead. No point in still voting since I never actually did the captions in the first place.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 05:03:14 am by Wyboth »