May 03, 2024, 08:05:09 pm

Author Topic: Voting needs to be discussed  (Read 22187 times)

__pORKCHOPS

• The frenchie
    • View Profile
Re: Voting needs to be discussed
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 04:55:46 am »
Or how about you all stop being so ungrateful and take the few minutes of your time to write out some captions which even a 5 year old could do.

That is what i said... because now, people just click the link to have diamond or be top voter. But if there wouldn't be that rank, people would vote for real. And then when we see a significant change, we reinsert the rank abd/or the dimond donation

I agree that we should remove the top voter rank... at least until we see a significant change of the REAL votes.

And i think that votifier could work...  :-\
I still maintain that people would stop voting if votifier was installed. The only reason I vote is so that I can click a button and get diamonds. If I had to fill out captions every time as well, I think I would just mine them instead. No point in still voting since I never actually did the captions in the first place.

Voting isn't only to get some diamonds... It is to keep the server running ! and to have more members... So if you only vote for diamonds, you don't really care about the server... That is my opinion.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 05:00:03 am by __pORKCHOPS »

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 04:59:01 am »
I agree that we should remove the top voter rank... at least until we see a significant change of the REAL votes.

And i think that votifier could work...  :-\
I still maintain that people would stop voting if votifier was installed. The only reason I vote is so that I can click a button and get diamonds. If I had to fill out captions every time as well, I think I would just mine them instead. No point in still voting since I never actually did the captions in the first place.

I think people would actually vote. That's still up to 5 diamonds per day. Plus this may fix the issue of missing 1 day of vote = losing the whole month's contest since less people would actually do it, and people who do it every day will slack on some days and just not do shit.

Also doesn't votifier give you points for diamonds which you can redeem at any moment? What if each legit, verified vote, earned a player 1 point. At any point those points can be exchanged for diamonds, but then the points go to 0. At the end of the month the players with the most points get top voter, and the top voters points are automatically redeemed so they can't just keep racking them up and getting top voter every month.

Best griefer name ^

__pORKCHOPS

• The frenchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 05:01:44 am »

And i think that votifier could work...  :-\

I think people would actually vote. That's still up to 5 diamonds per day. Plus this may fix the issue of missing 1 day of vote = losing the whole month's contest since less people would actually do it, and people who do it every day will slack on some days and just not do shit.

Also doesn't votifier give you points for diamonds which you can redeem at any moment? What if each legit, verified vote, earned a player 1 point. At any point those points can be exchanged for diamonds, but then the points go to 0. At the end of the month the players with the most points get top voter, and the top voters points are automatically redeemed so they can't just keep racking them up and getting top voter every month.

Th thing is that you can't really verify  if the vote is ''legit''

Wyboth

• Champion Member
  • No longer active - contact me on Reddit.
    • View Profile
    • Contact me via reddit
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 05:03:20 am »
Or how about you all stop being so ungrateful and take the few minutes of your time to write out some captions which even a 5 year old could do.
People are lazy, myself included. You can't expect me to fill out a caption twice a day for the rest of my life when there's no reward, especially when my schedule has a conflict. Sure, at first I'll do it, but after a while it seems unnecessary and I'll stop. And I especially won't do it if it requires me to borrow my classmate's laptop and stay a minute after class to frantically type them out with them screaming at me to hurry up (true story). It sounds very evil, but I guarantee you most people went through the same process. The system is broken. Don't expect people to follow it just for moral reasons when there is an easier alternative with no drawbacks.

I am inactive. Click here to send me a message that I'll actually see.

__pORKCHOPS

• The frenchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 05:06:07 am »
In my opinion, there's no magic solution. Top voter rank should be removed and the only thing to do is to be HONEST ! come on... Do you like this server ? Show it then !

Wyboth

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Contact me via reddit
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 05:08:03 am »

That is what i said... because now, people just click the link to have diamond or be top voter. But if there wouldn't be that rank, people would vote for real. And then when we see a significant change, we reinsert the rank abd/or the dimond donation

And i think that votifier could work...  :-\

Voting isn't only to get some diamonds... It is to keep the server running ! and to have more members... So if you only vote for diamonds, you don't really care about the server... That is my opinion.
I'm glad you said that. Statistically speaking, if you are one of eleven people giving the server "real" votes, you are contributing literally nothing. You only boost the server by one point, when it's already near the bottom. There's no motivation.

Besides, I don't even think server websites have an impact on membership. I don't know anyone personally who has ever visited a top server list to join a server, and I've never run across someone on Opticraft who came from said website. So it's not even a moral sin. It's just completely pointless. There are other ways to show that you love the server, such as playing on it and making friends and enjoying yourself.

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 05:10:38 am »
People are lazy, myself included. You can't expect me to fill out a caption twice a day for the rest of my life when there's no reward, especially when my schedule has a conflict. Sure, at first I'll do it, but after a while it seems unnecessary and I'll stop. And I especially won't do it if it requires me to borrow my classmate's laptop and stay a minute after class to frantically type them out with them screaming at me to hurry up (true story). It sounds very evil, but I guarantee you most people went through the same process. The system is broken. Don't expect people to follow it just for moral reasons when there is an easier alternative with no drawbacks.
Dude, there' so many things wrong with this. You should be voting for the server because you want to help it out, not because of the reward. If you are honestly butthurt about the reward then don't even bother clicking the vote buttons. If you're at school or you're busy with something else, then wait to vote and fill out the captions in your spare time; when you have the time. Of course the system is broken, but that's when we expect people to use common sense and actually vote legitimately.

__pORKCHOPS

• The frenchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 05:11:55 am »
I'm glad you said that. Statistically speaking, if you are one of eleven people giving the server "real" votes, you are contributing literally nothing. You only boost the server by one point, when it's already near the bottom. There's no motivation.

Maybe elven does nothing, but imagine if at least half of the players who only click the link would vote for real... That  would be a huge amount of vote for our server and that would be a certain benefit.

Wyboth

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Contact me via reddit
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2013, 05:18:31 am »
Dude, there' so many things wrong with this. You should be voting for the server because you want to help it out, not because of the reward. If you are honestly butthurt about the reward then don't even bother clicking the vote buttons. If you're at school or you're busy with something else, then wait to vote and fill out the captions in your spare time; when you have the time. Of course the system is broken, but that's when we expect people to use common sense and actually vote legitimately.
You have way too much faith in human nature. People don't work like that. If there's nothing in it for them, they won't do it. As you can see by the numbers, that's exactly what happened.

You guys are making it out like it's some horrible sin not to fill out the captions for voting. I'm going to challenge the idea that top server websites actually work as advertised. Go vote on this poll I created, and we will see whether or not this is actually effective.

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2013, 05:20:56 am »
@Wyboth

You don't have to have faith in human nature to expect people to fill out some simple captures.
I'd rather they didn't vote at all, then grab their diamonds and walk away.

__pORKCHOPS

• The frenchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2013, 05:23:03 am »
@Wyboth

You don't have to have faith in human nature to expect people to fill out some simple captures.
I'd rather they didn't vote at all, then grab their diamonds and walk away.

agree, if you only vote for diamonds.. you only think about yourself...
like i said on the other topic, Voting and being top voter on a website is , in my opinion, a way to thanks the mods, op, admins, and opti for their hard work for us and for the server... They make the server nice to play and voting is a way to show their work to others. Our server is something to be proud of.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 05:28:19 am by __pORKCHOPS »

Wyboth

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Contact me via reddit
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2013, 05:28:32 am »
I have just challenged the notion that these websites actually recruit a significant amount of people and are worth your time to fill out the captions for. If they don't actually do anything, I'd recommend that voting be removed entirely, as it is just a way to get free, worthless diamonds.

Also, I'd like to point out to all of those calling me dishonest that I am the only one out of hundreds to admit that I didn't complete the captions. Everyone else is keeping their mouths shut. How does that make me dishonest?

__pORKCHOPS

• The frenchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2013, 05:31:33 am »
I have just challenged the notion that these websites actually recruit a significant amount of people and are worth your time to fill out the captions for. If they don't actually do anything, I'd recommend that voting be removed entirely, as it is just a way to get free, worthless diamonds.

Also, I'd like to point out to all of those calling me dishonest that I am the only one out of hundreds to admit that I didn't complete the captions. Everyone else is keeping their mouths shut. How does that make me dishonest?

I'm sorry if i called you dishonest. :S But it stays in my head that the best solution would be to remove the diamond donation and the top voter rank... Then, the ones who really likes the server and wants to share it will continue to vote.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 05:34:40 am by __pORKCHOPS »

Wyboth

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Contact me via reddit
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2013, 05:37:07 am »
Well, if my poll ever gets unlocked, we'll get to see if voting on these websites even works. I think that maybe one or two people came to Opticraft from a top server website and stayed. If that's the case, voting is a waste of time and is basically free money. If not, then it can be kept and maybe have votifier added.

Edit: I accidentally voted yes on my own poll, so I reset the votes. There was only 1 other vote, so please re-vote.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 05:38:42 am by Wyboth »

__pORKCHOPS

• The frenchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2013, 05:38:12 am »
Well, if my poll ever gets unlocked, we'll get to see if voting on these websites even works. I think that maybe one or two people came to Opticraft from a top server website and stayed. If that's the case, voting is a waste of time and is basically free money. If not, then it can be kept and maybe have votifier added.

It is not only about the joining thing.... It's all about being thankfull...