April 24, 2024, 04:33:35 am

Author Topic: Mojang has been purchased by microsoft  (Read 27105 times)

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
  • Retired. Find me on Steam or IG.
    • View Profile
Re: Mojang might be purchased by microsoft
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2014, 10:23:03 pm »
Also, I haven't heard of paid updates becoming extremely popular. Most games don't charge for their updates.

Also,

Microsoft buying minecraft would be good for them as a company but bad for us as players. If they don't buy mojang, they are missing a million dollar market.

They're buying it for 2 billion dollars. Buying a million dollar market for 2 billion is stupid considering 2 billion is literally a thousand times more than 1 million, aside from the fact that Minecraft is much larger than a million dollar market.

And Minecraft is not unfinished. 1.0 is considered finished and I believe that this game is finished.

Lastly, I don't think Microsoft has ever charged for an update before.
I don't play Minecraft anymore and hardly come back to these forums. If you want to contact me, find me on Steam or Instagram. Username for everything is SalsaInABowl.

OzzyKP

• I sleep with the fishes.
    • View Profile
    • National Youth Rights Association
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2014, 12:22:57 am »
but they'd still make a killing from all the new people  buying it as it becomes ever more popular.

Minecraft is nearing the end of its lifetime from what I see. I don't know if I'm missing something but it feels like it.
Idk why you keep saying this.. it is not true.  Just because our server (unfortunatley) has lost players, minecraft is not less popular.  More kids than EVER are playing minecraft, buying minecraft books/merch, and generally becoming hooked to the game.  If you walk through any elementary school I guarantee you will find 30 kids with minecraft shirts on, and lots more who play it.  (I know this from younger siblings + mentoring in elementary schools)

Agreed.
Owner & Creator of Aquain, a huge underwater city in the old guest world.  Check out info on my underwater city here.

iGenerator

• Super Trusted
  • Champion Member
  • Mayor of Rosenberg
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2014, 05:02:11 am »
According to their website, 16,686,253 people have bought the game on PC.

Assuming they all got it for full price (which they didn't alpha/beta prices were reduced) that'd be $449,694,491.40

The game is available on both Xbox One/360 and PS3/4 in addition to all the merchendise they push.

They make money.
Major Igenerator
City Planner for Stuttgart

DP

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2014, 07:46:46 am »

Assuming they all got it for full price (which they didn't alpha/beta prices were reduced) that'd be $449,694,491.40

The game is available on both Xbox One/360 and PS3/4 in addition to all the merchendise they push.

They make money.

Yes, but I highly doubt it is 2 billion. 1 billion, likely. Not 2.

My main concern with this deal is Microsoft. What they did to Rare is unacceptable. Hopefully Mojang doesn't bite, they can still make a lot of money with Minecraft anyway.
I don't play Minecraft anymore and hardly come back to these forums. If you want to contact me, find me on Steam or Instagram. Username for everything is SalsaInABowl.

gavin1928374655

• Sexy Mermaid
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2014, 12:33:23 pm »

They make money.
Reports say they made 100 million in profit last fiscal year. I feel like microsoft might go the nintendo way, and charge youtubers who play the game a fee to post videos. 

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2014, 03:40:08 pm »

They make money.
Reports say they made 100 million in profit last fiscal year. I feel like microsoft might go the nintendo way, and charge youtubers who play the game a fee to post videos. 

Now that is how you partially kill off a game instantly.

gavin1928374655

• Sexy Mermaid
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2014, 08:25:39 pm »

They make money.

Wouldn't be the first time microsoft screwed over a company

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2014, 10:59:09 pm »

They make money.

Wouldn't be the first time microsoft screwed over a company

Yeah, we know what happened to Rare.

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile

Tobs

• Senior Staff
  • Administrator
  • Champion Member
  • Banhammers must be worn at all times!
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2014, 01:56:55 pm »
$2,500,000,000... Wow. Going to be interesting to see what happens, and goodbye notch.

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2014, 02:14:21 pm »
Am I the only person who is actually happy about this deal?

Microsoft are capable of running 24/7 stable servers, unlike Mojang.
Microsoft have real coding and art talent.
Notch hasn't done anything for Minecraft development since 1.0.0, save attending Minecons.

Mojang have developed one decent game, and I really stress the word "decent". Minecraft has an intelligent concept and a decent execution (And probably deserves most of its success). However, Mojang is really a 1 hit wonder, not some well respected studio with history.

My only concern is that Microsoft will ask Mojang to prioritise Xbox 1, but I strongly doubt that will happen. Possibly they will not release new updates for the PS3/4, but I don't think that affects any of us.

Maybe Microsoft will actually fulfil Mojang's potential.

raul7legend

• Israeli Operator
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2014, 03:09:54 pm »
Am I the only person who is actually happy about this deal?
Most people are concerned regardless of the positives because Microsoft has quite a bit of experience with running video game companies to the ground.

Ramkitty

• The Thinker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2014, 03:20:22 pm »
So this is definately happening now... $2.5 Billion dollars!

https://mojang.com/2014/09/yes-were-being-bought-by-microsoft/

AnGamer

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2014, 03:26:43 pm »
the worst has happened lads

dinnerbone notch n jeb have all left

buckle up guys

DAY 1:
microsoft bought minecraft for $2.5 bil!

DAY 2:
minecraft comes out on windows phone!

DAY 3:
minecraft discontinued on all devices apart from windows phone and xbox!

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2014, 03:42:25 pm »
dinnerbone notch n jeb have all left
Where are you getting this info from? Notch, yes. Dinnerbone and Jeb are still with Mojang.