April 19, 2024, 10:04:06 pm

Author Topic: Mojang has been purchased by microsoft  (Read 27074 times)

raul7legend

• Israeli Operator
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mojang might be purchased by microsoft
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 05:04:30 am »
I just hope they don't do to Mojang what they did to Rare. RIP Rare

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 05:10:13 am »
It's important to remember that it's all rumors right now. We have no idea what will happen. I just think Microsoft would want to cash in on the brand name since I'm sure they have much better developers than mojang, not that mojang is bad.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

100penguin.

• Purveyor of Logic
  • Cash Bribes only, to be placed in the slot below.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 07:07:56 am »
I think they've missed a good chance. Quite why they want to buy mojang now rather than just before minecraft came out I don't know. Perhaps this seemingly unwise move implies that they have plans for mojang be them good or bad. However I do agree that there is a small risk that they could start fiddling with minecraft, but they'd still make a killing from all the new people  buying it as it becomes ever more popular.

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
  • Retired. Find me on Steam or IG.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 02:23:40 pm »
but they'd still make a killing from all the new people  buying it as it becomes ever more popular.

Minecraft is nearing the end of its lifetime from what I see. I don't know if I'm missing something but it feels like it.
I don't play Minecraft anymore and hardly come back to these forums. If you want to contact me, find me on Steam or Instagram. Username for everything is SalsaInABowl.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 02:24:45 pm »
but they'd still make a killing from all the new people  buying it as it becomes ever more popular.

Minecraft is nearing the end of its lifetime from what I see. I don't know if I'm missing something but it feels like it.
This could help extend its lifetime though.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

100penguin.

• Purveyor of Logic
  • Cash Bribes only, to be placed in the slot below.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 02:32:11 pm »
I agree nick. I'm sure it'll come with merits and disadvantages, but still - 2 billion dollars is an insane amount of money for something that is literally a computer game company. That's just me being jaded of course, and hopefully they will be able to use their [microsoft's] experience to let mojang flower again with perhaps yet another brilliant game, or better still fund the increasing development of minecraft.

gavin1928374655

• Sexy Mermaid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2014, 08:32:30 pm »

Idk why you keep saying this.. it is not true.  Just because our server (unfortunatley) has lost players, minecraft is not less popular.  More kids than EVER are playing minecraft, buying minecraft books/merch, and generally becoming hooked to the game.  If you walk through any elementary school I guarantee you will find 30 kids with minecraft shirts on, and lots more who play it.  (I know this from younger siblings + mentoring in elementary schools).

The decline in popularity of small, community based servers has been juxtaposed by the rapid increase in giant behemoths.  The ones mojang has targeted with the EULA. 

On Topic:  I don't think microsoft buying mojang could hurt that much.  If they don't blatantly fuck it up like some of their other ventures, I think they could potentially expand it; be it for money reasons and not actual interest in the game/community.

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
  • Retired. Find me on Steam or IG.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2014, 12:18:41 am »

Idk why you keep saying this.. it is not true.  Just because our server (unfortunatley) has lost players, minecraft is not less popular.

I was not talking about Opticraft, just to be clear. Minecraft as a whole.
I don't play Minecraft anymore and hardly come back to these forums. If you want to contact me, find me on Steam or Instagram. Username for everything is SalsaInABowl.

gavin1928374655

• Sexy Mermaid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2014, 12:54:28 am »

Idk why you keep saying this.. it is not true.  Just because our server (unfortunatley) has lost players, minecraft is not less popular.

Ik, I was just saying that minecraft as a whole is not losing popularity.  The only thing becoming less popular is small, community based servers like our own.  The overall game has taken the youth market by storm. Mainly xbox console editions.

UnknownHedgehog

• Pointy Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2014, 12:46:49 pm »

Ik, I was just saying that minecraft as a whole is not losing popularity.  The only thing becoming less popular is small, community based servers like our own.  The overall game has taken the youth market by storm. Mainly xbox console editions.
Back when I first heard Minecraft is losing popularity was shortly before it was confirmed as the best selling PC game ever.

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2014, 12:56:10 pm »

Back when I first heard Minecraft is losing popularity was shortly before it was confirmed as the best selling PC game ever.

Yeah, and the PS2 is the best selling games console ever. How many people do you know who still play on that?

UnknownHedgehog

• Pointy Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2014, 02:11:49 pm »

Yeah, and the PS2 is the best selling games console ever. How many people do you know who still play on that?

Except that'd be like if that was said right before it became the best selling console.

cattfish0612

• Digging dirt one block at a time :l ^
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2014, 08:03:03 pm »
Microsoft buying minecraft would be good for them as a company but bad for us as players. If they don't buy mojang, they are missing a million dollar market, When you buy minecraft you are buying a unfinished game, mojang has been very nice to give us FREE updates, Microsoft could come around and go "So you want 1.9" 4.99$ for each update and I'm willing to bet many kids will fall into that trap of buying those updates, and not to mention around holidays it goes from 5$ to 2.99. This is all hypothetical but isn't that far fetched, If Microsoft were to do this would you pay for the update?

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2014, 08:28:27 pm »
When you buy minecraft you are buying a unfinished game, mojang has been very nice to give us FREE updates

??? When you buy Minecraft, you're buying Minecraft. Nothing more, nothing less.

Mojang have been supplying updates to keep new people buying the game and keep publicity up. Nothing to be "nice".

gavin1928374655

• Sexy Mermaid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2014, 09:40:13 pm »
Microsoft buying minecraft would be good for them as a company but bad for us as players. If they don't buy mojang, they are missing a million dollar market, When you buy minecraft you are buying a unfinished game, mojang has been very nice to give us FREE updates, Microsoft could come around and go "So you want 1.9" 4.99$ for each update and I'm willing to bet many kids will fall into that trap of buying those updates, and not to mention around holidays it goes from 5$ to 2.99. This is all hypothetical but isn't that far fetched, If Microsoft were to do this would you pay for the update?
If they charged for updates then online player bases would become fragmented.  They would basically be killing their own game for no reason.