May 03, 2024, 05:25:02 pm

Author Topic: Lava Buckets in Furnaces  (Read 17954 times)

2468avc

• SMP Trusted
    • View Profile
Lava Buckets in Furnaces
« on: April 05, 2013, 09:43:54 pm »
Hi Everyone,
My suggestion is pretty much the topic. Lava buckets are by far the most efficient fuel in minecraft, it would be awesome to be able to use them in auto-smelters. There would have to be some code to make sure non- staff can't actually place lava, but I think this would be a good addition to the server.

2468avc

Also, there was an old post here...
http://www.opticraft.net/index.php/topic,14376.15.html
I didn't reply there because you all would've told me not to necro-post.
-2468avc

*Looking for a signature, feel free to make one for me :)*

360OLLIE

• Mank Demes
    • View Profile
Re: Lava Buckets in Furnaces
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 10:05:06 pm »
Non-staff already can't place lava avc.

tiggy26668

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 10:07:53 pm »
totally got shot down the first time i suggested. main arguments were, A) we'd harvest out the nether's lava, B) you get more overall time from blaze rods, 7680 secs for a stack vs 1000 secs for 1 lava bucket, (assuming u have infinite blaze rods  :-\ ) C) you'd have to sit at the furnace to keep adding blocks to not waste the time, and D)people would use it for griefing.

course with the addition of hoppers it's even more plausible to use since u could set up an hopper + minecart track that auto transports buckets right to a smelting area, so all you'd have to do is sit at a pool and scoop up 200 buckets, toss it into a hopper conveyor belt n woosh off to ur smelting area.

not to mention have a hopper feeding a constant flow of blocks into the furnaces/out of the furnaces so that non of the 1000 secs of smelting time goes to waste.

also we have 3 nethers now, so farming all the lava in all 3 in any amount of time is just unfathomable

and assuming the plugin keeping us from placing lava function correctly, griefing with it is a non issue.

supported it wen i suggested it the first time around, still support it now. it's a shame to lose items/blocks that are extremely useful like this one and still call ourselves a survival server, especially wen the plugin could just prevent placement to stop griefing, instead of preventing picking up and placement.
I'm Much more smarter admin than whoever banned me.

2468avc

• SMP Trusted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 10:44:42 pm »

Completely missing the point... *sighs*

totally got shot down the first time i suggested. main arguments were, A) we'd harvest out the nether's lava

To restate, we have 3 nethers. One was recently expanded, and all of them have HUGE lava lakes.

B) you get more overall time from blaze rods, 7680 secs for a stack vs 1000 secs for 1 lava bucket, (assuming u have infinite blaze rods  :-\ )

Assuming, of course, that you have infinite blaze rods...

C) you'd have to sit at the furnace to keep adding blocks to not waste the time

Um, I have a hopper system at my house that does this automatically.

D)people would use it for griefing.

And, as 360OLLIE already said, (completely missing the point [he knows i'm kidding, we're friends irl])

Thats pretty much it, just wanted to summarize and restate some main points.
-2468avc

iGenerator

• Super Trusted
  • Champion Member
  • Mayor of Rosenberg
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 11:20:07 pm »
Those weren't his points he was making, he was stating reasons his suggestion got shot down
Major Igenerator
City Planner for Stuttgart

DP

tiggy26668

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 11:37:11 pm »
Those weren't his points he was making, he was stating reasons his suggestion got shot down

followed by a bunch of reasons why the reasons it got shot down are irrelevant.....

but im pretty sure he was just summarizing for the lazies

360OLLIE

• Mank Demes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 02:04:59 am »

Completely missing the point... *sighs*

I feel so pathetic. :p

Pugabyte

• Haider
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 02:54:59 am »
I have tried using lava buckets and I was disappointed when I learned it was not possible, and I vowed to make a topic about it, but I was too lazy to start one.

That being said, I fully support this idea. Please implement it! Can't be that hard... can it?

Morrison1996

• I am the spawn of 2 worlds. I AM SlenderBrine.
  • Former moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 11:59:35 am »
I don't think the problem is that we will run out of lava. The problem would be the increased amount of lava flow. Flowing lava causes more lag then stagnant lava.

tiggy26668

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 02:29:23 pm »
I don't think the problem is that we will run out of lava. The problem would be the increased amount of lava flow. Flowing lava causes more lag then stagnant lava.

was another one of the topics of discussion in my original post, turns out flowing lava/stagnant lava makes no difference on lag, the only time it comes into play is when a lava bucket gets filled and it performs the calculations to produce the flowing lava. but unless everyone's grabbing lava buckets at the exact same time the calculations would never be overwhelming.

once the lava is done spreading it's basically stagnant lava with a different animation.

Sugna

• -woodenslime-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 02:20:48 pm »

You could always only be able to get lava buckets at the market for $100. Myabe
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

2468avc

• SMP Trusted
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 10:10:19 pm »
That could definitely work. Though maybe $125, we wouldn't want a noob going to the market saying "Hmm, lava... And I dont even have to go to the nether... Imma gonna buy! What!!!??? That was all my cash!!!??? Unfair!!!!!! (etc.)"

Edit: So... Do you think this will be added?

Do not double post - Merged.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 01:07:05 pm by Mr_Mr_Mr »
-2468avc

theone7142

• I'm Neo. Understand?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 01:54:38 am »
Don't double post.

Anyways, this idea should be implemented IF two criteria are met.

1: Nothing more important is being worked on.

2: It is easy to code.

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 02:40:31 am »
Basically to implement this:

1) Register a BlockPlaceEvent handler to the Opticraft server plugin (if not already done).
2) On the onBlockPlace method call add this:

public void onBlockPlace(BlockPlaceEvent bpEvent)
{
     if(bpEvent.getBlockPlaced().getType() ==  Material.STATIONARY_LAVA)
     {
          if(!bpEvent.getPlayer().hasPermission("some.override.permission.for.moderators")))
          {
               bpEvent.setCancelled(true);
          }
     }
}

Personally I would have preffered to combine the two IF statements into one using &&, but since the forum text editor was being wierd I found it to look nicer for viewing with two seperate statements.
Basically, on each and every block placement, the above method is called. Then we check if the block placed is STATIONARY_LAVA, or a lava source block which is what is placed by a filled lava bucket. If I'm wrong then simply change the Material.<material> part on the first IF statement.
If it is a lava block, then check to see if the player who placed the lava has the override permission (such as a moderator permission). Notice I have the ! in front of the hasPermission() call. For those who don't know how to program, that simply stands for if the player DOESNT have the permission. If not, then we set the event state to be cancelled, and Bukkit does the rest.

Add that to the opticraft plugin, and allow lava buckets to be used. That code will block lava placement, but not picking up lava. So long as we can fill a lava bucket, we can use it in a furnace. No harm can be done as long as players can't place the lava.

Best griefer name ^

tiggy26668

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 04:35:52 am »
Basically to implement this:

1) Register a BlockPlaceEvent handler to the Opticraft server plugin (if not already done).
2) On the onBlockPlace method call add this:

public void onBlockPlace(BlockPlaceEvent bpEvent)
{
     if(bpEvent.getBlockPlaced().getType() ==  Material.STATIONARY_LAVA)
     {
          if(!bpEvent.getPlayer().hasPermission("some.override.permission.for.moderators")))
          {
               bpEvent.setCancelled(true);
          }
     }
}

Personally I would have preffered to combine the two IF statements into one using &&, but since the forum text editor was being wierd I found it to look nicer for viewing with two seperate statements.
Basically, on each and every block placement, the above method is called. Then we check if the block placed is STATIONARY_LAVA, or a lava source block which is what is placed by a filled lava bucket. If I'm wrong then simply change the Material.<material> part on the first IF statement.
If it is a lava block, then check to see if the player who placed the lava has the override permission (such as a moderator permission). Notice I have the ! in front of the hasPermission() call. For those who don't know how to program, that simply stands for if the player DOESNT have the permission. If not, then we set the event state to be cancelled, and Bukkit does the rest.

Add that to the opticraft plugin, and allow lava buckets to be used. That code will block lava placement, but not picking up lava. So long as we can fill a lava bucket, we can use it in a furnace. No harm can be done as long as players can't place the lava.

lol you made the same mistake as cschurz  :P

what about lava that isn't stationary?  ;D