April 20, 2024, 11:03:56 am

Author Topic: Shinannigans on the minecraft.net multiplayer server list  (Read 5623 times)

Warhead

• View Profile
Shinannigans on the minecraft.net multiplayer server list
« on: March 12, 2012, 09:08:23 pm »
I would like to know what is up with your classic server on the multiplayer list.

It appears that you guys have cheated the system to keep your server hours from being reset along with everyone elses.

I hope you understand that the uptime hours are reset for a reason: to keep the playing field level for all servers so the same ones are not always at the top.

I am disappointed that you guys have lowered yourselves to this level just to get decent traffic on minecraft classic. The fact that you dont even have the moderators to handle that number of people is a whole other story.

Regardless, I have notified everyone at mojang that I can to look into the issue.

But seriously, the quality of your guest world stuns me every time I join. If you are going to steal all of the guests from other servers, at least give them a nice server to play on...

Cheers,
-Warhead

This is not meant to be me ranting about how opticraft sucks. You treat your ranked players very well, but I think that this issue of the multiplayer list has pissed a LOT of other servers off, and we will not let it slip by unnoticed any longer.

Warhead

• View Profile
Re: Shinannigans on the minecraft.net multiplayer server list
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 10:16:24 pm »
Sorry, I assumed you guys were the slightest bit informed about the new minecraft classic multiplayer list but apparently none of you are. Figures.

Well, let me shed some light on it.

The previous multiplayer list was organized by user count on each server. The servers with the most people on them were at the top of the list. Many servers figured out how to make it look as if there were more people on their server than their really were. Some of the servers that did this were Opticraft, Team9000 and ThunderCraft. It is known as the server heartbeat.

Because the smaller servers had no chance to ever get decent traffic, Jeb decided to rework the multiplayer list. The new one is based off of uptime. The server which has been up for the longest is at the top of the list. Seems fairly logical right? But there is a catch, because many of the big servers can run for months at a time without coming offline, Jeb designed the server list so it resets about once a week. This means that regardless how many hours your server has been online, every server is brought back to zero hours from the point of view of minecraft.net.

If you don't believe me, go look at the list right now. It was just resently reset. Notice how every single server except for Opticraft has 1 or 2 days. This is because Opticraft has found a way around it. The evidence is right there out in the open. You guys seem very defensive about it, but open your eyes. You can't deny the facts just because this is the server you happen to use.

I will wait for someone who actually has some knowledge about the running of your classic server to discuss this with. For the time being, please save yourselves from looking more dumb and ignorant ignorant and stop mocking me. Please point optical this way if you see him online. I would love to see what he has to say on the matter.

For now, I will hop into mumble to see if I can find someone useful.

Cheers,
-Warhead
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 10:18:12 pm by Warhead »

SpikeyThorn

• “Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.”
  • -Griefer impaler-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 10:21:52 pm »
So, it's based on uptime, Opticraft is a 24/7 server, There's your uptime

Problem?

EDIT :
EDIT: Do you work for mojang or something?
Why would someone from Mojang live in Massachusetts?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 10:24:04 pm by SpikeyThorn »

Warhead

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 10:29:43 pm »
So, it's based on uptime, Opticraft is a 24/7 server, There's your uptime

Problem?

EDIT :
EDIT: Do you work for mojang or something?
Why would someone from Mojang live in Massachusetts?

I don't even know how to respond to this. Next time, please read my post before commenting. kthxbai

JimmyWhiffler

• meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 10:29:57 pm »
Sorry, I assumed you guys were the slightest bit informed about the new minecraft classic multiplayer list but apparently none of you are. Figures.
please save yourselves from looking more dumb and ignorant ignorant
I'm sorry if anyone offended you in this topic, but I think the natural reaction to a post like this would be to think it was just a troll.  I don't know about you but I usually suspect that things like this are a troll's work, simply because of the vast numbers of them on the internet. 

I don't think calling everyone here "dumb and ignorant" really helps either.  Most people are not aware of the intricate details of the minecraft.net server lists so I think you could have forgiven that small gap in knowledge.

Again, apologies for thinking you a troll, but it was a natural conclusion to make, I think. 

You could perhaps provide some firm evidence that you do indeed work for Mojang so that we know where we stand.

This accusation should be taken very seriously, if genuine, and so I hope Optical posts a reply.

All I have to say to you sir. It's fucking sorcery. There's your answer.

Sorted?

I hope so.

SpikeyThorn

• “Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.”
  • -Griefer impaler-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 10:33:03 pm »
kthxbai

*Okay, thanks, goodbye

If your going to respond like that, at least use correct grammar, otherwise, I just cant take you seriously.

Thanks.

SoulKnightGT

• The Griefer Reaper
  • Champion Member
  • Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 10:34:27 pm »
kthxbai

*Okay, thanks, goodbye

If your going to respond like that, at least use correct grammar, otherwise, I just cant take you seriously.

Thanks.
Exactly what i was thinking. If you work with Mojang, then i would of thought they would have used the right grammar, not slang.
Holy balls.
Do not be afraid of your mistakes in the past Embrace them, Cherish them, and Reflect on them.

Redchecks

• The Creepy Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 10:36:56 pm »

Sorted?

I hope so.

Warhead

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 10:38:12 pm »
I'm sorry if anyone offended you in this topic, but I think the natural reaction to a post like this would be to think it was just a troll.  I don't know about you but I usually suspect that things like this are a troll's work, simply because of the vast numbers of them on the internet.  

I don't think calling everyone here "dumb and ignorant" really helps either.  Most people are not aware of the intricate details of the minecraft.net server lists so I think you could have forgiven that small gap in knowledge.

Again, apologies for thinking you a troll, but it was a natural conclusion to make, I think.  

You could perhaps provide some firm evidence that you do indeed work for Mojang so that we know where we stand.

This accusation should be taken very seriously, if genuine, and so I hope Optical posts a reply.

What made anyone think I worked for mojang? All I said was that I would notify the proper people at mojang to deal with the problem.

I presented my problem in the first post and got nothing but hostile replies because I was not taken seriously. I apologize for my language in my response, but I felt I had to use some harsh language to maintain my image here before I am thrown under the bus as a troll. I supported my claim with plenty of evidence in my second post. This should be taken seriously by all means. Jeb took steps to even out the playing field for all minecraft classic servers yet here we are again with a big server finding a bug and abusing it to get ahead.

noobies411

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 10:45:05 pm »

What made anyone think I worked for mojang? All I said was that I would notify the proper people at mojang to deal with the problem.

I presented my problem in the first post and got nothing but hostile replies because I was not taken seriously. I apologize for my language in my response, but I felt I had to use some harsh language to maintain my image here before I am thrown under the bus as a troll. I supported my claim with plenty of evidence in my second post. This should be taken seriously by all means. Jeb took steps to even out the playing field for all minecraft classic servers yet here we are again with a big server finding a bug and abusing it to get ahead.
Just go back to team9000 or thundercraft or wherever you came from and stop hating.

Fixed quote - Redchecks
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 10:48:42 pm by redchecks »

JimmyWhiffler

• meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 10:46:50 pm »
I'm sorry if anyone offended you in this topic, but I think the natural reaction to a post like this would be to think it was just a troll.  I don't know about you but I usually suspect that things like this are a troll's work, simply because of the vast numbers of them on the internet.  

I don't think calling everyone here "dumb and ignorant" really helps either.  Most people are not aware of the intricate details of the minecraft.net server lists so I think you could have forgiven that small gap in knowledge.

Well thanks for explaining, I suppose.  Can I just ask one thing, from what authority do you come from if you have the ability to contact people (who are presumably fairly high up at Mojang) if you are not actually an employee of it?  That is a genuine question, not just me trying to be hostile.  Many thanks.

EDIT: Sorry for putting that in my sig there, but it is going in my "Favourite Posts of Opticraft - 2012" box.
                                  |
                                  |
                                  |
                                  V
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 10:56:59 pm by JimmyWhiffler »

Sorted?

I hope so.

SoulKnightGT

• The Griefer Reaper
  • Champion Member
  • Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 10:50:39 pm »
Regardless, I have notified everyone at mojang that I can to look into the issue.
This is not meant to be me ranting about how opticraft sucks. You treat your ranked players very well, but I think that this issue of the multiplayer list has pissed a LOT of other servers off, and we will not let it slip by unnoticed any longer.
I guess that's where a few people got the idea from.
Holy balls.
Do not be afraid of your mistakes in the past Embrace them, Cherish them, and Reflect on them.

Warhead

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 11:10:15 pm »

Just go back to team9000 or thundercraft or wherever you came from and stop hating.

Fixed quote - Redchecks

I am disappointed that you continue to post immature comments. I suggest you look at JimmyWhiffler's comments. He is a good example of someone who has approached this in a respectable manner. I hope that a senior member here can put you in your place, seeing as I have no powers here to do so myself.

After re-reading my original post, I can see how I was mistook for a wrker at mojang. It should have read, "I have notified everyone I know at mojang of the issue so they can look into it."

As to who I know at mojang, I went to minecon and got in with some programers and software engineers there who work for mojang. I have personal emails for a few contacts in mojang. All I need is someone there who can tip of Jeb of the problem so it can be sorted out.

I am sure that the program being used to sort the multiplayer list can be re-written fairly quickly in a manner that doesn't allow for the uptime to be fudged by servers to give an unfair advantage. All it needed was for someone to point out the flaw to the right people, so here I am.

Redchecks

• The Creepy Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 11:19:11 pm »
As to who I know at mojang, I went to minecon and got in with some programers and software engineers there who work for mojang. I have personal emails for a few contacts in mojang. All I need is someone there who can tip of Jeb of the problem so it can be sorted out.

So you'll be able to back up your evidence that you went to minecon with the cape that you recieve for your character guy, correct?

EliteDelta

• Custom Title:
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 11:20:42 pm »
People, stop yelling at this guy. Warhead, if you have a question, please personal message our server owner, optical.