Would you support such changes?

Yes
28 (38.4%)
No
17 (23.3%)
I support some of them
28 (38.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author Topic: Proposed smp changes  (Read 96244 times)

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Proposed smp changes
« on: March 18, 2016, 07:45:32 pm »
After long discussions with optical, tobs, alicia, and deekay, we feel it would be in the servers best interests to make some changes and try to get people interested in the server again.

Proposed changes include:
- Complete wipe of the server (all worlds will be available for download)
- Simplification or removal of the economy system.
- Addition of pvp modes
- Addition of a player trading system
- Points system where players accumulate points for things like voting and doing everyday survival activities. These points can be used to buy protection or rare items.
- Change to a player defined protection field system

We believe these changes will create more of a survival feel to the server and encourage players to return to the server that they may have gotten bored with. Keep in mind these are all just proposed changes and we really want to know what you guys think about them because at the end of the day, it is really what you guys want, not us.

#MakeSurvivalGreatAgain
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 08:42:23 pm by Nick3306 »
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

gavin1928374655

• Sexy Mermaid
    • View Profile
Re: Proposed smp changes
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 08:31:47 pm »
I'm a big fan of the changes, one suggestion / thing I would like to see is full PVP.  If the world was either fully pvp or had only small protected zones that would be fun.  I feel like it would make the server more interesting to play on.  Also if you got sick of people building afk farms you could always just kill them! 

FNVcourierjon(SigilStone)

• Champion Member
  • Vault 102 Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 09:27:33 pm »
Why do people want to wipe the server?

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 09:53:03 pm »
Why do people want to wipe the server?
Many players we have talked to said they stopped playing because it got boring. When you have basically an infinite amount of money or items, survival becomes stale. We figured it was time to make our survival server actually survival.

For those of you who voted no, we would like to hear why.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:58:57 pm by Nick3306 »

Sade66

• [TRUSTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 10:29:13 pm »
I love the idea! I agree that SMP has fallen away from that "survival" aspect. I think (Depending on Funds) that we should have like and oldsmp.opticraft.net which would host the server in its current state for the people that still want their progress. :)

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 10:45:23 pm »
- Addition of pvp modes
- Points system where players accumulate points for things like voting and doing everyday survival activities. These points can be used to buy protection or rare items.

My opinions:

Yes
No
I'd be interested in more info, but right now leaning towards no (We've tried this before....)
Doubtful if this would make a huge difference
No

On a different note, I'm totally opposed to all these changes without two things:
1. I still think bungee should be the only priority of the server
2. A revised statement about OptiQuest (Don't try to work on them simultaneously...)

TheWholeLoaf

• The Architect
  • Architecture Is All
    • View Profile
    • Spawn Builder
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 10:50:06 pm »

On a different note, I'm totally opposed to all these changes without two things:
2. A revised statement about OptiQuest (Don't try to work on them simultaneously...)

Optiquest will be an on going project that wont end any time soon, so they will probably be worked on at the same time. There will be a slow period after release, but it will still be worked  on.
Go check out my website: www.minecraftspawnbuilder.weebly.com

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 10:52:36 pm »
- Addition of pvp modes

My opinions:

Yes
No
I'd be interested in more info, but right now leaning towards no (We've tried this before....)
No

The player trading system would make a huge difference if the economy was shrunk.
We have not tried proper PVP before, this would be properly programmed in PVP, not the ghetto version we created.
Bungeecord is also something we really want to do with this but we don't want to make promises.

Optiquest is barely effected by this, compared to the work that has to be done on optiquest, this is almost nothing.

UnknownHedgehog

• Pointy Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 11:01:00 pm »
-Sever world wipes: I disagree to a server wipe, but do agree with a fresh start. What I mean is that I like the idea of all the worlds being new and fresh, but I don't like the idea of the old worlds being wiped  (even if put up for download). What I would prefer are the old world's existing as an archive of sorts where players can still visit, but can not edit the world, while at the same time there being new worlds that are completely a fresh start to the new system.

-Economy Simplification: I'm not too sure on completely removing the economy system, but I do agree that simplification may be in order if we are to preserve the survival aspect of smp. For example, having only a few things on the market and raising the prices so that people aren't too reliant on the market. Though, I'm not sure about that either. What I would probably prefer would be a user based market where the players themselves set up stands at the market and sell things rather than the server. This would also make it truly an economy based on supply and demand as opposed to the anti-capitalist fixed market price we're currently slaves to. #MakeSurvivalGreatAgain

-PVP modes: Yup, pvp modes for sure so long as it is done properly.

-Player trading: I think the player trading idea might fall into what I said above.

-Point accumulation: Agree with this. Not much else to say.

-Player defined PS: Ditto.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 11:06:59 pm »
Great insight hedge, but wont making them non editable almost be like putting them up for download? I mean they would server no purpose except taking up space.

UnknownHedgehog

• Pointy Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 11:13:28 pm »
Great insight hedge, but wont making them non editable almost be like putting them up for download? I mean they would server no purpose except taking up space.

I think more along the lines of them being there as more of to keep history of the server. Older players would know to download them, but newer ones probably won't. Plus, the countless hours each player put on the server would still be on the server, which is more convenient for older players to reminisce about things, and newer interested players who want to see the old worlds.

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 11:26:58 pm »
The player trading system would make a huge difference if the economy was shrunk.
We have not tried proper PVP before, this would be properly programmed in PVP, not the ghetto version we created.
Bungeecord is also something we really want to do with this but we don't want to make promises.

Optiquest is barely effected by this, compared to the work that has to be done on optiquest, this is almost nothing.

You'd need to go into more detail on what a trading system means. I mean, it could be some kind of auction plugin (which I don't think would be widely used), or it could be entirely removing the buying part of the market, and replacing it with player run shops (which have their own problems with inactivity, etc...)

Again, I think more detail would be helpful. Are we talking a total pvp faction server? A pvp gamemode (As in type /duel, queues you up, you fight another player)? Some kind of /pvp command to enable combat?

As for Bungeecord, I'll keep pestering you guys till you try ;) It's something I really, really support.

And just to confirm, is there any ETA of Optiquest? Are we talking 3-4 months, or far, far future?

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 11:31:38 pm »

You'd need to go into more detail on what a trading system means. I mean, it could be some kind of auction plugin (which I don't think would be widely used), or it could be entirely removing the buying part of the market, and replacing it with player run shops (which have their own problems with inactivity, etc...)

Again, I think more detail would be helpful. Are we talking a total pvp faction server? A pvp gamemode (As in type /duel, queues you up, you fight another player)? Some kind of /pvp command to enable combat?

As for Bungeecord, I'll keep pestering you guys till you try ;) It's something I really, really support.

And just to confirm, is there any ETA of Optiquest? Are we talking 3-4 months, or far, far future?
1. It would be a player to player trading system, an auction system wouldnt make sense since there is no currency.
2. As for the type of pvp, i said it would just be pvp modes. The player would be put into a ready queue with his or her party and be teleported to the arena when the game starts and then teleported back to where they were in the main world when it is over.

As for optiquest, we said in the optiquest thread that the alpha version should be released around mid summer.

codepmman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 11:34:27 pm »
Breaking my silence!
Are you guys insane? Really and truly, if you implement this many changes then is it really still Opticraft? It's like if I handed you a lemon and tried to tell you "It's an orange!" The market and economy is half the reason Opticraft is bearable (explained later.) To integrate this points system is ridiculous. Not everyone wants to play little games or go on quests. Some people want to dig and build.
I may not play a bunch now, but I'm speaking up for those who may feel that speaking up might cost them their position within the community. I am worried about this as well, but I feel this needs to be said regardless of the repercussions. If I was to fully lose Opticraft I would be sad, but I could not watch you completely change the server and say nothing.
 Also, kind of interested why only one operator was consulted when there are several that still play on the server regularly, and not to single him out, but generally this is a staff decision and from what I know, Deekay is not currently staff on SMP. As shown in the past, your rank on SMP does not carry over to Creative, and so Creative ranks should not carry over to SMP. I understand this post is your sad attempt at asking people their opinion, but you really should talk to more SMP staff members before going public. Not to mention THE OWNER of the server has countless times expressed that he does not like these sorts of changes, and I'm sure if his opinion has changed at all, it is only because he grows weary of your constant badgering.
You seem to want to change Opticraft and turn it into something that it is not. You went and made a Creative server and decided that it would be cool to throw the Opticraft name on it... Does that make it Opticraft? You tried to make PvP, but that's not Opti either. You are now trying to make it more like a quest based server in that people would have to collect points for "rare blocks" or "protection" but that's still no Opticraft. People like this server because it is survival with a market, sans PvP... Simple. Now granted it needs some cleaning up but not a whole revamp.
Never really told anyone as to why I stopped playing. It's not because I was bored, it's because of you Nick, and your band of goons bringing up drama and always trying to change things. I quit because I grew up and didn't want to deal with cry babies. I know my opinion might not matter because I really don't play much any more, but as stated previously, I only stopped because of Nick and his lackeys.
To the people saying that they would like PvP, go to a PvP server. Nick got us to try PVP on Opticraft, and from what I hear it is almost never used. People saying they got bored because they had too much money? Start over! Don't rely on the market, get stuff manually! The problem is not with Opticraft, it is with the player. If you don't like it, don't play. If it's not your style, then sorry - but this is no reason to fundamentally change Opticraft as a whole.
Creepin........Like a boss

BECAUSE IM BIGGER THAN YOU

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 11:49:39 pm »
Breaking my silence!
Are you guys insane? Really and truly, if you implement this many changes then is it really still Opticraft? It's like if I handed you a lemon and tried to tell you "It's an orange!" The market and economy is half the reason Opticraft is bearable (explained later.) To integrate this points system is ridiculous. Not everyone wants to play little games or go on quests. Some people want to dig and build.
I may not play a bunch now, but I'm speaking up for those who may feel that speaking up might cost them their position within the community. I am worried about this as well, but I feel this needs to be said regardless of the repercussions. If I was to fully lose Opticraft I would be sad, but I could not watch you completely change the server and say nothing.
 Also, kind of interested why only one operator was consulted when there are several that still play on the server regularly, and not to single him out, but generally this is a staff decision and from what I know, Deekay is not currently staff on SMP. As shown in the past, your rank on SMP does not carry over to Creative, and so Creative ranks should not carry over to SMP. I understand this post is your sad attempt at asking people their opinion, but you really should talk to more SMP staff members before going public. Not to mention THE OWNER of the server has countless times expressed that he does not like these sorts of changes, and I'm sure if his opinion has changed at all, it is only because he grows weary of your constant badgering.
You seem to want to change Opticraft and turn it into something that it is not. You went and made a Creative server and decided that it would be cool to throw the Opticraft name on it... Does that make it Opticraft? You tried to make PvP, but that's not Opti either. You are now trying to make it more like a quest based server in that people would have to collect points for "rare blocks" or "protection" but that's still no Opticraft. People like this server because it is survival with a market, sans PvP... Simple. Now granted it needs some cleaning up but not a whole revamp.
Never really told anyone as to why I stopped playing. It's not because I was bored, it's because of you Nick, and your band of goons bringing up drama and always trying to change things. I quit because I grew up and didn't want to deal with cry babies. I know my opinion might not matter because I really don't play much any more, but as stated previously, I only stopped because of Nick and his lackeys.
To the people saying that they would like PvP, go to a PvP server. Nick got us to try PVP on Opticraft, and from what I hear it is almost never used. People saying they got bored because they had too much money? Start over! Don't rely on the market, get stuff manually! The problem is not with Opticraft, it is with the player. If you don't like it, don't play. If it's not your style, then sorry - but this is no reason to fundamentally change Opticraft as a whole.
You post is very uninformed. Couple things.
1. Optical agreed to this without any pressure
2. You state " Not everyone wants to play little games or go on quests." but none of that will even be added showing that you dont even have a clue as to what you are talking about.
3. Staff is being consulted right now, this is consulting them. This is much easier then going around to every member and talking to them individually, this way everyone can voice their opinions here.
4. NOTHING gets done on this server without opticals approval, so your accusations that this is all somehow my doing (Even though we also have two admins) shows incredible bias and misunderstanding.
5. Your arguments fall flat because currently there are more yes votes than no, so clearly players feel the same way as we do.

Lastly, I would like to applaud you for showing great maturity in your post.