April 29, 2024, 05:15:00 am

Author Topic: vote rankings  (Read 2836 times)

Kascas

• View Profile
vote rankings
« on: August 01, 2013, 11:40:56 am »
Just wondering how vote rankings are decided for players with the same ammount of votes.
I busted all my possible solutions, im so curious now  :D
OPTI!
(click to show/hide)
Need Water?
(click to show/hide)
LIGHT MY PORTAL!
(click to show/hide)
Boats
(click to show/hide)

DJAlphaWolf

• Former "Super Recruit"
  • Champion Member
  • Self Proclaimed Opticraft Entertainer
    • View Profile
Re: vote rankings
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 11:52:39 am »
In the case of a tie, the players share the rank immediately below the highest rank(unless they are the highest, in which case they all share rank 1)

Examples:
1. Mr. A at 50 votes 1. Mr. B at 50 votes 1. Mr.C at 50 votes.

1. Mr. A at 50 votes 2. Mr. B at 49 votes 2. Mr.C at 49 votes.

1. Mr. A at 50 votes 2. Mr. B at 49 votes 3. Mr.C at 48 votes 3. Mr. D at 48 votes.

In the examples you see above, if there is a tie for first place, they all recieve the $30 worth of donations reward (as any first place rank would). If there is a tie for second place, they all receive the $20 worth of donations reward(as any second place rank would). If there is a tie for 3rd place, they all recieve a $10 worth of donations reward (as any third place rank would).

Theoretically an infinite amount of people can share rank 1 or rank 2 or rank 3 if they have the same amount of votes.

Examples:
1. Mr. A at 50 votes 1. Mr. B at 50 votes 1. Mr.C at 50 votes 1. Mr. D at 50 votes. 1. Mr. E at 50 votes 1. Mr. F at 50 votes...... 1. Mr Z. at 50 votes

1. Mr. A at 50 votes 2. Mr. B at 49 votes 2. Mr.C at 49 votes 2. Mr. D at 49 votes. 2. Mr. E at 49 votes 2. Mr. F at 49 votes...... 2. Mr Z. at 49 votes

1. Mr. A at 50 votes 2. Mr. B at 49 votes 3. Mr.C at 48 votes 3. Mr. D at 48 votes. 3. Mr. E at 48 votes 3. Mr. F at 48 votes...... 3. Mr Z. at 48 votes
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 12:11:59 pm by DJAlphaWolf »

Kascas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 02:44:46 pm »
Actualy i know all the above, sorry for being vage XD

I ment just the ranking itself, what decides whos 1st 2nd 3rd eventho same votes
OPTI!
(click to show/hide)
Need Water?
(click to show/hide)
LIGHT MY PORTAL!
(click to show/hide)
Boats
(click to show/hide)

Tobs

• Senior Staff
  • Administrator
  • Champion Member
  • Banhammers must be worn at all times!
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 03:23:46 pm »
I think you're going to have to ask even clearer as from what I see, DJ answered that already :P
If they are the same votes, they will be joint 1st 2nd 3rd etc. They will not be ranked differently if they are the same. I think this is what you're asking...

EDIT: Ohh, you mean on the Top Voters list itself?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 04:34:44 pm by Tobs »

Kascas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 04:56:06 pm »
sorry was at work on my phone, with limited time, coudnt clearly state my question, sorry for the confusion

i indeed ment the list itself tobs
i know it doesnt matter at all, but i just cant get it out of my mind  :D
why is ckev first and zoea last

its not alfabetical, least vote time, voted first, or any other logic i could think off
nor is it random, since it seems to keep the same ppl for some time before changing again

my current guess is random that changes everytime someone votes
.....but true randomness does not exists

edit: i think i found my answer, when refreshing the list, for some reason it showed the same output multiple times making my "its random" guess busted, yet, i just tryed spam refreshing and found it, it was not busted at all its totaly random

yet again sorry for waisting all your time, for this bs  :D just had to know it
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 05:16:12 pm by Kascas »
OPTI!
(click to show/hide)
Need Water?
(click to show/hide)
LIGHT MY PORTAL!
(click to show/hide)
Boats
(click to show/hide)

frobalt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 05:18:08 pm »
If I had to take a shot in the dark, the top voters list is generated using a SQL query that will only order by votes descending.

It will be ordered by another field where ties are concerned, which is likely to be the primary key for the users table, so the order is based on when the people joined up.

I'm really tired atm so sorry if this doesn't make sense.

optical

• Administrator
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 03:16:41 am »
If I had to take a shot in the dark, the top voters list is generated using a SQL query that will only order by votes descending.

It will be ordered by another field where ties are concerned, which is likely to be the primary key for the users table, so the order is based on when the people joined up.

This is probably the case. Its likely whoever voted first ever -Whoever joined the server first. However I am just guessing as well, its an internal MySQL behavior and not something explicitly chosen.

Gogar72

• Architect
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 01:21:56 am »

frobalt are you just to smart? you just buzz me out :P