June 09, 2024, 10:39:59 pm

Poll

What should I make my houses out of in my city?

Dark wood
Stone brick
Netherbrick
Endstone
Stone
Normal wood

Author Topic: What should I make my houses out of in my city?  (Read 2541 times)

rytovius

• Minecraft is not mindcrack
    • View Profile
What should I make my houses out of in my city?
« on: May 16, 2012, 10:20:53 pm »
I'm building a city and it's coming along nice. I started building an inner-city of 11 by 11 wood houses. It looks a little bland. I was wondering what you think the best material is for the houses, and the best design. If you post pictures of what you think I should do, and I use the design, I will give you a free iner-city house. If you donate supplys, and help me build I will give you a large house, and you could possibly me on the city board.

NateN

• Slap my nip
    • View Profile
Re: What should I make my houses out of in my city?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 10:30:41 pm »
Come by my city (/home nateneal). We built up in a dessert biome, and use mostly stone bricks for construction. While they take a while to make, it's worth it. Wood cities are pretty bland IMO, and not as "clean". We use a mixture of various wool colors, stone bricks, sandstone, and some wood. A variation in materials, while still sticking to one as your "staple" construction material is the best way to go.

rytovius

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 12:02:45 am »
Ya stone looks nice. But I don't really want the houses completely stone.

harif

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 06:14:06 am »
and who's stoping you?
just use all the materials, make combinations of them, put one on eachother and see which one fits.
be creative, and like nate see, you can just visit our city and take a look at some combinations.

24kGold

• Nibiru Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 09:18:19 am »
Personal preference, of course. Depends on the biome. If it's foresty, I've been on this nether brick/wood combo lately. I think it looks really great. If it's desert, I'd definitely go with sandstone/wood planks. Mess around and see what you like. Wools always a good idea, especially since fire and creepers can't harm them on this server. Travel the towns to gather ideas. Good luck, hope to see yours up soon.
Team Fruitas y Vegetables, Renato Laranja Jiu-Jitsu Brasileņo

rytovius

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 11:34:26 am »
Personal preference, of course. Depends on the biome. If it's foresty, I've been on this nether brick/wood combo lately. I think it looks really great. If it's desert, I'd definitely go with sandstone/wood planks. Mess around and see what you like. Wools always a good idea, especially since fire and creepers can't harm them on this server. Travel the towns to gather ideas. Good luck, hope to see yours up soon.

Ya I'm just going to mess around with the design.

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 04:42:43 am »
I can't really vote on your list because I think one type of house makes a city very plain.  Heck, using one kind of material in a building makes the building look plain.  Mix it up!

- A stone house with log edging, a cobble base, and wooden stairs roof.
- A wood house with log edging, netherbrick base, and stone step roof.
- A netherbrick house with stone edging, cobble base, and wood step roof.
- A sandstone house with plank edging, stone base, and a nether stairs roof.

Get creative and mix up your designs.  It makes your houses look 10x better and your city will reflect that as well.  Dont' stop there, trim makes it look even better!  Put window boxes under the windows.  Put overhangs on the roofs.  Put staircases on some houses, decks on others.  Don't forget to add hedges and fences for that extra yard detail!  Make it interesting!

Happy building!   ;D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 04:45:26 am by ViperZeroOne »
"I griefed because my dog sat on my mouse and farted!"
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

Dark Knight eh?.... I'M BATMAN!!!  ;)