May 02, 2024, 07:18:54 pm

Author Topic: Cave Spider EXP Grinder  (Read 5667 times)

Midgetized

• View Profile
Cave Spider EXP Grinder
« on: May 09, 2012, 02:01:11 am »
This grinder uses 3 spawners but only can get 2 to work at a time, planning on altering it a little to try an get all 3 to pop em out at a time. But so far the spiders just PILE UP.

I have to apologize because I got curious just how much spiders there were after I waited 5minutes and used a x-ray texture pack that I removed after this photo. It removes the visibility of stone/cobble/dirt ect.

They can't squeeze through those fence posts and I'm just out of reach of their attacks but can still slap them. Basically I grind them until it's cleared up, break the wool block, go down and collect the loot then rebuild my pedestal.

Background Info:
I found a mineshaft when digging around after I moved from my old place. I'm at the world's border. And in the mineshaft I found a spider spawner near bedrock and built a basic spawner cage around it which sucked because bedrock blocked me from other plans. Then explored the shafts further and found 2 more on another floor almost near another.

I tried connecting them via tunnels but the spiders just climbed the walls instead of being pushed with water into the central room.
Made lips that limited wall cilmbing but they just decided to ignore them and just hug the walls instead.
Then got mad and just made a massive room that encompassed them all with water pushing them into the middle.
Then I'm trying to get all 3 spawners to work together instead of the two at a time.
Sometimes a little bit of pessimism goes further than a stream of optimism, it lets you see both sides of the coin and break the illusion of the reality that others built around you.

Jericho

• The Thinker
    • View Profile
Re: Cave Spider EXP Grinder
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 02:12:31 am »
Sweet! ;) Are you close enough to the third spider spawner for it to spawn, thats all I can think of to get it to work atm. Now, if its design, possibly use pistons to get them closer?

illiwill

• Smp Trusted/Classic Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 03:10:32 am »
You shouldn't use an x-ray texture pack. At least you removed it, but you really shouldn't use it.

NateN

• Slap my nip
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 03:13:46 am »
I can use?  ::)

Midgetized

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 04:12:00 am »
oreo I used it for 2 seconds for that screen shot and to replace anything in that room with stuff like glass would be deadly as you can see.

NateN, sure just go to my home and look out in the water, you'll see a random stone hut that you can climb into

But to use the grinder isn't slap and collect.

Bring a bow with a few arrows to use in the view slot on the way down the ladder b/c spiders like to rest on the spawner which decreases spawn rates.

Basically your going to be on a raised platform that prevents the spiders from hitting you. But you won't be able to get exp or item drops when your killings them. So to get it you hug the fence posts and walk back on to the raised platform. To essentially to clear it all out break the wool blocks and kill the rest and collect. Then rebuild the pedestal.

To get the best out of it, sit on the platform and wait 5minutes, go eat some snacks and come back and there will be about 20+ spiders all humping there way at you. Don't wait like 30minutes or else there will be 100s that will make you lag badly. Did that and had to set video all the way down to lowest setting: no particles, tiny view range, powersaver performance, no noise/music, and fast setting with no shading.

I would make redstone mechanisms that make it easier but bedrock prevents me from doing it.
Sometimes a little bit of pessimism goes further than a stream of optimism, it lets you see both sides of the coin and break the illusion of the reality that others built around you.

Interbane

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 08:21:31 pm »
The 16 block aggro range is the problem variable.  When spiders aggro, they are extremely difficult to control, as they climb and glitch and squirm.  If bedrock is too near the underside of the three spawners, you need to have your "AFK station" above the spawners, so even falling a few blocks removes them from aggro range. 

From that point, they can be controlled with water.  Flush them to the side and build an elevator.  There is an elevator design that works with spiders even when they aggro, using fence posts and signs.  Once they raise up within the elevator to aggro range, they are already stuck in the "flow" of the water, so are unable to escape. 

You'll need to flush them far enough sideways(also 16 blocks) so that more spawn.  Do this before you elevate them, as it needs to be ASAP to get maximum spawn rate.

valkyrieX888

• Daily Ragnarok Monsters
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 02:51:34 pm »
Ohgreat you found 3 cave spider spawners?? Wow you r lucky!! ;)

devzer0

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 03:19:34 pm »
Interbane: do you have more details for a cave spider system? Liniks, vids? I want to do some XP grinding, but right now all I have is a skelly farm (which is good for growing stuff and getting arrows but is not so helpful for XP). I've seen tripple spider spawners but never had the curage to figure out a mob system.

Interbane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 06:59:31 pm »
I don't know of any links/vids.  I watched a bunch in parts and pieces to figure out the game mechanics.  Once you know the game mechanics, you can basically build according to the algorithm(s). 

Basically, if you know how to channel mobs with water, all you need to learn is the spider elevator.  You'd have to google it, I forget what videos show the details. 

Where the spiders are "channeled" must be out of aggro range of yourself, usually a dozen or more blocks below you, so that they are also out of range of the spawner so that more may spawn. 

The place I found actually has 4 spawners, but I haven't integrated the other, as it's right at max distance.  I do not channel any of my spiders yet, as my clump is also at bedrock.  I know what I need to do, I just would rather not bother someone with placing all that water. 

devzer0

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 07:09:03 pm »
Depending on the details of the cave spider elevator, I find that for much of my mob system work I can find a source above and then use channels/gravity/ducts to get it to the right place rather than bothering trusted/mod players. I have a tall mob elevator and complete spawner mob system for the skelly spawner I found that uses only one source block o_O

It can be a fair amount of work, but I find it rewarding, like solving a puzzle.

Spamarian

• Top Voter
  • Champion Member
  • YoO0Oo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 07:28:23 pm »
I sell cave spider spawner. Easy accessible with stable home.
Contact me in game for the sale!

Midgetized

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 03:06:05 pm »
Update

I remade the system and made it into a 1-hit kill grinder

Basically the 3 spawners are encased into 9x9x5 rooms where they spawn and water pushes them into a canal system. But since the spiders like to climb walls i had to adjust the canal system to where they are pushed into 1 block high water canals. To make it here's a video of how its built and works. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f8wUDAw2zI&feature=fvwrel

But since only two spawner will work at a time I made a rail system that will let all 3 to spit them out, you ride in it, go afk and use the mechanism