June 16, 2024, 06:21:55 am

Author Topic: Farmable items not growing???  (Read 6858 times)

sniperdoc

• View Profile
Farmable items not growing???
« on: May 07, 2012, 12:22:37 am »
Hey everyone,

I'm relatively new to the server and am curious about something.

When I plant anything like wheat, trees, or even worse, melons, sugarcane, or pumpkins, they don't grow. When I say don't grow... I could be sitting there for 3 hours and I won't get ANY growth on my Sugarcane. When doing melons or pumpkins the plant itself takes beyond 2 hours to grow, the melon and pumpkin fruit a little less long. I watched a movie and then some and stuff didn't grow at all... that's not right...?

Wheat seems to grow the fastest out of the lot, but man... 3 hours or so for it to grow? Wiki says somewhere around 37 minutes for full growth on default server.

Now I don't know if this is related, but spawners spawn enemies limited and slowly.

Considering that the market is severely skewed and you can't really make good money off the market (some items not even 1/2 cost to sell...) I'm slowly starving spending my cash on food since nothing I am trying to grow is sufficient to get by... since it WON'T GROW.

Is this a bug... how long is this bug going to go on? What is causing it? All I know this isn't normal...

Doc

Midgetized

• View Profile
Re: Farmable items not growing???
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 04:17:42 am »
Make sure you have the plants fully lit by either torches or glowstone.
Make sure your melons/pumpkins have enough room to plop their fruits on and not a cluster of stems
For melon/pumpkin stems it's best to use bonemeal to help them along since it takes forever normally.
Pumpkins and melons do require sufficient water as well
Trees, make sure if there is a roof above it, that there is atleast 6 blocks ground to roof and they do require space and light to grow.
With trees it's best to place them 2 blocks away from each other tree and wall.
Wheat to Bread is your best bet at getting food, make a plantation of wheat about 64 plants big, bigger the better.
Plants will only grow if your nearby about 128 blocks.

But there is sporadic growth rates, bonemeal will be the best bet for constant sources of resources and cactus and sugar cane do take long times to grow, do not know why but they only grow when I'm not looking.
Sometimes a little bit of pessimism goes further than a stream of optimism, it lets you see both sides of the coin and break the illusion of the reality that others built around you.

Midgetized

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 04:22:18 am »
Also don't worry too much about food unless your discovering extensive caves or long distance adventures. It only limits you to 1/2 health without regen. use your /sethome near large construction project for easy access to any dropped loot from falls. I usually don't eat food and let my health just stay 1/2 and when I die I just run back.

Money is hard to come by, your best bet is pumpkin farming or melon farming about 100 plants big to maintain about 1k income.
Sometimes a little bit of pessimism goes further than a stream of optimism, it lets you see both sides of the coin and break the illusion of the reality that others built around you.

illiwill

• Smp Trusted/Classic Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 05:19:44 am »
With melons and pumpkins, make sure there is not a block on top of the melon or pumpkin stem. Aldo, have a well lit area

sniperdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 12:57:15 pm »
Well, that's just it. I'm doing everything Midget mentioned and it's still mega mega mega slow. I have Jack-o-Lanterns lighting up everything that's supposed to grow. Yesterday I logged in and just sat in the middle of my plot for 2 hours and this is what happened:

1. New wheat grew 1/2 way.
2. Pumpkins (the fruit) grew 1 out of 3.
3. Melons
-- a. out of 3 fully grown stalks (used the 1 bone-meal i had) grew 1 Melon.
-- b. out of 7 seedlings grew NO stalks, 2 grew 1/2 way, the rest 1/4.
4. This is the kicker, virtually NO GROWTH on Sugar Cane. The reason why this is a kicker, I had over 66 plants (with 1 plant that grew 1 block length) that I basically just tore down and went and bought the bookshelves instead. The time it took was just atrocious.

All the items are lit artificially, have water, plenty of daylight.

Something is not right on the server. Over 2 hours of just sitting within my plot waiting for stuff to grow and it doesn't? Maybe it's because I'm just at registered status and not trusted? I don't know... it's just hella frustrating.

Considering almost NOTHING spawns out in my territory mob wise. I think in my last 5 times on the server I've seen 1 zombie, 1 spider and 1 skeleton. So, that'll tell you my bone-meal situation. Personally, I feel like the market is being pushed vs natural growth and acquisition of goods/food. About the only good thing is that I have a Spider spawner near me, so experience WOULD be good, if the spawn rate actually represented real spawn rates. Even the spawn rate in my area is abysmal. I sat near the spawner for 3 minutes and had 1 spider spawn... again... something not right. On other servers that room I built would have been filled with spiders.

Boshiwarrior

• (JO,O)J FUSRODAH === ¶___¶
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 01:05:05 pm »
Do you have ENOUGH water in your farm? Make screenshots too, please. That whould be easier to see wrong things.

The spawn is low on the moment. We already know that. They are seeking for the problems (I think).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQKKj_qeOBQ
!Boshiwarrior is returning to the Opticraft!

Midgetized

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 01:13:48 pm »
Don't look at the plants when they grow, I find that they grow slower when you do. Perhaps they are embarrassed when you watch them dress up.

sniperdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 01:57:27 pm »
@midget: lol No, actually I wasn't looking at them either.

@Boshi: There's enough water. My melons and pumpkin plots are very small and definitely within the water's effect radius. As far as the sugar cane, it has to be next to water anyways, I have my sugar cane set around a lake. Concerning the wheat farm and water requirements (http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/File:WheatFarmPatternAR8x81W2T.png). That's pretty much my layout.

My plot is on the near the edge of the world, so maybe that's affecting me somehow?

zombieravemaster

• i quit opticraft for realz now ;)
    • View Profile
    • friendlyplayers
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 02:10:15 pm »
Don't look at the plants when they grow, I find that they grow slower when you do. Perhaps they are embarrassed when you watch them dress up.
lol XD... its not that, i had sugar canes growing that weren't growing for days, so i removed them.
click this plz

dunno wat im up too now adays? look for me on steam.

sniperdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 07:07:51 pm »
Same here. I just left a few to monitor their growth now. There definitely is an issue and it needs to be looked at.

On a side note: If the market is so skewed on the sell side that you can't make any money just starting out growing things, then you'll starve before you get a chance to BE profitable. I don't think they understand that. I don't think anyone sits and thinks about the balance of the market properly anyway. Someone should do the math and figure out how much iron or gold ore needs to be sold to buy a Diamond Protection block... yeah... no way in hell anyone will make enough cash to buy one.

If you can't grow any food then you need to buy it. Compare that with the values of ore sales. Yeah... pretty crappy and not well thought out at all.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 07:13:00 pm »
Same here. I just left a few to monitor their growth now. There definitely is an issue and it needs to be looked at.

On a side note: If the market is so skewed on the sell side that you can't make any money just starting out growing things, then you'll starve before you get a chance to BE profitable. I don't think they understand that. I don't think anyone sits and thinks about the balance of the market properly anyway. Someone should do the math and figure out how much iron or gold ore needs to be sold to buy a Diamond Protection block... yeah... no way in hell anyone will make enough cash to buy one.

If you can't grow any food then you need to buy it. Compare that with the values of ore sales. Yeah... pretty crappy and not well thought out at all.
You misunderstand the purpose of the market. It is a luxury, it is not there for you to get all your supplies and blocks from.
And by the way, before you make an ignorant comment like "no way in hell anyone will make enough cash to buy one" maybe you should type /balancetop in game.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

sniperdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 10:55:29 pm »
@Nick: Before YOU go off and start a flame war with your "ignorant" comment you should be reminded that NEW players can't survive if they don't fix the farmable item issue. Maybe I should have prefaced it with that... but, maybe your "ignorant" brain should have understood that by my comments.

And about that /balance statement... It's pretty much rhetorical that people that have millions of dollars in game shouldn't have a problem... now should they? They're already well established, have whatever they need, and are pretty much yanking on their privates waiting for something exciting to happen.

The fact that the market is a luxury is also understood. Why then bother "monitoring" and adjusting pricing? Why bother if it is just a luxury? Let people sell protection stones and diamonds. What they're doing now is making it harder for younger players to even bother competing cash wise. But again... as a "veteran" member you probably wouldn't get that concept either because of your "ignorance".

As it stands NEW [had to make that clear for you] people will run out of money and starve before any of their food grows.

Next time, would you mind being a bit more respectful before throwing the "ignorance" out there? Doesn't feel nice coming at you with that does it?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 11:06:34 pm by sniperdoc »

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 11:42:04 pm »
Your comments dont say anything really, all you are doing is complaining about the market and the prices. Everyone else seems to have no problem with their farms growing. And yes, it is harder for new players to get money, that is how it works. you cant just magically come onto the server and start raking in cash. You have to work for it.

I only responded the way I did because you have such a bad attitude in your posts. If you want people to respond in a kind manner, drop the bad attitude or your stay here will be a short one.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

illiwill

• Smp Trusted/Classic Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 12:22:07 am »
@Nick: Before YOU go off and start a flame war with your "ignorant" comment you should be reminded that NEW players can't survive if they don't fix the farmable item issue. Maybe I should have prefaced it with that... but, maybe your "ignorant" brain should have understood that by my comments.

And about that /balance statement... It's pretty much rhetorical that people that have millions of dollars in game shouldn't have a problem... now should they? They're already well established, have whatever they need, and are pretty much yanking on their privates waiting for something exciting to happen.

The fact that the market is a luxury is also understood. Why then bother "monitoring" and adjusting pricing? Why bother if it is just a luxury? Let people sell protection stones and diamonds. What they're doing now is making it harder for younger players to even bother competing cash wise. But again... as a "veteran" member you probably wouldn't get that concept either because of your "ignorance".

As it stands NEW [had to make that clear for you] people will run out of money and starve before any of their food grows.

Next time, would you mind being a bit more respectful before throwing the "ignorance" out there? Doesn't feel nice coming at you with that does it?

You should talk nicer to an admin you know. Keep in mind this is SURVIVAL SERVER! I starved as well. You just have to WORK to get what you want.

Midgetized

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 01:31:37 am »
Food? My method of replenishing health is dying, it does not matter to me. Only when it happens when I get out of hand in tunnels and travel 100 miles in one direction and find something neat. Plan: Find plot, spend week building farms and harvesting, week 2 mine, week 3+ whatever