May 15, 2024, 01:11:32 pm

Author Topic: All my thoughts collected on PvP (Great idea)  (Read 2805 times)

NateN

• Slap my nip
    • View Profile
All my thoughts collected on PvP (Great idea)
« on: May 03, 2012, 12:50:52 am »
Go the bottom for ideas I add on.

I know, it's a bit of a redundancy, but I just wanted to compile my thoughts from these two threads:

http://www.opticraft.net/index.php/topic,9455.0.html

http://www.opticraft.net/index.php/topic,9377.0.html

Before we start: Read through this with an open mind. Don't think about how this has been suggested before, or things like that. Open mind

This idea really excites me. On the outside, it may seem unnecessary and a bad idea, but if you really think about it, I believe that it could be truly successful.

One thing a lot of people have been asking about is PvP. While Optical already has been thinking about it, I'd like to share my thoughts.

Another thing that I suggested was a rank between Trusted and Mod. After further speculation I realized it wasn't very necessary, and I don't mind.

But then, my brain made an epic connection that I think is truly magnificent.

PvP could be brought to a very high level by THIS server. I noticed this server lacks in events, there are only four threads in the category. But what if we make PvP an "event". It would add a very fun aspect, make the server original, but it would maintain the server's professional profile.

These events could be run by a group of people called Game Keepers. This rank I believe wouldn't fall between other ranks, because it is very unique. These people run server wide PvP events. The times for these events can be determined, or just "whenever gamekeepers are on and want to host it". Or even both.

Here's how it works:

Gamekeepers design stadiums only accesible when they open them to the public. A server message is sent out by the Gamekeepers to say that a certain stadium is open and teleportation into is open. We could open teleportation for a window frame, and anyone who wanted to join could. After, lets say ten minutes, teleportation is closed and the games begin. We can incorporate different game modes, such as teams (Don't know how, but that would be AWESOME), free for all, or anything we can code really. Before each match, each member is required to enter a "bet". These bets could be a set amount of 300$ per person. When the match begins, people fight it out. When you kill someone, you acquire their bet. This incorporates a money aspect. TONS of variations could be added to this. You could make it so that what you get, you keep. OR, you can make it so that you get ALL of the persons money they won. The last person standing, then, would get all the money from the rounds. Game keepers could chose which game type.

As for the arenas, the Gamekeepers have full responsibility over them, and can design/modify them however they like whenever they like. You could make so that even mods can't access the arena, only GK, ops and admins. We could have small arenas for quick, fun fights, or build MASSIVE arenas (think hunger games) where it would truly be survival. The possibilities are endless.

And for when Gamekeepers aren't on, they can designate public, anytime access arenas. These arenas would not involve money to eliminate the chance of exploit. They would be solely for fun.

I haven't even said some of the awesome ideas bouncing around in my head. I'm so excited I can't even think about everything.

Guys, give this a thought. I think it is truly a revolutionary idea, and I put a TON of thought into this. I know Opticraft is a "near-vanilla" server, but it would truly give it it's own unique flavor without being unprofessional.

Warning! The following paragraphs are a partial rant and argument on why I think Gamekeepers are a good idea. While none of it is meant offensively, I put my truthful thoughts and they can sting a little. But trust me, I only say these things because I truly think it will better the server. Continue at own risk.

Another thought is "why can't we incorporate this into an already existent rank?" Here's my reasoning. This job, first of all, is more exclusive than mod. So, mods can't do it. Operators could do it, but I rarely see operators on. Also, operators are busy doing operator things. And then admins, no offense, they're not on enough. But I respect that, because they should be focused on administration, which doesn't always involve in-game things.

The number one, and only, complaint about adding a new rank is "it's unnecessary". Actually, this is the reason we don't do most things. It's a little annoying, I have full respect for a legitimate and thought out reason. "It's unnecessary" just annoys me a little. We fail to realize that moderators are "unnecessary". But what do they do? Make the server more efficient. Why do we have ops? To maintain the server. Is that unnecessary? Yes. But, they are all awesome ideas. Why? Because they provide for a better experience. We could have no ranks at all. Even the playing field for every player. Then we wouldn't have to worry about staff at all. But this is an awful idea. Why? Ranks are not necessary, but they make the game more fun and enjoyable. And that's what this is. A game. The point of a game is to make things as fun as possible. And while Gamekeeper may not be necessary, it's fun to me. And that's what this is all about. A fun experience. And new ideas and trying things is part of the fun. So is Gamekeeper unnecessary? Of course. Do I believe it will increase the experience for new players in the server however, and give Opticraft a little "pizzazz"? Absolutely. Just because we are a professional server, does not mean we can't try new things. That being said, I think Opticraft is always trying new things, and I like it. But I think the server is a bit overdue for a big new feature. If you think about it, the initial work to incorporate it would pay off in increased efficiency. And it won't clutter the system. This is hardly even a new rank. The only reason it's a new rank is because technically it would have to go somewhere on the list. This would be Opticraft's "fun" team. They brainstorm new PvP play modes, code them, run them, take care of everything regarding PvP.

And while some will say "it's a bad idea",
 I'll say, "Why?"
 And when you say "Because a new rank is unnecessary",
 I will say "You are absolutely correct. But does that make it a bad idea?'
And you will say "Yes",
And I will say, "Why?"
And when you say "Because Optical doesn't have time to add it"
I will say "Well then all the more reason. If he doesn't have time to add a new rank, then surely he must need more help"
And you will say "Stop being smart and get some common sense"
And I will say, nothing. Because you probably hurt my feelings.

I don't see how you wouldn't be able to love this idea. Thanks for your consideration,

Nate

An ending note: I know the two things that will be most said is: Been suggested tons before.
Two: The new rank idea is awful and evil and you deserve to die (over exaggerated). Just think about it for a minute with an open mind from the view point of a lower player.

P.S.: Any negative criticism would break my heart.  :'( I worked really hard on planning this out  :P

©NateN

New Ideas:

1. Use the /cmd system for Gamekeepers. An example could be /beginpvp teambattle keep, where the forumla is /<begin/start> <game mode> <pay out mode>. Simple to start games.
2. Make it so team games require the /hat command. Make it so you can only get /hat by donating, so people would donate to play this game mode (even I think this is a bad idea, just throwing it out there).
3. Naval wars (people get in boats, shoot each other down. Free for all or teams
4. Weekly/biweekly "Hunger Games" (not the name I like, just for relation purposes). Have it so those that register have to put high stakes money in. During this time, the only way to get out is to get killed or kill yourself. No inventory when you go in, must fend for yourself. This is pretty much based off the book. All money is put into the "pot" and the winner gets all the money (Think like 5k+ per entry). During the game mode players cannot warp out of the arena, but may speak with chat still. I don't know how you would make it so that players can be killed while not logged on, maybe each player must place a sign that has their name on a sign. Upon the destruction of that sign, the player is kicked out of the game. When the player acquires resources, they may build an above ground fort to protect the sign. There will be other rules, but this is the basic layout. It would need a lot of fine tuning and it would be hard to pull off, but I think if we could do  this somehow it would be very fun/creative.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 08:13:19 pm by NateN »

lLLEGAL

• Recruit Operator
  • Champion Member
  • Legacy.
    • View Profile
Re: All my thoughts collected. (AWESOME idea, MUST read)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 01:10:17 am »
I've always wanted a little bit of PvP! :)

Midgetized

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 02:16:00 am »
You can simplify it a little bit more by incorporating a PvP PS stone, where a Moderator can place a stone in someones already built arena that enables PVP abilities. If that arena becomes popular and successful then a warp can be incorporated into it like a town, or maybe official arena's can only be built in registered cities. Then city holders themselves can host these events, much like spleef events are right now. The server can also build their own arena on a bigger scale and create a server wide event on a weekly or bi-weekly basis, with it being all-day so everyone can have a chance at it, or have multiple fights every so many hours.

And PvP isn't unproffesional, think Roman gladiators, those events were some of their best entertainment.
Sometimes a little bit of pessimism goes further than a stream of optimism, it lets you see both sides of the coin and break the illusion of the reality that others built around you.

NateN

• Slap my nip
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 02:22:10 am »
You can simplify it a little bit more by incorporating a PvP PS stone, where a Moderator can place a stone in someones already built arena that enables PVP abilities. If that arena becomes popular and successful then a warp can be incorporated into it like a town, or maybe official arena's can only be built in registered cities. Then city holders themselves can host these events, much like spleef events are right now. The server can also build their own arena on a bigger scale and create a server wide event on a weekly or bi-weekly basis, with it being all-day so everyone can have a chance at it, or have multiple fights every so many hours.

And PvP isn't unprofessional, think Roman gladiators, those events were some of their best entertainment.

An excellent idea. I'm fine with having mods place "PvP stones". That was my idea with Gamekeepers. While with the current system we could have weekly events, I think if we had dedicated staff for PvP we could host one or more events a day.

This is why I love the Gamekeeper idea. They will officially be in charge of PvP in server arenas and personal arenas.

I never said PvP was unprofessional. I think however it can be if not executed correctly.

Midgetized

• View Profile
Re: All my thoughts collected on PvP (Great idea)
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 02:22:52 pm »
"Guys, give this a thought. I think it is truly a revolutionary idea, and I put a TON of thought into this. I know Opticraft is a "near-vanilla" server, but it would truly give it it's own unique flavor without being unprofessional"

I was supporting this statement
Sometimes a little bit of pessimism goes further than a stream of optimism, it lets you see both sides of the coin and break the illusion of the reality that others built around you.

NateN

• Slap my nip
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 04:28:11 pm »
Oh haha :P

I thought you were s :)aying that I said somewhere it wasnt professional. Haha, sorry

atdfbttl15

• Either on or trying to be on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 05:57:25 pm »
wow nice writing.

I totally support the PvP idea which you said and for me too there isn't enough events going on this server. It would be fun.

Check it out! ;)

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 02:27:54 am »
You do see we advertise the hunger games right? Logan and some other mods invite people lol it's crazy and fun

SalasCraft

• a.k.a. SaladCraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 02:55:25 am »

This is good, and I completely agree with you. The idea you have is nice, though it could be modified a bit.
Now, the part about optical not having time. The thing is, first of all he wants to code the PVP thing himself. This, would take a lot of time, now his mind is set on other server-wise stuff, like performance. What use would a PVP be if the lag keeps up? We'll have a bunch of ranting I'm sure!

Now this has been in the talks, as I said before. And it is a possibility, but it might not be around for months.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 03:12:39 am by SalasCraft »

wildone234

• Wow, what a nice house i've made! ssssssss BOOM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 03:17:21 am »
I agree with the pvp stones, but one problem is that many people already complain about griefing. Now add people dying every 2 seconds. Spamity Spam. If there was a seperate PvP server, than i would play.

atdfbttl15

• Either on or trying to be on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 04:06:46 pm »
I agree with the pvp stones, but one problem is that many people already complain about griefing. Now add people dying every 2 seconds. Spamity Spam. If there was a seperate PvP server, than i would play.

That is a nice idea but not practical. A new server means lots of new equipment and lots of staff.

Check it out! ;)