May 15, 2024, 05:00:44 am

Author Topic: Possible PvP  (Read 4477 times)

Retrogordon43

• View Profile
Possible PvP
« on: May 02, 2012, 07:40:07 pm »
I have now been on the server for about a month now and am really enjoying my stay.  The only thing I do miss is PvP.  Now I understand and also don't want people just wandering around and jumping every traveler BUT... I do think designated areas for PvP would be nice. (You know arenas and such.) So I just wanted to put this out there and get a good discussion going about it. (Forgive me if this topic has been expounded upon before)

Kian

• PSN: X_Kian57_X
    • View Profile
Re: Possible PvP
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 07:54:29 pm »
Yes ther shave been multiple topics about this before and I think they said a maybe on the arena (Correct me if I'm wrong I'm not entirely sure)

Midgetized

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 10:24:26 pm »
A special ore should be used by moderators+ that enables pvp in a 21x21 area using redstone ore. Mod places it in an arean building that has been evaluated by mods+ following these guide lines:
-The arena must be accessible through physical means: i.e. non-teleportation
-The arena can not be entered without permission by wandering newcomers: i.e. a low wall
          = this will prevent trolls for placing arenas near active foot traffic locations that newcomers will wander into and be killed by surprise
-The arena must be approved by two moderators via forums
-Arena must be properly lit to prevent hostile mobs from interfering in public fights.
-Arena can not kill the spectators by fighting players or mechanisms such as dispensers or pistons so a wall of atleast 3 blocks high needs to separate the two parties.
-The floor or walls can not be made to give an advantage to any player, such as water or pistons placed asymmetrically along the floor that can slow down one player.
-Arenas can feature special traps that can harm or impede a player as long as it follows the above rule. i.e a button on the wall that fires arrow dispensers  at the players, or pistons that creates hurdles.
-Arenas, if bows are allowed, can not give the bower the ability to safely fire shots on others, such as hills since arrows push players back down the hill.

It seems like a long list but follows common-sense rules for fair play.
Sometimes a little bit of pessimism goes further than a stream of optimism, it lets you see both sides of the coin and break the illusion of the reality that others built around you.

Midgetized

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 10:29:12 pm »
Also the arena size can be of any size, so larger arenas can be made to hold server wide fights. A nice example can be the Hunger Games inspired arena that can be found via google (I can't provide a link since it's a different server)
Sometimes a little bit of pessimism goes further than a stream of optimism, it lets you see both sides of the coin and break the illusion of the reality that others built around you.

NateN

• Slap my nip
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 10:50:17 pm »
I like the idea.

However I think the builder has the right to build an arena however it is seen suited. Also, I think some sort of money should be incorporated. Like, you have to put a wager in before you play like gambling. You get a percent of your wager for every kill. However, if you die in the arena, you lose all winning and your wager. This could have some potential
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:55:07 pm by NateN »

hutchinske

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 11:31:36 pm »
I personally think this should be implemented. But the players must give consent when they would enter to not complain if fight is lost and stuff is stolen.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 11:39:08 pm by hutchinske »

bantam2

• Oᴘᴇʀᴀᴛᴏʀ
  • Straight Outta Compton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 11:46:25 pm »
Moved To Suggestions.

NateN

• Slap my nip
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 12:25:35 am »
And, there could be a money pot. In order to play there could be a minimum wager of 300$. You could even rig it to stabilize the economy. This NEEDS to be thought of a great deal

Midgetized

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 12:39:18 am »
I was always thinking of a naval arena.
You build a normal arena and flood it 2 -3 blocks deep, then build 2 or more bases (maybe mock ships or docks), player get in a ship of their own and using bows fire upon each other or for close combat use swords.

If anyone knows, will ships break when fired with arrows?

NateN

• Slap my nip
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 12:52:10 am »
You NEED to read this

http://www.opticraft.net/index.php/topic,9469.0.html

I just came up with this idea, and it is an AWESOME idea. We could even incorporate the naval wars. Oh my god I'm really excited about this idea.

Chipaton

• Young One
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 01:15:41 am »
This would probably double the traffic on the server, so it could be good or bad depending on if Optic could upgrade the RAM for the server. This would take a lot more than simply adding an arena or something considering what would result of this.

Retrogordon43

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 01:20:45 am »
Well I'm glad this stimulated some conversation.  If you are for this PvP idea than please spread the word on the server. The more people to join the conv., the more likely it is to be seen by whoever runs the server.

ragequiter13

• thatsssssss a nice everything you've got there
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 01:40:04 am »

If anyone knows, will ships break when fired with arrows?
yes, yes they will

NateN

• Slap my nip
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 01:51:00 am »
And support my thread. It seems like all staff is against it, but all non-staff like it. Maybe it's time to convince them we're the ones that actually run this server  ;)

Note: I'm not bashing the staff in any way. I'm just saying sometimes good ideas are shot down due to fear of change. It's a video game. If a an idea goes the wrong way, it can be removed in an instant. We need to give some stuff a try!

Midgetized

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 02:19:34 am »
Chip thanks, since a watered down naval fight can be made already then. People set sail with bows and try to sink each other. You fall in water you're done.