June 16, 2024, 03:07:09 pm

Author Topic: Solution To Economic Crisis  (Read 5121 times)

Kian1354

• Trusted Opticraft Member
    • View Profile
Solution To Economic Crisis
« on: April 26, 2012, 11:04:56 pm »
Before I start I will say that many people will not like this idea because it means less money. On the other hand, it hopefully will eliminate players from receiving too much money and essentially being in creative mode.

The Problems We're Facing:

1)People are getting too much money so now they can play as if it were creative mode

2)There is an unlimited supply of money to be passed around

3)Other issues like the value of money is going down...etc.

The Problems With Our Current Solution:
Melons were changed from $960 Dollars per stack to $480 dollars per stack in the market. This is not a very good solution because I know people that before this change had made over 1,000,000 dollars just from melons. Now they will just make 500,000 which is still a lot of money.

My Suggestions:

1)Have a limited amount of money to be passed around. This will fix the issue of everybody getting tons and tons of money. I suggest maybe 30 million dollars (You guys decide the amount). I know there is already $70 million out there, but my next suggestion will solve that. (Sorry Wratkie...You won't like it  ;))

2)Create a 10% tax on all transactions that will go to the "Market's Money" (All the money that the market has from transactions). This money will be used to sell stuff in the market. Here is an example of what I am talking about:

I want to buy 1 iron from Trodden for 100 dollars. I pay Trodden 100 dollars, and then 10 dollars is sent to the "Market Money" to be used in Market Transactions. So in the end, I payed Trodden 100 and the market 10.

To fix the issue of 70 million dollars out there we can do a few different things:

1)Have a straight out tax of 50% of everybody's money and make sure no more money is put into circulation

2)Put 7% of the tax into the "Market Money" and 3% is taken out of circulation (This will be longer and less efficient)

The current system is not a good permanent one (No offense Nick and Relkeb  :)). Take into consideration I'm just 13 years old so these ideas may seem a bit crude, but be my guest to change it in any way you like. I am going to lock this topic to prevent miscellaneous people from commenting on it as I only want Staff to post their ideas (No offense miscellaneous people, I'm one of you guys  :D). I hope you take this idea into consideration.

Thanks for your time,
Kian
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:12:18 pm by Kian1354 »

Kian1354

• View Profile
Re: Solution To Economic Crisis
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 11:07:44 pm »
Crap...How do I lock it lol  :)

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 11:15:00 pm »
While this seems to me to be a pretty logical solution to the money problem, it's not perfect because you still have a place where people can get an unlimited supply of money.  Even if you drop EVERYTHING in the market to only sell for $1, the money is still unlimited.  You can mine out chunks and chunks of minerals, or grow thousands and thousands of melons, and you'll still make money on an unlimited basis.

A true solution would be a true player-driven economy.  Each player starts the server with a limited amount of money, say $500, and that's it.  In order for players to gain money they would have to sell to other players who would loose the money.  It makes the money supply limited.  You can keep the market, with BUY ONLY options, which will slowly reduce the millions of dollars currently floating around the server.  Then, when the economy levels out, bring in selling options on limited-supply items.  Things that are available on a limited basis, like iron and gold.  Melons are an unlimited basis, bringing unlimited money, even if you can only sell them for $1 each and that's where the money problem is coming from.  The same can be said for standard blocks (Stone, Wood, Nether, etc.) which have a virtually unlimited supply and shouldn't be bought by the market.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:18:30 pm by ViperZeroOne »
"I griefed because my dog sat on my mouse and farted!"
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

Dark Knight eh?.... I'M BATMAN!!!  ;)

Kian1354

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 11:20:12 pm »
I agree with you Viper. I think you misunderstood what I meant. The market will have a limited amount of money that it receives from player transactions in the form of a tax. When it runs out, people will not be able to sell things at the market till somebody else pays a tax to the market.

Varrager

• "Now I am become death, destroyer of worlds."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 11:22:34 pm »
While this seems to me to be a pretty logical solution to the money problem, it's not perfect because you still have a place where people can get an unlimited supply of money.  Even if you drop EVERYTHING in the market to only sell for $1, the money is still unlimited.  You can mine out chunks and chunks of minerals, or grow thousands and thousands of melons, and you'll still make money on an unlimited basis.

A true solution would be a true player-driven economy.  Each player starts the server with a limited amount of money, say $500, and that's it.  In order for players to gain money they would have to sell to other players who would loose the money.  It makes the money supply limited.  You can keep the market, with BUY ONLY options, which will slowly reduce the millions of dollars currently floating around the server.  Then, when the economy levels out, bring in selling options on limited-supply items.  Things that are available on a limited basis, like iron and gold.  Melons are an unlimited basis, bringing unlimited money, even if you can only sell them for $1 each and that's where the money problem is coming from.  The same can be said for standard blocks (Stone, Wood, Nether, etc.) which have a virtually unlimited supply and shouldn't be bought by the market.
I have seen a system like this on other servers where you can only sell ores. it is pretty good and it keeps the economy level, however it can be a bit hard for new players to get money.
(click to show/hide)

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 11:27:24 pm »
I agree with you Viper. I think you misunderstood what I meant. The market will have a limited amount of money that it receives from player transactions in the form of a tax. When it runs out, people will not be able to sell things at the market till somebody else pays a tax to the market.

I understood what you were saying Kian.  The only problem I see with that would be the high number of players going to the market to sell items, and the market says "Sorry I'm broke"...  Players with major farms would literally own the marketplace and the new players wouldn't have a chance.

I have seen a system like this on other servers where you can only sell ores. it is pretty good and it keeps the economy level, however it can be a bit hard for new players to get money.

I agree with you to a point Varrager.  The whole reason to give the player the initial $500 is to kick-start their "career" in mining.  They could go to the market and buy a few starting items, since prices would probably be revamped for limited money, to get themselves up and running.  Honestly though, the GOOD players will just go punch a tree and start with their wooden pick, upgrade that quick to a stone pick, then continue with stone picks until they can move to iron, etc...  I didn't visit the market when I first started the server.  I just played and built with what I collected on my own.  An economy technically isn't even required to play the game, it's just an added convenience to make acquiring things easier.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:31:02 pm by ViperZeroOne »
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

Kian1354

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 11:29:58 pm »

I understood what you were saying Kian.  The only problem I see with that would be the high number of players going to the market to sell items, and the market says "Sorry I'm broke"...  Players with major farms would literally own the marketplace and the new players wouldn't have a chance.
Maybe you're right Viper lol  :P. I'm sure Nick and Relkeb can definitely come up with a solution for that though  :)

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 11:36:55 pm »

I understood what you were saying Kian.  The only problem I see with that would be the high number of players going to the market to sell items, and the market says "Sorry I'm broke"...  Players with major farms would literally own the marketplace and the new players wouldn't have a chance.
Maybe you're right Viper lol  :P. I'm sure Nick and Relkeb can definitely come up with a solution for that though  :)

Agreed.   ;D  My solution would be to wipe out $$ all together so players have to deal with their own "barter system" for buying and selling things.  We have a "trade" chat channel now, let's use it!

Example:  Selling 5 regular pistons to someone for 3 sticky ones, iron to a player in exchange for redstone, etc.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:39:03 pm by ViperZeroOne »
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

Interbane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 11:42:22 pm »
There needs to be a residual money sink that balances money produced, and scales with net worth.  For example, an automatic weekly "tax" is taken from your balance based on how many protection stones you have placed in the world.  Eliminating the ability to sell back protection stones helps as a sink, but since the purchase of them is voluntary, there is room for imbalance.  The sink must be compulsory, unavoidable, but integrated into gameplay in a way that doesn't drastically impact having fun.

A change that may help lag is to reduce how many melons/pumpkins can be sold in a 24 hour period.  Perhaps that would eliminate some of the motive to build an army of coliseum sized melon farms.

Each /warp could cost $5, unless it's to your own home. 

bantam2

• Oᴘᴇʀᴀᴛᴏʀ
  • Straight Outta Compton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 11:44:52 pm »
I mean this is a nice page you conposed but again as mamy have said before, there is no economy to ruin. Obviously there will be lots of money due to our population.

Kian1354

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 11:47:01 pm »
Yes, but with more money for everybody the value of money decreases creating inflation. What do you mean by there is no economy to ruing bantam?

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 12:03:04 am »
Yes, but with more money for everybody the value of money decreases creating inflation. What do you mean by there is no economy to ruing bantam?
Why do people keep using the word inflation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is angering me. There cant be inflation because the value of money cannot go down, the prices in the market stay the same. If there is more money, there is just more money. No inflation occurs.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

thedude114

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 12:04:48 am »
Why do people keep using the word inflation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is angering me. There cant be inflation because the value of money cannot go down, the prices in the market stay the same. If there is more money, there is just more money. No inflation occurs.
Yep. No inflation. The value will stay the same, always.

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 12:22:36 am »

Agreed 100% Nick
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

bantam2

• Oᴘᴇʀᴀᴛᴏʀ
  • Straight Outta Compton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 12:26:08 am »

Exactly.