June 15, 2024, 11:09:59 pm

Author Topic: Farming radius  (Read 2452 times)

atdfbttl15

• Either on or trying to be on
    • View Profile
Farming radius
« on: April 25, 2012, 06:55:39 pm »
I don't know if you realized or not, but trees/wheat/melon etc. wont grow when you are too far from them. Is there a way to change the distance? Or completely deleting it? Because, when you are even something like 64 blocks away they will stop to grow and this is really close, I think.

Thanks for reading

Check it out! ;)

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Farming radius
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 07:28:37 pm »
They will only grow if someone is standing in the chunk.  Doesn't have to be you, so building your farm in a populated area is a bonus.  As far as I know, there isn't any way to change this.  It's part of Minecraft's core coding.
"I griefed because my dog sat on my mouse and farted!"
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

Dark Knight eh?.... I'M BATMAN!!!  ;)

atdfbttl15

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 07:34:33 pm »
So the most efficient farms are 16x16 farms? Btw is there a number or something that shows the borders of the current chunk in F3?

Check it out! ;)

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 07:38:11 pm »
I haven't had any problems with 24x24 and 32x32, but I know that people who have had larger farms than that have had growing problems.  My suggestion, keep it as tight as you can and go tall/deep with it.  I actually hid a fairly small auto-farm inside of a tower that's only the dimensions of a Lapis protection stone.
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

Xeadin

• Board Gamer
  • Champion Member
  • dip dip dip dip dip
    • View Profile
    • @Xeadin
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 10:29:12 pm »
The chunks (which are 16x16 spaces from bedrock to sky limit) that you can see normally are the "occupied" chunks, because those are the spaces that you can see. Anything beyond that are considered "unoccupied" until you move toward those spaces. I'm not completely certain on how far you can see, but simply put: whatever you can see are the visible chunk spaces.

atdfbttl15

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 07:25:11 am »
So, correct me if I understood wrong, you can make a long farm but you have to see it in the screen so that plants will grow, right?

Check it out! ;)

Spamarian

• Top Voter
  • Champion Member
  • YoO0Oo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 07:29:56 am »
I didnt know that the visibility level plays role.
My farms so far, grow completely and very fast even if I am not close to them.

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 08:19:30 am »
Moved to SMP Support.

Smiteme69

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 08:23:48 am »
Press f3, a chunk is defined in multiples of 16 so if x=1120 (16 * 70) and z=1552 (16 * 97) then you would be in a corner of a chunk, you would then need to find the other 3 corners by branching out 16 (well 15 tchnically as you are on the 1st square on the 16 chunk)in each direction.

To find where in a chunk you are in the world press f3 and divide your x and z position by 16.

Happy to confuse. :)

ps. My pumpkin farm is alot bigger than 16 x 16 and they all grow, so it can't be a only grow when stood in a chunk, at least not for me :)

« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:26:02 am by Smiteme69 »

Tobs

• Senior Staff
  • Administrator
  • Champion Member
  • Banhammers must be worn at all times!
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 03:05:34 pm »
Crops grow on loaded chunks (not just the chunks you stand on), any unloaded chunk crops will not grow. You can probably find how far chunks are loaded to on the minecraft wiki.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Chunks
In multiplayer mode, a grid with a default radius of 10 (for a total of 21x21 or 441 chunks) is loaded around each player and sent to the player by default, although this radius can be configured to be between 3 and 15, usually only lowered with a poor connection home server. These chunks may have activity (mobs spawning, trees growing, water flowing, dropped items disappearing etc.), while the other world chunks are inactive, stored on your hard drive.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 03:30:19 pm by Tobs »

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 05:16:48 pm »
Press f3, a chunk is defined in multiples of 16 so if x=1120 (16 * 70) and z=1552 (16 * 97) then you would be in a corner of a chunk, you would then need to find the other 3 corners by branching out 16 (well 15 tchnically as you are on the 1st square on the 16 chunk)in each direction.

To find where in a chunk you are in the world press f3 and divide your x and z position by 16.

Happy to confuse. :)

ps. My pumpkin farm is alot bigger than 16 x 16 and they all grow, so it can't be a only grow when stood in a chunk, at least not for me :)

Actually this is how I plan out slime farms.  It's actually not that hard to figure out.
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!