June 09, 2024, 02:32:30 pm

Author Topic: Capthcas on voting page  (Read 4173 times)

Tree Frog

• View Profile
Capthcas on voting page
« on: April 21, 2012, 05:11:49 pm »
I read several threads about the voting page but didn't see this topic.

On the Opticraft voting page, I enter my name and for two of the sites I enter a Capthca.   However, everytime I am transferred to the voting site and I have to enter a Captcha again.   I assume it was supposed to be sent over automatically (otherwise what's the point of entering it on Opticraft).  

I'm using IE 8.   Is there a way to avoid this?   (I'll try it on Firefox as soon as I can vote again but wanted to see if this is a known issue).

(Argh - I thought I was on the Support thread when I posted - sorry)

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Capthcas on voting page
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 05:19:16 pm »
Same here, i think its just both sites......and EEEEWWW IE8 lol I'm on chrome, but yeah it bugs me so bad lol

thedude114

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 06:53:53 pm »
Okay, here is how the voting works for me (on Firefox):

I enter the Capthca
Another widow opens up
I close it
I voted!

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 07:02:20 pm »

I enter the Capthca
Another widow opens up
I close it
I voted!
youre not really voting then, youre just going to the voting page, IE youre cheating the system lol, you have to actually click vote on the new page

Xeadin

• Board Gamer
  • Champion Member
  • dip dip dip dip dip
    • View Profile
    • @Xeadin
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 09:34:40 pm »
The reason why this is happening is because since optical put the captchas onto the voting pages, the voting sites were under the suspicion that we were 'circumventing' and bypassing the captcha (this is what happened with Minecraftservers.net). They were treating our macros as though it was some sort of a bot that entered in the captcha information.

The captcha is a type of process that is primarily meant to keep automated bots away, so that the votes statistics aren't obscenely skewed from the rest of the servers' votes (because some people prefer 'favouritism' towards their own server and like to be kept at the top of the list, which is an unfair advantage and keeps other servers from being noticed more often).

Our primary focus was only to keep the captcha conveniently located on our site, but that did not agree with the rest of the voting sites for some odd reason (still yet to be explained).

XtremeTop100 changed how they do their captchas (which is not exactly Captcha), so that's not really an issue at this point.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 09:36:32 pm by Xeadin »

thedude114

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 11:20:54 pm »

I enter the Capthca
Another widow opens up
I close it
I voted!
youre not really voting then, youre just going to the voting page, IE youre cheating the system lol, you have to actually click vote on the new page
So I am not actually voting?

I enter the Capthca
Another widow opens up
I close it
I voted!

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 11:49:37 pm »
Yeah you need to do BOTH sites' capatchas to actually vote, going to that page doesnt count as a vote, if you notice those pages ask you "are you sure you want to vote?" thats because you havent submitted anything
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:08:29 am by 2crzy4uall »

thedude114

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 12:03:21 am »
Oh.

cschurz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 01:10:20 am »
we're aware of the problems with the voting page, but they seem to be uncorrectable.

it was a good experiment while it lasted.

i personally recommend using the old vote page ( http://www.opticraft.net/index.php/page,Vote.html ) for the time being.

24kGold

• Nibiru Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 12:14:17 pm »
I think it's two of the sites have a second captcha, this is normal. Not a problem for me, I'm on Safari. I've always gotten my diamonds and it seems to count my vote. I have heard of people not getting their diamonds, but I even don't spell my name case sensitive--and haven't had any issues. I wonder if they're skipping the second captcha.
Team Fruitas y Vegetables, Renato Laranja Jiu-Jitsu Brasileņo

FNVcourierjon(SigilStone)

• Champion Member
  • Vault 102 Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 01:58:58 pm »
When you enter the captchas(lol) you only have to do it ONCE, when the second website pops up with aother captcha just ignore it you don't need to do it twice for the same one.

Spamarian

• Top Voter
  • Champion Member
  • YoO0Oo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 02:01:31 pm »
Guys? That's the point.
That you need to type both codes. The first one is for the site, to recognize that you are not a bot, and the second is for the better rank of the server to the catalog.
If you dotn type both, you cheat.

Unholy_Gibbon

• The Nocturnal Op
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 04:24:47 pm »
I recognise the need for captchas to stop bots on the actual voting websites but why is it needed on opticraft.net?

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 04:28:22 pm »
I recognise the need for captchas to stop bots on the actual voting websites but why is it needed on opticraft.net?
Here lol
The reason why this is happening is because since optical put the captchas onto the voting pages, the voting sites were under the suspicion that we were 'circumventing' and bypassing the captcha (this is what happened with Minecraftservers.net). They were treating our macros as though it was some sort of a bot that entered in the captcha information.

The captcha is a type of process that is primarily meant to keep automated bots away, so that the votes statistics aren't obscenely skewed from the rest of the servers' votes (because some people prefer 'favouritism' towards their own server and like to be kept at the top of the list, which is an unfair advantage and keeps other servers from being noticed more often).

Our primary focus was only to keep the captcha conveniently located on our site, but that did not agree with the rest of the voting sites for some odd reason (still yet to be explained).

XtremeTop100 changed how they do their captchas (which is not exactly Captcha), so that's not really an issue at this point.

Unholy_Gibbon

• The Nocturnal Op
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 06:06:58 pm »
Here lol

This doesn't explain it -.-