May 15, 2024, 01:12:59 pm

Author Topic: Auto melon farms are destroying the servers economy  (Read 8336 times)

SpikeyThorn

• “Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.”
  • -Griefer impaler-
    • View Profile
Re: Auto melon farms are destroying the servers economy
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 03:03:46 pm »
Bill gates is a billionaire, does he ruin the economy. No.

People are millionaires on opticraft, Economy? what economy? this is a game?

ryans1230

• Need Help in SMP? Do "/mail send ryans1230 <msg>"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 03:10:45 pm »
There is no inflation on in-game money. And if anything, all the money they have will go back to the market when they buy things (like protection stones).

I find it funny how people say things like this about the economy. It's just people earning money.
There is infinite money on the server, as in when you buy something from the market, the server creates that money. There's going to be no 'economy crisis' because, it just isn't going to happen.

besides, people put money into making the melon farms, it's only fair that they get to keep what they've earned.
The Opticraft economy is not going to fail like the US economy has.

tbpb2010

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 04:27:05 pm »
@TheFulcan
Didn't you already make a topic somewhat addressing this in Suggestions?

But what many people have said are true, because the economy of this server is based on items which can be infinitely created there is no way for preventing the amount of money from increasing on this server (money is infinite). 

Auto-farms are a great way of becoming self-sufficient and allow people to make money to buy more things.  The only negative aspect of this is that it may destroy the idea of survival in minecraft (but you could live in a dirt house, plant a few wheat seeds and survive off of that too) And I've noticed this server is becoming more of a "maintaining a city server" rather than the typical "survive to get to the end", which actually is survival but on a massive scale.  Funds are necessary for protection, building, food supply and things like that so more money is good in that respect.

Honestly I wonder, can you even call what our server has, a true economy?  There is no such thing as scarcity here (in the extreme long run because all minecraft objects can be infintely spawned)

Edit: Oh also arguing that new players will "struggle" because of rising prices won't happen.  The prices for the market will stay the same because of the fact that it's an infinite supply.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 04:38:32 pm by tbpb2010 »

bantam2

• Oᴘᴇʀᴀᴛᴏʀ
  • Straight Outta Compton
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 08:38:33 pm »
Everything that DeeKay said is right. There is no real economy to ruin. The only reason that people need money on this server is to quickly buy bulk items or protection. Anybody making a melon farm should be doing it just for the fun of it or to better the quality of their creations. Being the Bill Gates of opticraft gets you absolutely nothing.

Redchecks

• The Creepy Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 09:08:33 pm »
Fulcan, think of it as this.
These melon farms aren't easy to make with little money. People earn the money to make them using melons. then gradually there profit kicks in. They make money back and can build better farms - making more money.

Then take that in to the real world. you own a business(a minecraft melon farm); it starts off local, and gradually that gets national, then eventually international and the money is rolling in. Day-by-day.

But wait... you have poor man Jenkins who just moved in(guests who first join the server). Sure he has not nearly as much money but he knows how to start and develop a business and what he does not know he asks people around to help because they are friendly and know what to do. His business grows and he turns in to a millionaire. 

And that was my ramble of the day. Hope you enjoyed it :) Also, i'm sure someone can find a point in this story....

Mr_Mr_Mr

• Veteran
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 09:11:28 pm »
There has to be rich people in an economy - There has to be poor people in an economy.
Bill gates - Homeless people.

---><--- Click the monkey

NateN

• Slap my nip
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 09:35:02 pm »
Ruining the economy? No.

Ruining server stability? Yes.

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 09:41:19 pm »
Ruining the economy? No.

Why because people have money? You cant avoid the gap between new and old players, it doesnt matter how much you make, if melons sold for $1 a stack you would still have millionaires! its infinite.... itd just take longer to get there. How is it unstable?

SpikeyThorn

• “Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.”
  • -Griefer impaler-
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 09:55:24 pm »
Ruining the economy? No.

Why because people have money? You cant avoid the gap between new and old players, it doesnt matter how much you make, if melons sold for $1 a stack you would still have millionaires! its infinite.... itd just take longer to get there. How is it unstable?

He was talking about the extreme lag auto melon farms cause, which just so happens to be combated by the plugin which groups items, however, the pistons still create lot's of lag when triggered.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 10:00:27 pm »
Ruining the economy? No.

He was talking about the extreme lag auto melon farms cause, which just so happens to be combated by the plugin which groups items, however, the pistons still create lot's of lag when triggered.
The lag only exists inside of the chunk which the pistons are in.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 10:02:32 pm »
Ah yes they suck lol, also i dont use them in series, each ones on its own circuit, I figure that cuts down on lag instead of having them on a clock

tbpb2010

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 11:27:39 pm »
Ruining the economy? No.

Which is why I built my farm within 1 chunk :)  TAKE THAT SERVER LAG! Ruining other's day? Not from my pistons and redstone!

NateN

• Slap my nip
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 01:37:01 am »
Ruining the economy? No.

Which is why I built my farm within 1 chunk :)  TAKE THAT SERVER LAG! Ruining other's day? Not from my pistons and redstone!

Still confused about chunks...oh well.

Newbrict

• one hundred thirty-seven
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 01:43:01 am »
My only concern is an economic gap, which really turns new players away. Even though the actual economy isn't damaged, player satisfaction is.

Actually, the economy is hurt. The player economy will take major blows
I joined the server without knowing how to make any money
within my first week i made 20k, my second week I make ~50k/day
only those who don't know how to make money will be turned away
it's easy to learn....

(QUAKE 3 ARENA IS BEST)

Kian

• PSN: X_Kian57_X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 05:20:15 pm »
I think people will agree with what I'm about to say: IT'S A GAME!