May 28, 2024, 06:59:56 pm

Author Topic: Plugin Suggestion  (Read 1828 times)

XtremeHairball

• View Profile
Plugin Suggestion
« on: March 12, 2012, 05:09:31 am »
I'm fairly new to the server (been playing for just a couple weeks), but my understanding is that chat spamming and auto-login spam has been at a high lately.

Now, I'm not terribly familiar with minecraft server plugins, but after the server crashin several times (or being manually shut down?) due to excessive login/logout and chat spam by some depraved individual(s), I thought it would be a good idea to at least offer a suggestion. The administration may have already examined this plugin (I can't find any mention of it on the forums or the thread search engine), but It may be worth presenting the idea anyway.

The plugin is designed specifically for spambot management. If a player enters a set number of messages in a set amount of time (e.g., 5 messages within 5 seconds, or 2 messages every second), the plugin takes care of the abusing player before it becomes a real problem for the mods and everyone else in the server. More interestingly, in my opinion, is that it seems to be able to ban players that join simultaneously en masse. (this part could have some drawbacks, due to possible innocent players joining during the spam, but i think it may be easier to manage that problem than it would be to manage 20+ players auto-logging every 4 seconds)

http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/antibot/

It is a brand new plugin (March 4, 2012), but if the plugin is somehow old news to you, then I apologize. But i feel it is definitely worth suggesting, on the chance that it could be of some value. Also, I thought this might be a good way to kick start my activity on the forums :>

Anyway, I hope it at least peaks some interest. See you guys on the server~

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Plugin Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 05:13:41 am »
The server was restarted twice, it was not taken down due to the spammers.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

XtremeHairball

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 06:02:06 am »
Ah, my mistake, then. But that was more of a tangent off of my concern; there still seems to be some sort of spam outbreak every few days in the server, and I think that the bulk of it could be resolved with something like this. There were at least 3 moderators on the server when it happened last, and it went on for a pretty long time while the mods were having a hard time trying to keep up. Needless to say everyone was pretty unhappy with it. That's my real reason for posting.

cschurz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 06:06:52 am »
Anyway, I hope it at least peaks some interest.

Pique.

--

anyway, when you described that plugin in the in-game chat, i quickly googled it and sent it off to optical; i wasn't lying when i said i'd get it looked into :p. we have been planning on writing a plugin designed to accomplish the same goal, whether or not it's a better idea to just use Antibot is up to opti.

thanks for the suggestion.