May 18, 2024, 02:53:08 am

Author Topic: RE: Ban Guide  (Read 5096 times)

Hasan (Tabooti)

• أحسن رجل لبناني
  • Champion Member
  • Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae
    • View Profile
RE: Ban Guide
« on: February 10, 2012, 12:54:13 am »
Quote from: Relkeb on July 23, 2011, 06:14:04 pm
Post ban appeals by creating a "new topic" in the ban appeals board.
Please note that simply stating you were banned will not get you unbanned. You must include information as to what you did that might have gotten you banned.

Ask yourself these questions:
- Did you break any of the rules?
- Did you grief another players work?
- Did you swear excessively?
- Did you piss off an operator?
- Did you draw hateful symbols or say hateful remarks?

Any of the above things mentioned are valid reasons for you to be banned.

If you were banned, do NOT evade the ban by making another account!

- Did you piss off an operator?

Pissing off an operator should not be a reason why someone may be banned, That makes bans become a personal thing, as opposed to a tool used to protect honest, and rule-abiding members...

I plead for a removal of that "Reason" to ban someone immediately.
Honneur. Sacrifice. Fidélité
.شرف. تضحية. وفاء

Your_Mine

• Death Knight Operator
  • Guardian of an Abandoned Empire
    • View Profile
Re: RE: Ban Guide
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 01:01:27 am »
I understand your concern, but this has not been a problem for the whole time we've had the rule. It was put there I believe as a catch-all to allow operators to take action against clearly undesirable behavior that isn't specifically against any of the other rules.
All your mine are belong to me.

SoulKnightGT

• The Griefer Reaper
  • Champion Member
  • Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 01:07:52 am »
You ever saw a clip from Family Guy? Well Stewie bugs his mother by saying, "mom, mom, mom, mommy, mommy, mommy, ect" She can't take it anymore and shouts, "what?!" He then says "hi"
It's like that. you bug us just to annoy us, no grief, no trolling, nothing.
Holy balls.
Do not be afraid of your mistakes in the past Embrace them, Cherish them, and Reflect on them.

Hasan (Tabooti)

• أحسن رجل لبناني
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 01:10:51 am »
It's still unreasonable, an operator may have had a bad day, or someone may ask too much of an operator, It shouldn't be under "Ban guide" as it does give them full privilege to ban anyone they like for "Pissing them off"

At least the rule should be modified, to include such actions that may harm the community as opposed to one person.
You can at least put "Don't disobey orders or, warnings by the operators as it may result in a ban"

I just found "- Did you piss off an operator?" To be a lot like a server with moderators & operators banning people because people pissed them off, It just sounds like a very totalitarian server, and I don't think that anyone may want that.

The reason I put this up is to prevent any problems in the future, as opposed to saying "Well we're going to put this rule up, till an issue comes up"
.شرف. تضحية. وفاء

Hasan (Tabooti)

• أحسن رجل لبناني
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 01:14:44 am »
You ever saw a clip from Family Guy? Well Stewie bugs his mother by saying, "mom, mom, mom, mommy, mommy, mommy, ect" She can't take it anymore and shouts, "what?!" He then says "hi"
It's like that. you bug us just to annoy us, no grief, no trolling, nothing.

Right, so you specify that, You don't say "Don't piss me off"

because that's not a dentition of what someone has to avoid, Different people may be ticked off by certain things.

Just switch it to "Obey all instructions by admins, moderators & Operators"

I've been in situation where looking at someone pissed him off, and he threatened to shoot me. and just looking at him.

Just specify what these things may be. and this isn't under "Rules"  This was under "Ban guide" So a guide to moderators, admins & operators.
I expect our moderators, admins & operators to be mature, They shouldn't be given the privilege to ban someone if they got mad at them.
.شرف. تضحية. وفاء

Xeadin

• Board Gamer
  • Champion Member
  • dip dip dip dip dip
    • View Profile
    • @Xeadin
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 01:20:30 am »
Pissing off an operator includes but is not limited to trolling and being a burden to the server.

We do appreciate your concerns and we may be considering a revision to the rule, but as of right now the rule of pissing off an operator applies to those who intentionally troll other players or staff members or just become a burden to the server in general (which can make the staff particularly unhappy)

Hasan (Tabooti)

• أحسن رجل لبناني
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 01:26:06 am »
Right, Rename that rule then, and make it "Do not troll, and follow all instructions by the moderators, operators & Admins to the exact letter"

"Pissing off an operator" Shouldn't be under "Ban guide"
Because admins, mods or operators shouldn't be allowed to ban people because they are mad.

There's nothing really to reconsider, sorry for being so direct, But there should have been more work put to create these "Ban guides"

As you may be able to tell, I piss off a lot of people, and it's not intentional at all, most of the time I don't even notice it...

And i repeat again this is under BAN GUIDE
.شرف. تضحية. وفاء

Your_Mine

• Death Knight Operator
  • Guardian of an Abandoned Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 01:30:15 am »
Ticking off an operator doesn't mean automatic ban, like breaking a rule would.  It does give justification however, according to the ban guide, as you have stated.
Your concern about this being a totalitarian server is a valid one, if it was a new ban reason.  It's not, and we've never had a problem with ops abusing this.  Unless it becomes a problem, I see little need for the rules to be changed.
All your mine are belong to me.

Hasan (Tabooti)

• أحسن رجل لبناني
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 01:36:37 am »
That "Justification" To ban anyone, shouldn't be there in the first place, It doesn't have a definition

according to dictionary.com

"pissed off 
noun Slang: Vulgar .
angry or annoyed."

Let's say I'm an operator, and someone's talking a lot, and I'm getting annoyed from it after having a bad day. If I chose to ban that person, I could say "He pissed me off"
And that would be completely fine, because it's in the "ban guide"

The guide should be layed out in better way. It should be a guideline to what the qualifications to ban someone.
"Pissing off" and admin is there.
And I just proved to you that "Angry or annoyed" aren't valid points to ban anyone, or even have it mentioned.
.شرف. تضحية. وفاء

Hasan (Tabooti)

• أحسن رجل لبناني
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 01:38:30 am »
It's not, and we've never had a problem with ops abusing this.  Unless it becomes a problem, I see little need for the rules to be changed.

This is equal to having the american patriot act, where anyone may be arrested & jailed without trail for "Suspicion of terrorism" Even if that act hasn't been abused. It SHOULDN'T BE THERE ANYWAYS.
.شرف. تضحية. وفاء

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 01:48:41 am »
It's not, and we've never had a problem with ops abusing this.  Unless it becomes a problem, I see little need for the rules to be changed.

This is equal to having the american patriot act, where anyone may be arrested & jailed without trail for "Suspicion of terrorism" Even if that act hasn't been abused. It SHOULDN'T BE THERE ANYWAYS.
You just compared minecraft to terrorism, i hope you realize how ridiculous of a comparison that is.

If you pissed off an operator, you were being annoying and harassing them which is against server rules.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

Hasan (Tabooti)

• أحسن رجل لبناني
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 01:50:47 am »
I'm comparing the principle, not the reality of things.

"if you pissed off an operator,you were being annoying and harassing them which is against server rules." #

Why isn't that specified instead of "Don't piss off an operator?"
Or even yet, why is it there in the first place, if the server rule specifies that you're not allowed to annoy or harass them?
.شرف. تضحية. وفاء

PsYk0Wo1F

• The Romantic Op
  • an older player than lLLEGAL :P
    • View Profile
    • Minecraft Link
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 02:01:37 am »
"Dont piss off an operator" is just there to cover the situations that might be missed when these rules are made
for example, if a guest finds a way to do it without trolling or harrassing, but it should be against the rules
then this rule covers it. its just a cover for anything that is missed.
(atleast this is what i see it as, i didnt help make it >.<)

Hasan (Tabooti)

• أحسن رجل لبناني
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 02:15:52 am »
"Dont piss off an operator" is just there to cover the situations that might be missed when these rules are made
for example, if a guest finds a way to do it without trolling or harrassing, but it should be against the rules
then this rule covers it. its just a cover for anything that is missed.
(atleast this is what i see it as, i didnt help make it >.<)

I already offered a solution to this "Follow instructions by all Moderators, Operators, and admins, Disobeying these instructions may result in a ban"
It's really not that hard.

There is no justification for "Don't piss off an operator"
.شرف. تضحية. وفاء

Zezenov

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 02:27:59 am »
If it didn't just apply to operators then yeah I'd say it should be changed.  But being that it only has to do with the OP's, of which there are very, very few, I'd say it's for what someone mentioned above.  That being a catch-all.  Clearly the owner of the server trusts the OP's judgement, so if the OP thinks a person's behavior warrants a ban, so be it, this seems to cover that.