May 05, 2024, 03:11:08 am

Author Topic: Feedback at request.  (Read 30889 times)

DeVil.DeMonde

• View Profile
Feedback at request.
« on: September 25, 2011, 08:30:42 am »
I'm not sure what's desired exactly for the devs/host/ops but I have noticed an outcry among players for protection of their builds, bases, and homes.
On the boards here I saw a request for secure trading.

What I can do is tell you what was running on my test server and what I know works as well as what was running on MCSteamed.
As well as other methods we've used to help make the server successful. (Our downfall was immature staff.)

Of course we ran everything through bukkit. Sometimes this broke more than it fixed, but more often than not that simply wasn't the case.
Some I see you have already (like Bukkit).
BigBrother We used this one for block edit history. Outdated for the time being and i see the author suggest logblock which you use.
BlastControl We used this for greater and easily changeable Creeper and TNT customization.
CreatureBox Everwish your staff could move spawners or create spawners that gave more than pigs? This is the toy.
General We used this for all the God and all the other goodies that were staff perks.
Help yeah that one is pretty much self explanitory.
Permissions we used it because it worked and PermissionsEx wasn't out yet.
HeriocDeath We had it, you have it, I still love it.
iChat we used it for all those lovely titles and text color it worked.
iConomy we used this for our comprehensive in game economy which I'll explain in a bit.
LWC we used it, you use it, it works, enough said.
MyHome had great housing commands.
MyWarp, you have it so you can obviously see some of the great qualities.
Residence when coupled with worldedit, worldguard, iconomy, and permissions, it shines as the best way for players to be able to protect their own land from sky to bedrock, if they have the money.
SignShop and this was the meat and potatoes of the economy, players were able to buy and sell to each other, and for those really rare items pay the server (bank) if they had enough money to get them.
We were still playing with IRC but I'm pretty sure it was heroicchat YLT was implementing.

Yeah that's pretty much the meat and taters of the whole thing.
Ranks were as follows.
Default were those that were logged in either registered or unregistered (though if we could auto rank like you suggest with opticraft I'd have done guests that changed to default on register)
Builders were players that were known, and didn't grief.
Trusted were builders who went above and beyond to help the community as well (with this rank came the ability to place public warp points)
Donors got their own special rank regardless of money donated, as well as other little perks such as the ability to teleport via world edit commands and protect their homes for free.
Mods were helpful players that used to be trusted but were granted staff features to keep an eye on the server and ban players if need be. Bans by a mod always had to be extremely well justified and documented.
Admins were responsible for checking over the previously mentioned bans, and making sure the server was running, they were our ops.
Host were those in charge of the hardware.

Everybody's rank displayed via iChat in game so there was no question about who had what ability.
New players started with $30 and that was it. In order to gain more they had to either sell items, or hold onto their money and earn interest. Interest was earned for every 30 minutes active in the game world at a rate of 5%. Profits from interest were made slowly but for the thrifty compounded quickly but prices were usually set accordingly.

Feel free to ask me for more details on anything.

optical

• Administrator
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback at request.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 08:53:07 am »
@MarshyTheMan - Please dont post stupid shit. Read the topic and subforum you are posting in before replying.

Hey, thanks for the lengthy post. I really appreciate it!

I'll try address most of your points about plugins and suggestions.
What is this? A help plugin? That would be extremely useful, if you could point me in the right direction that would be great, but i will look into it myself now.

What else did it have that we dont have atm (We have HomeSpawnPlus, iirc)

Were using ChatManager which is bundled with PermissionsEx, but i think im going to switch over to HeroChat pretty soon..

Now, onto the economy.

I really, really want to implement economy. I think it is an excellent tool for any survival server. Coupled with SignShops this is a major part of gameplay, that will be coming soon.

Do you have any idea on how easy it is to setup a proper economy system? It is the kind of thing i would like to get right the first time. The 5% interest sounds pretty insane - sounds like it would explode very quickly.

Once again, appreciate the feedback a lot, don't get much useful feedback around here!

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 09:08:17 am »
On that note, something in IRC has gone wrong.
All messeges now say: <&Optibot-beta> <Message here>
Not <&Optibot-beta> <Name of person ingame> <Message>

DeVil.DeMonde

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 09:33:18 am »

Hey, thanks for the lengthy post. I really appreciate it!

I'll try address most of your points about plugins and suggestions.
No worries, I like to help.

What is this? A help plugin? That would be extremely useful, if you could point me in the right direction that would be great, but i will look into it myself now.
That is exactly what it is. One sec I'll fetch the link. http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/info-help-3-a-smarter-help-1060.13601/

What else did it have that we dont have atm (We have HomeSpawnPlus, iirc)
The ability to invite people to your home via command or revoke that same invitation, set a home as public or private (warping), and delete your home.

Were using ChatManager which is bundled with PermissionsEx, but i think im going to switch over to HeroChat pretty soon..
Yeah we talked about that. I've never tried HeroChat though from what i see if it works it's the best solution.

Now, onto the economy.

I really, really want to implement economy. I think it is an excellent tool for any survival server. Coupled with SignShops this is a major part of gameplay, that will be coming soon.

Do you have any idea on how easy it is to setup a proper economy system? It is the kind of thing i would like to get right the first time. The 5% interest sounds pretty insane - sounds like it would explode very quickly.

Once again, appreciate the feedback a lot, don't get much useful feedback around here!
It was super easy to set up as i set it up on my test server and a production server as well, the hardest part was teaching the players how to use SignShop.
5% For players sounds huge but at 30 min intervals it's not as bad as you might think. You have to take into account how long players stay logged in of course. But at 5% that initial $30 only grants about $1.5 every half hour of playing, and yes they must be logged in to get it (coupled with an idle kicker it would work SUPER well) Shoot even somebody with already $1000 only earns $50 every half hour. Now if Diamond costs $100 per (kinda like in real life) That player would have to play for an hour just to afford ONE diamond. Not too bad, he may be able to dig up some quicker, or he can blow a chunk of his cash.

On that note, something in IRC has gone wrong.
All messeges now say: <&Optibot-beta> <Message here>
Not <&Optibot-beta> <Name of person ingame> <Message>
Yup Claw I think we're all aware of that one. ;) At least anybody who has logged into the IRC channel.

DeVil.DeMonde

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 10:20:51 am »
I almost forgot to mention that via residence a lot of staff issues were alleviated as players were made responsible for their own protections. When somebody had an issue with griefing it was investigated, if their home was not protected they were asked why. The griefer of course is caught and punished, but the player learns a little lesson in self-defense. Eventually griefing is brought to a minimum.

lLLEGAL

• Recruit Operator
  • Champion Member
  • Legacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 10:25:54 am »
Nt sure if this is considered shity, but what perks do builders have?

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 10:27:22 am »
Nt sure if this is considered shity, but what perks do builders have?

There are no builders on this server currently. (As I know, there could be)
DeVil is saying there were builders on his server, right?

DeVil.DeMonde

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 10:58:15 am »
On our server builders had various permissions and sometimes discounts that other players didn't. For instance a builder could open a store with SignStore. Builders on this server might get access to waterbuckets. And beyond that maybe a trusted builder could have access to lava. it all depends on how the staff wants to handle it.

lLLEGAL

• Recruit Operator
  • Champion Member
  • Legacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 11:14:24 am »
Lava and fire would be good for trusted. But I like the idea of a rank between default and trusted. Maybe a better title like villager or something. Builder on SMP seems weird..

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 11:54:50 am »
Lava and fire would be good for trusted. But I like the idea of a rank between default and trusted. Maybe a better title like villager or something. Builder on SMP seems weird..

I already suggested a rank above trusted, below op. Trusted seems like a recruit in classic (lava, water etc.)

D00MKNlGHT

• I don't always kill, if I do it's because u stare
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 01:02:36 pm »
Having too many ranks complicate things. Plus will we still get interest if we dc halfway? Ppl dc very often.I feel the rank system is now ok...I also suggested having a warp donation program. And abt the shop it really makes things complicated can't we just use gold ingots to trade instead of the $ thingy.....the shop system can be made like the runescape grand exchange, where we can buy materials only if someone else is selling it, so as to prevent people from flooding the server with a certain item eg diamond, and reduce the value of diamond. I say this as people can donate then use the money to buy alot of diamonds and than start distributing for free, and then hard working miners will realize that their diamonds are worthless now. There should't be too many ranks, as it complicates things, and possibly discrimination may occur.... Nice effort for making a long post after joining opticraft forum for 4 days lol xP, how did u come to know about it?
By the way I removed my post, your post made mine look stupid haha.

morten2ela

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 01:05:07 pm »
An economy system would be good, but interest would only separate rich from poor players. When a player reach a certain amount of money, he could live of the rents, getting tens of thousands of $ each hour (what Optical meant by "explode").

Edit: D00m summed up what I think is the best system.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 03:48:46 pm »
I agree with morten that a gold based economy would be best, but to be honest, i have never really witnessed a money economy like the one suggested.
And optical, i give you all my feedback either in game or on mumble so saying you don't get much useful feedback isn't quite accurate.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 03:50:53 pm by Nick3306 »
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

optical

• Administrator
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 07:18:25 pm »
And optical, i give you all my feedback either in game or on mumble so saying you don't get much useful feedback isn't quite accurate.
Only a handful of people actually provide me with quality feedback, which isn't much at all.

optical

• Administrator
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 09:28:47 pm »
@Optic

What about a pvp system? Where you could be able to turn your pvp on and off and fight people?

Please dont hijack this topic. Post a new one.