May 03, 2024, 04:37:28 am

Author Topic: Minecraft.net Classic Server List  (Read 20799 times)

Luminaeus

• Crafter #008
    • View Profile
Minecraft.net Classic Server List
« on: September 15, 2011, 01:36:31 am »
Classic server list has been reorganized. We're no longer at the top. The endless supply of free nubs has been cut, we must now compete for new users like everyone else.

Should make Ops' and Admins' lives easier, which is good, because they'll need to be nice to people to keep them around.

lLLEGAL

• Recruit Operator
  • Champion Member
  • Legacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft.net Classic Server List
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 01:49:02 am »
Um. We'r not? Darn! I thought we r  only competing with t9k and andycraft?

Luminaeus

• Crafter #008
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 02:10:39 am »
Um. We'r not? Darn! I thought we r  only competing with t9k and andycraft?

Honestly, most people came here because Opticraft was at the top of the list and under it says "The one Notch tweeted about." I saw that and thought "Well, must be legit." If Opticraft wasn't at the top, I probably would have joined T9K because they seem more community oriented and apparently have a pro-ish graphic designer/community organizer on staff.

It seems to me that the strategy of Opticraft's survival was one of damage control. The server was hooked up to a firehose of rampaging nubs and it took some  heavy handed rules, Ops, and Admins to keep it under control. We could get away with less features and less rewards simply because most people weren't willing to shop around before picking a server. Without the nub-supply, we will have to quickly adapt or sink into obsolescence.

Mr_Mr_Mr

• Veteran
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 02:19:16 am »
Um, wrong topic? What does this have to do with beta?
Anyways, the list got updated: http://www.minecraft.net/classic/list

---><--- Click the monkey

lLLEGAL

• Recruit Operator
  • Champion Member
  • Legacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 02:19:52 am »
I chose opticraft cuz the name was nice :P
And one possibility why we have fewer players could be due to the negative comments about ops banning ppl for no reason(its the grieftraps)..

Luminaeus

• Crafter #008
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 02:21:30 am »
Um, wrong topic? What does this have to do with beta?
Anyways, the list got updated: http://www.minecraft.net/classic/list

Whoops, feel free to move it to the correct forum then. I thought there was only one general discussion :)

Oh, and if my graphic design skills can be of service, feel free to ask. I haven't kept up with php much over the years, but I can definitely put together a clean, modern design for the site. After $90 of donations the future of the server is of some small importance to me :P

lLLEGAL

• Recruit Operator
  • Champion Member
  • Legacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 02:27:00 am »
Hehe. $90 is small?
Why not u create a logo? Or a poster? Something like that. :P

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 02:28:08 am »
Um. We'r not? Darn! I thought we r  only competing with t9k and andycraft?

Honestly, most people came here because Opticraft was at the top of the list and under it says "The one Notch tweeted about." I saw that and thought "Well, must be legit." If Opticraft wasn't at the top, I probably would have joined T9K because they seem more community oriented and apparently have a pro-ish graphic designer/community organizer on staff.

It seems to me that the strategy of Opticraft's survival was one of damage control. The server was hooked up to a firehose of rampaging nubs and it took some  heavy handed rules, Ops, and Admins to keep it under control. We could get away with less features and less rewards simply because most people weren't willing to shop around before picking a server. Without the nub-supply, we will have to quickly adapt or sink into obsolescence.
I dont see a reason to post any of this since you aren't offering any solutions. I know you don't have bad intentions but it seems like you are just complaining about the classic server while praising Tk9.

Optical is now dedicating the majority of his time to the opticraft beta server so most likely the future of the opticraft community is on beta.

By the way, why would having a "pro-ish" graphic designer make tk9 better?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 02:39:05 am by Nick3306 »
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

Luminaeus

• Crafter #008
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 03:02:45 am »
I dont see a reason to post any of this since you aren't offering any solutions. I know you don't have bad intentions but it seems like you are just complaining about the classic server while praising Tk9.

I wouldn't say I'm praising T9K, I just said they give a nice first impression. But when you're competing for new members, that sort of thing becomes important. Hence the benefit of having a polished web presence.

Optical is now dedicating the majority of his time to the opticraft beta server so most likely the future of the opticraft community is on beta.

This is good, because beta is definitely the future. Especially now that 1.8 has a legit Creative mode.

Solutions?

I would like to see a beta version of our classic server. 512x512x96 flatgrass worlds but with all the fanciness that beta allows. Same ranks with same block restrictions - Except when recruits place water/lava its the real deal with physics. And redstone should be limited to builders, or crafters, depending on how much server CPU use it requires.

I would also like to see a shift in focus to community development instead of community policing. This should come naturally as OPs will suddenly have more free time to build and have fun.

Outside of the Minecraft world, we should have someone promote us in all the usual internet locations, and if it's desired, I can handle the graphics end of things.

buchanfree

• YES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 03:10:34 am »
we could enter the machinma top 5contests we can enter as opticraft dev server  some guys at a sever called mc server uk got popular we canalso create a specal map like an objective map so we have to remake things in video ect but only members+ can join inive seen lots of servers do that
btw im working ona opticraft logo
Im wonder woman!

lLLEGAL

• Recruit Operator
  • Champion Member
  • Legacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 03:19:53 am »
Buchanfree, use punctuation lol.
But good idea.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 03:22:37 am »

I wouldn't say I'm praising T9K, I just said they give a nice first impression. But when you're competing for new members, that sort of thing becomes important. Hence the benefit of having a polished web presence.

This is good, because beta is definitely the future. Especially now that 1.8 has a legit Creative mode.

Solutions?

I would like to see a beta version of our classic server. 512x512x96 flatgrass worlds but with all the fanciness that beta allows. Same ranks with same block restrictions - Except when recruits place water/lava its the real deal with physics. And redstone should be limited to builders, or crafters, depending on how much server CPU use it requires.

I would also like to see a shift in focus to community development instead of community policing. This should come naturally as OPs will suddenly have more free time to build and have fun.

Outside of the Minecraft world, we should have someone promote us in all the usual internet locations, and if it's desired, I can handle the graphics end of things.
As far as i know optical is only planning a survival server not a creative one.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

buchanfree

• YES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 03:27:46 am »
But good idea.
i youse puctuaton im not on a pc im on a verrrrrry slow phone

Im wonder woman!

SoulKnightGT

• The Griefer Reaper
  • Champion Member
  • Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 03:35:57 am »
But good idea.
i youse puctuaton im not on a pc im on a verrrrrry slow phone

Hey im on my DSi, but i still use punctuation alot lol.

but yea, I choose this server because i was, well kinda banned from a different server, so i came to a huge amount of people server, so i choose this server! :D and thats my story on how i joined this server ;) Opticraft, FTW oFTo
Holy balls.
Do not be afraid of your mistakes in the past Embrace them, Cherish them, and Reflect on them.

Luminaeus

• Crafter #008
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 03:42:01 am »
As far as i know optical is only planning a survival server not a creative one.

Everyone has a survival server. There's thousands of them. It would be a big mistake to not try to do something different.

Do you know of anyone who is planning a classic-creative style beta server? That would be a big draw for people like me.