May 06, 2024, 06:01:51 am

Author Topic: Builders can ban! (New tactic)  (Read 3372 times)

corourke70

• View Profile
Builders can ban! (New tactic)
« on: April 17, 2011, 11:24:27 pm »
There once was a story of a griefer! He was destroying everything in his path. Corourke70 stumbled upon him when there were no Operators online! Corourke70 told him to destroy the "coolest thing" on opticraft. The griefer was unsure of himself. After minutes of convincing, the griefer destroyed one block of the giant creeper and got banned!!!!! eheheheeehehehehhe

Yes, this is true. I convinced a griefer to destroy the creeper and i would let him get away with it. As soon as he destroyed one piece, he got banned.(grief trap) I laughed and then i posted the story on the forums. I hope people will use this tactic to get rid of griefers when no OPs are online. So i just thought i would share the idea.

Edit: BTW it was robocop4444 that i had banned.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 11:27:23 pm by corourke70 »

Spartan

• Follow my Twitter!
  • Champion Member
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
Re: Builders can ban! (New tactic)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 12:16:37 am »
This is a terrible idea... telling some person to grief? THATS RETARTED, A RANKED MEMBER TOLD HIM TO DO IT! Do not use this tactic, it will get you banned for encouraging griefing...

corourke70

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 12:23:31 am »
This is a terrible idea... telling some person to grief? THATS RETARTED, A RANKED MEMBER TOLD HIM TO DO IT! Do not use this tactic, it will get you banned for encouraging griefing...

I see your point and i will probably never do this again, but he was griefing non stop for about 20 minutes. I had 2 choices, sit back and watch him destroy everything and see people cry OR have him banned the only way i could. I was talking to him and he said he got griefed so he went into a rage of destroying everything for about 20 minutes. I never encourage griefing, it was my only way to get him to stop. It was only to him too. I did not say anything in chat about it because that would encourage people. I'm not going to be stupid about it and have everybody else think it is okay to grief. I sent him personal messages using @<name>. Personally i don't think it is that bad of an idea if you use it in moderation. Sure, go ahead and ban me for "encouraging griefing" but i was only trying to remove the griefer, which i successfully did with no harm.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 12:26:17 am by corourke70 »

Flight21

• Grammar Nazi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 11:54:34 pm »
While this is a questionable tactic, I personally believe it was necessary. Good job, Corourke. You handled the situation when no one was there to handle it.

corourke70

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 12:41:05 am »
Thankyou flight.

Toxicstriker91

• I rise you fall!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 05:01:18 am »
But he needs to destroy more than 1 block, i tried it b4 3 days.You need to destroy 5-10 blocks for ban.

Mr.Monkey

• Nomnom
  • 2D artist
    • View Profile
    • minecraft pictures
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 09:07:13 am »
Well, seeing as you had to convince him to destroy it, I don't agree with this. What could work on the other hand, is summon them to it, then let them decide for themselves. Only problem, builders can't summon :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

tbpb2010

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 09:49:16 pm »
Wow, thnx for reminding us Monkeh....... *i wish i had summon* :'(  I think this tactic worked under the circumstances Coro was in.  In the end it worked.  Of course the griefer would have to be pretty ignorant to believe a builder wasn't leading him in a trap. XD

Sometimes I wish us builders could send griefers to a temporary jail when no Ops are on. And then the Op could either ban or release them when they got on.  That way griefers dont get away with stuff and us builders aren't too over powered.  Sure they could leave and respawn but if they griefed again we'd just send them back to jail.  Just my 2 cents on the topic...

CraftyCharacter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 10:06:19 pm »
just wondering why you keep saying thats my two cents on the topic

And now for my two cents: I feel promoting and enticing griefing is not necessary, just go about it as it has always been dealt with, take down names and have pics, and post it in forum, there is a special part in forum called griefer reports arent there :P.  Also I have noticed an increasing amount of griefers who make new accounts after previous one has been banned, maybe an ipban trap should be designed.
The party starts when the griefing stops...or when I arrive:D

CheesyMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 05:45:18 pm »
Huh. Didn't really think about that... in some situations it is neccecary.
sorry, I'm not 20. that was a joke :S

chancecarey

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 05:16:33 am »
There are many builders, and some times ops DO find griefing in builder worlds.
What if the wrong builders decided to jail everyone?
Usually there are ops online, recently I have been offline but am coming back on.
Also, wouldn't it be better to give crafters that control, instead of builders?

Chance
Sorry am away:
Life threatened, moved to australia, on the move.  Check IP if you don't believe.

Mr_Mr_Mr

• Veteran
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 06:28:44 am »
hmmm what creeper... also DON'T encourage griefers to grief, other players on the server will hear a high ranked person talking about it and think "hey he's letting us grief! So... We can do it!!!" and then there are more griefers on at the time (at least in my opinion)

---><--- Click the monkey

corourke70

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 02:05:31 pm »
I'm not going to be stupid about it and have everybody else think it is okay to grief. I sent him personal messages using @<name>.
hmmm what creeper... also DON'T encourage griefers to grief, other players on the server will hear a high ranked person talking about it and think "hey he's letting us grief! So... We can do it!!!" and then there are more griefers on at the time (at least in my opinion)

I had already answered that, I knew people would look at the shiny green text and listen so i "whispered" it to him.

Relkeb

• Overwatch
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 02:33:53 pm »
Although this may be a smart and creative idea, it should not be performed. As many have already said, a higher ranking user telling someone to grief something may confuse others, and give them an opportunity to grief (it is good you used pm). Also, it is not a builders duty to be worrying about grief. We appreciate your concern for the betterment of the server, but it is an Operators job. Unfortunately, they may not always be on 24/7. Although feel free to call an Operator over if you have been called by a guest or have found something vulgar. If you wish to help out more, create an operator application.

corourke70

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 03:41:40 pm »
I've been wanting to create an operator application, but they are closed.

Edit: Nevermind, i just saw that they are open, and i will post an Operator application soon.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 03:45:36 pm by corourke70 »