May 02, 2024, 01:20:28 pm

Author Topic: Thoughts on mobile gaming?  (Read 7132 times)

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
  • Retired. Find me on Steam or IG.
    • View Profile
Thoughts on mobile gaming?
« on: March 23, 2014, 08:15:17 pm »
So I picked up Killzone Mercenary for the PS Vita two days ago...here are some screenshots.

(click to show/hide)

Let me restate this: This is a PS Vita game. Not a console game, but a handheld portable game. The PS Vita is said to have slightly better hardware than a PS2. This game can run these graphics and a little more with a steady frame rate. For the record, this game is actually loads of fun.

But I'm not here to just say "these graphics are cool" and leave it at that. Can we all just take a moment to realize how far portable gaming has come? To remember the times when we were AMAZED at the new portable nintendo system that had color? To remember when we heard of a new portable system that had the power of a SNES? 3D graphics? We could play games like Super Mario 64 (and I do happen to have that port) on the go, or when we just want to lay on our bed and relax. And then there's this talk about how games could be played with other people. But this was not just multiplayer. It was multiplayer with people miles away from your home on another console. And this very technology was being brought to you not just at home, but wherever you were at.

Remember when on the PS2 you could play massive Battlefront II matches with other players around the world? When Ratchet and Clank broke the restraints set by technology to go beyond your home? Well it's not just on a giant PS2/3/4/XB/360/1 anymore. This is happening on something much more compact. And you can still have beautiful looking games such as this, with all the basic features PSN has to offer (friends, trophies, and even party chat. Seriously? You couldn't even put the smallest amount of RAM for party chat on the PS3?). But of course, not all games are easy. If you need to know the best team you can have to be the best you possibly can in Pokemon. You just go to your computer and look it up. But when you can't figure out how to open up the vents for the secondary contract in Killzone like I did yesterday, I had an internet browser right there. Pause the game, go to the home screen and tap browser. No progress is lost, and when you return you have an idea of what you're doing, and you haven't lost any progress from having to shut down the game to use the browser.

And now our phones aren't just loaded with 3 cell phone numbers and Snake anymore (although if you like it like that, that's still an option). Our phones are capable of bringing us worlds like cheep cheeps flying through warp pipes in a world riddled with lawsuit threats. It is capable of running games about not playing, but instead watching your carrots grow, and your cows and your farm...okay, on a more serious note App Store games are everywhere. Some great, some not, few amazing. Anyone else know what EliminatePro was before it was shut down? Never before (and after) did I ever actually play an iPhone game and actually enjoy it as a hardcore gaming game or however you want to comprehend those few words. I mean, there are some other great games that get close to it (Battle Bears is great, Infinity Blade brings us some insane graphics, Call of Mini does good knock offs for us with Infinity being the closest thing to Halo other than what was EliminatePro) but the main point about mobile games on a phone is how much potential there is to it. If someone brings up the NVIDIA Shield and knows more about it than I do they can. Also, the aforementioned device not only plays games on (I believe it runs on Android, not sure), but it can actually play games along with your computer. We have seen other examples of this with the PS vita as well. Cross Play, anyone? This handheld device will actually play games and stream them straight to your PS3/4 so when you are at home, there's always another option to enhance your experience even further. Want to further look at the details of what you have on your PS3/4 right now? Why not try using the Vita as a second screen? And in fact, why not just put those games directly onto the Vita (PSASBR, Sly 4, Worms) so you can just keep playing after you're done with the PS3/4?

So after you're done reading this wall of text whether you skipped all of it or not, let me just make my final point that closes up this huge little rant: Mobile gaming has an amazing future ahead of it and it's incredible how far such technology has come with abilities such as the beautiful screenshots you just saw of Killzone. And yet we have so much more to see in the future.

So what are your thoughts on mobile gaming? Share below, I am interested to hear what you guys think. And if anyone knows about the NVIDIA Shield they can still explain it here.
I don't play Minecraft anymore and hardly come back to these forums. If you want to contact me, find me on Steam or Instagram. Username for everything is SalsaInABowl.

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on mobile gaming?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 08:23:01 pm »
beautiful looking games

Uh huh... I'll stick with my PC, thanks.

But on a serious note, mobile gaming will never compare with PC, or even console gaming. You just can't get the same experience on mobiles, with virtual controllers, and tiny screens, and I honestly can't see the point in portable consoles.

While you may think it's incredible, I quit after my DSi and have never looked back. While I still play and enjoy games on my mobile, I recognise that it's never as fun as the amazing games I can play on my PC.

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 08:30:55 pm »
I think we can all agree console/PC still wins over mobile but my point is how far mobile gaming has come and technology in general.
I don't play Minecraft anymore and hardly come back to these forums. If you want to contact me, find me on Steam or Instagram. Username for everything is SalsaInABowl.

Caanite.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 09:26:08 pm »
PC Master Race. Also, I think you put this in the wrong section of the forums :P
[22:52]   OptiBot-Creative   PIXELDUDE2001: Caanite is the almighty ceo and god of the server

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 09:28:38 pm »
PC Master Race. Also, I think you put this in the wrong section of the forums :P

I actually put it in offtopic but someone moved it to forum games...

And guys. I'm aware PC is better than mobile gaming. I never said it wasn't. Mobile gaming is getting much better, and that's the point I wanted to make.

Side note: My dad finally gave me that old computer I always talked about, so this may be the end of the single digit framerate era for me.

Note V2: lolnope 512 mb of RAM with a 1667 MHz processor, can't identify any other parts.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 10:49:09 pm by SalsaInABowl »

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 09:41:41 pm »
I actually put it in offtopic but someone moved it to forum games...

Moved back to offtopic.

Wone

• Self-proclaimed Grammar Nazi Colonel
  • Be courteous or GTFO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 12:39:36 pm »
I'm playing GTA:SA on my Xperia, and some other console ports.
Running on maximum graphic settings, they are pretty decent and no lag whatsoever.

jh2018

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 12:46:43 pm »
*cough* flappy bird *cough*

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 04:49:57 pm »

Do not mention that atrocity ever again.

Also I found a random AMD 2800+ somewhere and playing with the fan is addicting lol.

But do keep in mind it runs at like 1.6 GHz

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 04:59:18 pm »

What's wrong with it?

Mr_Mr_Mr

• Veteran
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 09:45:50 pm »

---><--- Click the monkey

Caanite.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 10:16:27 pm »

What's wrong with it?
Everything.
Let's stop... that game caused someone to commit suicide, so just stop
[22:52]   OptiBot-Creative   PIXELDUDE2001: Caanite is the almighty ceo and god of the server

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 10:39:39 pm »

What's wrong with it?
Everything.

That was a hoax.

And it wasn't a bad game. It was hugely successful and profitable for the guy making it.

Chipaton

• Young One
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 10:50:10 pm »

What's wrong with it?
Everything.

That was a hoax.

And it wasn't a bad game. It was hugely successful and profitable for the guy making it.
but dood liek the other kids play it and im n0t pro so it sux

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 12:35:04 am »
Am I the only one who thinks the guy shut it down because Nintendo was threatening to sue?

Bird is original but bears extreme similarity to cheep cheeps from Mario.
Mario Warp Pipes.
Mario background.
Mario floor.