May 08, 2024, 04:00:23 pm

Author Topic: Minecraft Dynamic Map  (Read 10972 times)

UnknownHedgehog

• Pointy Hedgehog
    • View Profile
Minecraft Dynamic Map
« on: December 30, 2013, 06:35:25 am »
In my opinion, I think the current live map application we use, Minecraft Overviewer, should be replaced with Minecraft Dynamic Map.

Here are the links to the Minecraft Dynamic Map:
http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/dynmap/
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/211913-minecraft-dynamic-map/

There are many things that make Minecraft Dynamic Map superior to Minecraft Overviewer:
  • Updated in real time. As in, you would no longer have to wait every few hours to see your builds updated on the map. You can apparently even have the map open on the browser and have Minecraft open, and see the changes happen as you build.
  • Players can be seen on the map. An icon of the user's face is seen where the player is currently located on the world. This is also pretty close to real time.
  • Users can switch between the isometric view (the view Minecraft Overviewer always uses) and a top-down view (much like how you look at maps in-game). There's even the option the owner can implement that allows users to view caves and tunnels in an "xray" type of view, but I'm sure that won't be implemented.
  • Weather and Minecraft time is shown on the top.
  • The option to allow users to see WorldGuard (protection zones) borders along with who owns them, the flags, etc; however, Optical would need to download the "corresponding Dynmap-* plugins" for that, which I know Optical doesn't like using other people's plug-ins.
  • Appareantly users can chat with players in-game, but I've never seen a server that utilized that.
  • "Overall highly configurable and customizable" as one of the links above mentions, so I'm assuming there's lots of options Optical would have to set up the maps.
-

I'm sorry for posting something that relates to another server, but I really want to provide an example. Here's a live map I googled:
http://www.buxville.net/map/?worldname=world&mapname=flat&zoom=0&x=1215.9999999999998&y=64&z=-2808

On the left side, you can toggle what icons you want see on the map (spawn, warps, players, etc.), and on the right you can change what world to look at and the map view (top-down, isometric, "cave" (which is the xray-esque view I mentioned before, which Im assuming is optional since Ive seen some servers have the option while others don't). Even the players online can be seen on the right.

Admittedly, there is one flaw I've noticed that Minecraft Overviewer has a one-up on, and that being that when you zoom in too close, the image starts to get a bit blurry. However, whether or not that outweighs all the good things I mentioned above is up to you.

I know we would need Optical in order for this to happen, but I think it would be worth trying to contact Optical about replacing the current live map, Minecraft Overviewer, with the far superior Minecraft Dynamic Map.

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft Dynamic Map
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 06:53:58 am »
If we can support it, then +1.

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 07:22:07 am »
I support the use of Dynmap. I think it's time for an upgrade.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 07:37:05 am »
We thought about this instea dof the map we currently use and there was a reason optical didnt want to use this. I cant for the life of me remember what that reason was. I assume it requires more resources and stuff.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 08:05:27 am »
I'm not an expert on plugins and their resource usage and what not, but there has always been the argument that Dynmap is 'resource hungry'. For someone who runs this plugin, I can say I haven't seen any kind of drop in server performance, or a drop in whatever Dynmap has been accused of affecting.

Not only that, there have been tons of updates to the plugin since the implementation of our current live map, those being bug updates and other things I'm sure Optical was originally weary of. I'd love to see this plugin in action.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 05:10:34 pm »
I'm not an expert on plugins and their resource usage and what not, but there has always been the argument that Dynmap is 'resource hungry'. For someone who runs this plugin, I can say I haven't seen any kind of drop in server performance, or a drop in whatever Dynmap has been accused of affecting.

Not only that, there have been tons of updates to the plugin since the implementation of our current live map, those being bug updates and other things I'm sure Optical was originally weary of. I'd love to see this plugin in action.
Ya we would have to see, because remember, we have 4 worlds that would be constantly updating.

FNVcourierjon(SigilStone)

• Champion Member
  • Vault 102 Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 05:31:47 pm »
I used to play on a sever with this, it was very helpful.

OzzyKP

• I sleep with the fishes.
    • View Profile
    • National Youth Rights Association
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 12:53:52 pm »
It would be awesome as long as it doesn't bog down the server.
Owner & Creator of Aquain, a huge underwater city in the old guest world.  Check out info on my underwater city here.

lillobby6

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 02:36:26 pm »
This is a great idea. Except for one thing. This plugin is harder to install that LogBlock. (in my point of veiw) When I used to run a server i couldnt even download it. So... I support if optical is willing to put a lot of effort into this plugin.

Download it as in add it to the server.

Use the "modify" button - Tobs
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 02:48:55 pm by Tobs »

iGenerator

• Super Trusted
  • Champion Member
  • Mayor of Rosenberg
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 10:25:18 pm »
I really don't like the dynamic map because of how generic and two dimensional it looks in addition to the overall cluttered look it has.  I personally prefer the side view we get with the minecraft overviewer and how uniform it looks.  Also if we get a new map all the current livemap links would be broken, causing an overall inconveniences.
Major Igenerator
City Planner for Stuttgart

DP

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 11:23:42 pm »
I really don't like the dynamic map because of how generic and two dimensional it looks in addition to the overall cluttered look it has.  I personally prefer the side view we get with the minecraft overviewer and how uniform it looks.  Also if we get a new map all the current livemap links would be broken, causing an overall inconveniences.
You can get the side view on the dynamic map too, although there seems to be more detail and sharpness on ours opposed to the dynamic map.

XzTriggerHappyzX

• Don't Be Upsetti....Have A Bowl Of Spaghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 12:55:15 am »
I used to play on an ftb server that had this plugin. It's very clean looking And useful. +1

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 07:16:00 am »
-snip-
You can get the side view on the dynamic map too, although there seems to be more detail and sharpness on ours opposed to the dynamic map.
You can enable a HD feature for Dynmap, although it's one of the few things I wouldn't suggest doing due to file sizes.

Afro_

• No, don't look here look there --->
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 08:19:59 pm »
3d version looks something like this:

Got that from another server.
The map looks better, being able to see who exactly is on(You see the face of the player's skin and their name beside it), and also where exactly they are. Apparently our map is a "Live Map"... It's not exactly "live" :P I support this.
Poor seaweed. He looks so weird toilets in a tree with no car on.
                  Opticraft:
SMP Trusted

UnknownHedgehog

• Pointy Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 05:05:33 pm »
We thought about this instea dof the map we currently use and there was a reason optical didnt want to use this. I cant for the life of me remember what that reason was. I assume it requires more resources and stuff.

Do you think it would be worth pming Optical and ask him about it after all these updates Deekay was talking about? Plus see if his mind has change after all this time. :P