May 08, 2024, 10:17:23 pm

Author Topic: New voting reward  (Read 13518 times)

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
  • Retired. Find me on Steam or IG.
    • View Profile
Re: New voting reward
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 10:35:03 pm »
Solution: add the ability to sell diamonds at the market for a low price. Now people can choose between money and diamonds
I don't play Minecraft anymore and hardly come back to these forums. If you want to contact me, find me on Steam or Instagram. Username for everything is SalsaInABowl.

RuthlessTomato

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 11:25:40 pm »
Salsa, you're forgetting about the people who have 20 billion diamonds from voting 5 times a day for a year or two.

TarynMai

• Admin
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 12:05:28 am »
Or we could stick with diamonds because new players would be pretty pissed if they have to work for something that other players have a shitton of.

Afro_

• No, don't look here look there --->
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 12:11:25 am »
Half money half diamonds?
Poor seaweed. He looks so weird toilets in a tree with no car on.
                  Opticraft:
SMP Trusted

TarynMai

• Admin
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 12:14:22 am »
Half money half diamonds?
Didnt we just try to limit how much money people get?

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 02:54:31 am »
But but but... I needz moar moneez!

davioo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 03:00:32 am »
Im pretty sure Nick already said that this was not subject to change. (I might be wrong though)

DJAlphaWolf

• Former "Super Recruit"
  • Champion Member
  • Self Proclaimed Opticraft Entertainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 06:22:10 am »
Or we could stick with diamonds because new players would be pretty pissed if they have to work for something that other players have a shitton of.
If we went off the assumption that every guest would get pissed at people owning so many diamonds through voting, then why did iron, melons and pumpkins get removed from the market in their own respective times? A lot of people were pissed about that too. They weren't guests but players nevertheless. Either they were pissed because they had a farm or they were pissed that people got so rich off the farms that there is "no possible way to make that much money anymore" and that they unfortunately missed the opportunity to make one of their own.

To be honest, I don't personally agree that just because we BELIEVE (not know for sure, but simply believe) that a majority of guests will get pissed, we won't change the voting reward to a more reasonable solution that would benefit players and the economy. And even if they do get mad...so what? That didn't stop us from removing items from the market.

And no matter what argument you make in regards to people leaving, eventually players come back lol. If you think people will leave over a simple change in the voting reward, you are sadly mistaken. 90% of guests don't even vote. Hell we only get about 5-10 daily voters. Everyone else just votes once or twice to get the diamonds, many of whom don't even fill out the captcha. So to be honest, diamonds or money, voting isn't currently something many players do much of anyways, so how can we assume guests/members are gonna be pissed? Would it really affect players negatively one way or another?

Right now, the "positive effects" every one seems to enjoy of having diamonds as a reward is that people can make armor and swords and whatever is needed, without the need to go finding it down in the dungeon. Because there's such an abundance of diamonds, players are often seen trading diamonds for small amounts of money. It's an infinite supply of diamonds theoretically coming in from a person who continuously votes so everyone can have more than the "5 a day" limit by simply trading with anyone anywhere. But think of the negative effects. We call ourselves a survival server ALOT but we are so loosely one. The fact that you can vote for an infinite amount of diamonds means that there is much less of that survival aspect. I mean, sure you can still die and lose your valuable diamonds, but honestly having the diamonds in 2 minutes as opposed to trying to find them for hours of mining just makes it easier for people to survive falling or mob attacks or whatever. Survival isn't supposed to be easy and items should not appear out of thin air. Survival, in essence, is working hard to feed yourself, to acquire items through hours of mining while fending off mobs. We have become more of a building/economy server and that troubles me.

By making money the new vote reward, players can spend it on the items they want in the market, especially PS, which is an item a majority of new players lack and constantly ask for. I see a lot of begging guests and sometimes even members, who need money to afford PS. Ya I know, we recently changed the market pricing for PS. Which is great, but that doesn't guarantee players can still get the PS they need, simply because they wouldn't know how to make money in the first place. Sure they get a free one by signing up on the forums, but it only covers such a small amount of land. More guests/members need to be able to afford the PS somehow and haven't had enough time or money to create some kind of farm that would help them reach their goals. PS is a great tool for those who want to protect their work and only those who have already figured out how to make money will be able to afford it (some members, but mostly trusted+). Fine, we don't have to be an exact definition of a survival server because we would like /tp and /home and mobdisguise and Protection Stones. But whats the point of having PS, if people can't afford it?

Personally, I'm in favor of reforming the voting reward to money. Sometimes, reform is a good thing, even if a temporary one. If you want to gauge what the public thinks, fine. But just because we change something doesn't mean people won't get over it. They will get over it as everyone eventually got over iron, pumpkin and melon removal. And I actually agreed with the removal of those items so yeah.

End rant.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 06:32:48 am by DJAlphaWolf »

daniblue182

• Mayor of Xanadu
  • 'All this time?' 'Always'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 01:14:25 pm »
Money would help the new guests and members more with building their first home etc, diamonds should get their value back in my opinion

The selfie that made nick change spawn.

jcgaming

• SMP trusted
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 04:54:29 pm »
I agree i have way to many diamonds and they just start felling cheep and worthless

TarynMai

• Admin
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013, 06:19:05 pm »
Holy wall of text. And I understand what you're saying. Personally, I don't care what the voting reward is as long as everyone can enjoy it, unlike with tpa.

DJAlphaWolf

• Former "Super Recruit"
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2013, 07:07:06 pm »
Holy wall of text. And I understand what you're saying. Personally, I don't care what the voting reward is as long as everyone can enjoy it, unlike with tpa.
Right. :P

It'd be nice if we could somehow test out money as a reward for a little while. Or at the very least, put it to a vote in the community somehow. I just wouldn't know how to gauge the guest's opinion though....

Afro_

• No, don't look here look there --->
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2013, 09:44:55 pm »
Nailed it dj, how long did you spend writing that holy wall of text?
Poor seaweed. He looks so weird toilets in a tree with no car on.
                  Opticraft:
SMP Trusted

Gogar72

• Architect
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2013, 09:51:41 pm »
DJ, me and Girl were talking about this and you basically said everything that went throughout our messages, thanks for putting a better description for it.

DJAlphaWolf

• Former "Super Recruit"
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2013, 01:01:32 am »
Nailed it dj, how long did you spend writing that holy wall of text?
DJ, me and Girl were talking about this and you basically said everything that went throughout our messages, thanks for putting a better description for it.
Took me about 20 minutes of writing. 10 more minutes of editing my thoughts. I write slow :P. I wanted to get my particular thoughts and message across as maturely as possible and usually when I'm very passionate about something, I write "holy walls of text" as many people like to put it.

Anyways, I can only hope that my and several others thoughts regarding this will be heard and at the very least considered by the Operator+ staff team.