May 03, 2024, 07:50:25 am

Author Topic: Hall of fame warp station  (Read 16157 times)

B1ueJ0ker

• View Profile
Hall of fame warp station
« on: September 09, 2013, 02:19:56 am »
There are many wonderful builds on opticraft. There are many players who keep there creations public in hopes to share it with everyone. Not everyone knows everyone and most players wish to be left alone, but there are a few greats creations that you could say define Opticraft as a talented server. It's not uncommon to look for servers with talented members to play with, so why not add a warp station that would allow players to see the best of opticraft without the fear of "should i be here"

If this idea has your attention, I think an application process should be in place (just like project protection application) This would encourage players to build great things. New players who log in for the first time would have a chance to see great things and not just the "world war III" land around the spawns.

The application process would wouldn't be hard. I would suggest that before a creation be accepted it should already have been accepted for project protection.

I've looked through the accepted project protections and I've read about many creations that i would love to visit, but i don't know the creators and so I've never gone to any of these creations for fear that they aren't meant to be public. I've met new players who explore my castle and TP away when i say hi, scared that i don't want them there. I would love to spend a day exploring opticraft's greats just by clicking on a sign and not wondering "am i trespassing?"

I only see one problem that could come from it.
 -this ease of access may have the same effect on the creations that it had on the spawn. I'm talking about "world war III"  lands around them.

If the idea takes off i would summit an application for my Herobrines keep.

FNVcourierjon(SigilStone)

• Champion Member
  • Vault 102 Overseer
    • View Profile
Re: Hall of fame warp station
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 11:22:21 am »
I like the idea

daniblue182

• Mayor of Xanadu
  • 'All this time?' 'Always'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 11:37:41 am »
This idea sounds pretty good I'd support it ^_^

The selfie that made nick change spawn.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 03:14:06 pm »
Not a bad idea but we would need a size limit. Moving huge structures takes way too long due to having to break them up into pieces.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

daniblue182

• Mayor of Xanadu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 04:07:42 pm »
Or you could just have signs that lead to the places instead of moving them

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 04:15:00 pm »
Most people dont really like random people just being warped to their builds.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

B1ueJ0ker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 04:32:23 pm »
I understand that many players don't like random players walking around their builds, but this isn't true about all players, that's why i suggest an application. Players who don't want to have their builds public shouldn't put an app in. By opening an application you could see if there is enough to even take the time.

daniblue182 understands what i meant buy warp station. You could build a place just like you have for the warp east/west/north/south but rather the sign takes you to the already built location.

one example - would be a sign that's say's (Herobrine's Keep) when a player clicks on the sign they are teleported to the coordinates that /home B1ueJ0ker is set at.

another example - If Qu1cks1lva wanted to add Emerald Keep then there would be a sign that say's (Emerald Keep) or (emerald Keep by Qu1cks1lva) and the sign would teleport you to the coordinates of Emerald Keep.

You could get as creative as the PvPhub or as simple as the East/west/north/south teleports in the member world.

VoreReznor

• Father
  • Operator
  • SMP - Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 08:17:34 pm »
I like this idea B1ueJ0ker!  I would love to help in anyway possible.

360OLLIE

• Mank Demes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 08:20:34 pm »
This is a great way to show off those amazing builds that have sadly been forgotten.
+1

B1ueJ0ker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 09:00:57 pm »
The problem with a copy of (example - Herobrine's Keep) is it would freeze the creation in time. It's unfinished, but not abandoned. There's so much more detail I have planned. Survival crafting is a slow process on a massive creation (+500,000 blocks have already been placed). I have a year into the keep and I'm not even close to done. I would bet the old guest world (where Herobrine's keep is located) will be deleted before I finish everything I would like to do to it.

Copying the Keep as it is now won't do it justice 6 months from now. Having a warp would allow players to watch the progress.

I maybe the only player who has never placed my /home behind a door to keep players out.

daniblue182

• Mayor of Xanadu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 09:16:53 pm »
Most people dont really like random people just being warped to their builds.

Wouldn't just put others builds at the warp without asking them or them volunteering ^_^

OzzyKP

• I sleep with the fishes.
    • View Profile
    • National Youth Rights Association
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 11:02:19 pm »
I whole heartedly support this idea. 

There isn't much I can say to add to B1ue's quality reasons for this, but I fully support it.  I'd recommend that there would be a higher standard for getting into the Hall of Fame than the criteria for city protection.  These should be the absolute best of the best.  Awe-inspiring builds to show off the best that Opticraft has to offer.  Emerald & Herobrine's Keeps would definitely top the list.
Owner & Creator of Aquain, a huge underwater city in the old guest world.  Check out info on my underwater city here.

UnknownHedgehog

• Pointy Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 11:17:22 pm »
I think this is an excellent idea.
I also agree with the idea of placing warp signs by their builds would be better than copying and pasting them. Also, since this would be a thing based off of accepted applications, if that person doesn't want other people running around their build, then they simply don't apply. Them applying would show that this person doesn't mind other people around their build such as I (also, if the build is fully protected, such as by project protection, the person who built it wouldn't have to fear it being grieved).

If I may add to this proposition, I suggest that maybe this gets treated like the project protection in that the whole build would be fully protected also. Like, say you have an amazing build and decide you want to apply for the "Hall of Fame", if accepted it would be fully protected so that people don't grief anything. However, if you want the build protected but don't like the idea of other people being at your build, then you could just apply for the regular project protection and not have to worry about other people.

It'd work out both ways then. People who get accepted to the "Hall of Fame" would agree to the terms that they dont mind random people will be at your place, but assured that it won't be griefed through the protection. But if that person doesn't want random people at their place, then they can just apply for the regular project protection.

However, one difference I think between the project protection and the "Hall of Fame" would be I think the Hall of Fame should be held to a higher standard. Just like how if somebody on Classic wants to become a Crafter, they have to build Crafter worthy builds; if somebody wants to build a build for the Hall of Fame, it must be a Hall of Fame worthy build. I think that only the really amazing builds would be accepted to the Hall of Fame, but if it doesnt qualify for the Hall of Fame, it could still be good for project protection (if it is that good ofc). I don't know how this would be determined exactly, however. On Classic, Crafter apps were reviewed by other Crafters and they discussed whether or not that person is ready for Crafter. I don't know how that'd work for smp since we don't have build ranks on here (I'm also the only active Crafter on Opticraft). Perhaps staff would debate over this (maybe only Ops and admins?). I don't know, but Im sure something could be worked out.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 11:37:55 pm by UnknownHedgehog »

B1ueJ0ker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 11:58:32 pm »
I'm glad to see others like the idea. I have no more input other then i trust the staffs decisions, and I hope this suggestion will provide a strong foundation for the staff to build on and make something the whole server can be proud of. If something should come of this, I would love to be first in line to be apart of this. If this proves to be a bad idea, no hard feeling.

Nhataley

• ^ First Profile Pic in a long time. Thanks Zera!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 05:04:17 am »
I would very much enjoy this! =)