May 06, 2024, 03:08:53 am

Author Topic: Hardcore Island Proposition;  (Read 8872 times)

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hardcore Island Proposition;
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 06:58:01 am »
We have no one to code any of this.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

XzTriggerHappyzX

• Don't Be Upsetti....Have A Bowl Of Spaghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 09:15:26 am »
so where do we start? with getting a dev? Opti know anyone else that can do it? or you nick, know anyone?

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 09:56:25 am »
so where do we start? with getting a dev? Opti know anyone else that can do it? or you nick, know anyone?

We have nobody. If we did know anyone who was willing to do it, they'd already be doing it.

We can't just pick up anyone, since a few lines of malicious code contained in the plugin is enough to destroy the server.

XzTriggerHappyzX

• Don't Be Upsetti....Have A Bowl Of Spaghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 12:44:42 pm »
sooo this server is (in other words) being run into the ground soon to hit and be destroyed?  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( unless we can get a dev?
i'd hate for everyone to be split up from one another. meaning this server is like a 2nd family for some. to see it go would be almost the end of the world. ;(
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 12:52:00 pm by XzTriggerHappyzX »

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 01:56:12 pm »

We can't just pick up anyone, since a few lines of malicious code contained in the plugin is enough to destroy the server.
I agree and all.. but "malicious code" "destroy the server"?
I feel like people don't really understand java when they say that. Sure, in extreme circumstances someone could code something bad, but that's if we were stupid enough to hire someone we didn't trust. If it were a mistake in the code somewhere, all it's gonna do is throw you some crap in the console, and you can fix it. There won't be a nuke going off on the server because of some code.

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2014, 02:04:43 pm »

I agree and all.. but "malicious code" "destroy the server"?
I feel like people don't really understand java when they say that. Sure, in extreme circumstances someone could code something bad, but that's if we were stupid enough to hire someone we didn't trust. If it were a mistake in the code somewhere, all it's gonna do is throw you some crap in the console, and you can fix it. There won't be a nuke going off on the server because of some code.

Of course a small mistake won't destroy the server. I was more getting at the ability to do pretty much anything. While it is unlikely whoever we take will choose to put in a small routine to give himself op, it still is a valid risk.

So far, I've only ever seen one person volunteer to code for the server, and he was rejected due to lack of trust.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2014, 03:57:23 pm »

We have nobody. If we did know anyone who was willing to do it, they'd already be doing it.

Well any code that will ever get added to the server will be reviewed by me and optical anyway and simple backdoors are not too difficult to spot.

But you are right, if we knew anyone we would have a dev. If I can find time this summer I'll start doing some dev work but no promises.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

andersad

• Get out there and live!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2014, 05:07:48 pm »
No guarantees I used to know a few people that could make good devs but I dont know if I'll b able to find them. Ill try.
Opticraft- Best SMP server EVER
Go get em' :)