May 19, 2024, 12:26:53 am

Author Topic: A Solution To All These Chest Shop Suggestions  (Read 8270 times)

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
A Solution To All These Chest Shop Suggestions
« on: June 09, 2013, 02:20:43 am »
Ok, people want Chest Shops, but there could be too much spam. However there could be just as much spam with vanilla shops, but there isn't. This is most likely due to the fact that it takes time and a lot of supplies to make a vanilla shop, therefore they aren't as common.

I now have two possible solutions:

1) Make one of the items in the server market have an equal buy and sell price. I would personally recommend Iron. Iron in the market can be sold to the market for $25 per ingot. If Iron ingots in the market were set to where you could buy ingots from the market for $25 AND sell them for $25 (in other words if I bought an iron ingot from the market, and then sold it back immediately after, I wouldn't gain nor lose any money). How does this solve the chest shop problem? Well, vanilla shops are trading items for items. The argument is you can't do credits for items. So this fix would make it where people could buy items from vanilla shops for credits, but there would be that one extra step of first buying an item such as ingots from the market before spending the ingots at the vanilla chest shop. Then the owner of the chest shop can simply sell the ingots back to the market to make the credits back. No money is created or destroyed. Just transferred.

2) Modify the chest shop plugin so the chest shop will only work if the chest holding the chest shop items is placed on a pyramid. This would be a two layered pyramid. The bottom (base) layer would need to be a 3 by 3 set of iron blocks. The second (top) layer would need to be a single block of quartz block. This would represent the high cost of iron and quartz that vanilla shops have, and the footprint of space needed by the chest shops would be larger (albeit not nearly as large as the footprint taken up by a vanilla shop.

Best griefer name ^

frobalt

• View Profile
Re: A Solution To All These Chest Shop Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 01:33:56 pm »
I like that solutions could be thought up with for this.

If we went with 1 though, there would need to be other items that were also able to be bought for the same price as sold, as a lot of chest shop designs only allow a 1:1 ratio.

If we went with the idea of modifying where you could place shops, I think it'd be much easier to program if they were only allowed within the radius of a protection stone.

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 01:54:50 pm »
Frobalt, you don't need multiple items to sell and buy for the same price. Just 1. It is insanely easy to make a chest shop give more than 1 item when 1 item is placed inside. You simply add a repeater-delay which takes input from the iron ingot acceptor, and then the relay's output goes to the output hopper. I designed a delay system which allows my shops to give, for example, 50 wood plank blocks for 1 iron ingot. It's designed so each repeater in the delay (set at 4 redstone ticks) will make the shop give 2 of an item. You can set a repeater to 2 ticks to make it dispense 1 item. It really is very easy to do.

Really, the ONLY thing that vanilla shops need in order to have all of the functionality of a chest shop is an automated way for players to exchange their credits in their balance for a common item which can be used as a currency. In my case, I am suggesting iron ingots be used as a common item currency. Then if you want your shop setup where players can buy your things from it using their credits, they just have to go get iron ingots. Then you judge what your shop puts out based on the market price of ingots.

You can even design your shop to not dispense stuff until a certain number of iron ingots is put in using a hopper counter. Really simple to make, and the design makes it where the shop doesn't send an output signal to the repeater delays until a certain number of an item is put in. For example, 2crzy has a shop which takes 3 iron ingots before it will give you a gold ingot.

Best griefer name ^

RuthlessTomato

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 02:39:41 pm »
There is a way to make it so that every time you create a chest shop it will charge you. We could make it like $500 for a shop so they aren't overly spammed.

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 02:53:11 pm »
Another great idea suggested by Goalie Guy, but I would go higher, like 1,500 to make a new chest shop. After all, you don't see coal PS's spammed everywhere (well, you do, but only in the old guest world since it's so old and has had plenty of time to become a huge mess of grief.

Best griefer name ^

RuthlessTomato

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 03:06:09 pm »
Another great idea suggested by Goalie Guy
oh yeah.

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 08:56:06 pm »
They're apparently not going to be revisiting the store plugins, so here are some tutorials for different ways to build the vanilla stores (for those who want stores).  They aren't as hard to build as some might think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWnQKjBRQwQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwSP_xkp5DE (Best One, in my opinion)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE7DZwRCOZM

Enjoy folks!

Note:  Most of these shops don't have an auto-shutoff feature for when they run out of items, so be sure to add one to keep your customers from being ripped off.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 08:58:30 pm by ViperZeroOne »
"I griefed because my dog sat on my mouse and farted!"
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

Dark Knight eh?.... I'M BATMAN!!!  ;)

zwaan111

• SMP - trusted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 09:03:25 pm »
chief built a shop that has a light that goes off when the shop is empty and then the shop wont eat any items anymore too.

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 10:06:08 pm »
Yea, you can just use a redstone chest to hold the sale items and a comparitor beside it hooked to a light that will go out when the chest is empty.

I'm making a very small 3-slot store on my island using the second (very compact) shop design.
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 10:21:55 pm »
Yea, you can just use a redstone chest to hold the sale items and a comparitor beside it hooked to a light that will go out when the chest is empty.

I'm making a very small 3-slot store on my island using the second (very compact) shop design.

You're welcome lol......

2468avc

• SMP Trusted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 10:44:09 pm »
The design you like is the one 360OLLIE and I built. I'm fairly sure we were the first on opti to use that design.
-2468avc

*Looking for a signature, feel free to make one for me :)*

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 11:31:21 pm »
That design is bad, a separate input and output, also it clogs.

Nhataley

• ^ First Profile Pic in a long time. Thanks Zera!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 12:00:22 am »
The design you like is the one 360OLLIE and I built. I'm fairly sure we were the first on opti to use that design.
Does it matter? =P

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 03:05:15 am »

Not that bad of a design, and the only way it clogs is if some idiot puts 8 different wrong items in the payment box.  In that case, the idiot looses their items and the store doesn't rip off anyone because it won't accept any payment when it's clogged.  It's still a good design when you need a very compact store like what I'm building.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 03:15:52 am by ViperZeroOne »
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

360OLLIE

• Mank Demes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 10:45:57 am »

Not that bad of a design, and the only way it clogs is if some idiot puts 8 different wrong items in the payment box.  In that case, the idiot looses their items and the store doesn't rip off anyone because it won't accept any payment when it's clogged.  It's still a good design when you need a very compact store like what I'm building.

Yea, you just gotta remember to clean it out often to try and avoid that. Also, just asking this: My chestshop isn't very popular is a sense that people don't know about it. So if someone comes by the chestshop and later the hopper that takes all the unwanted stuff is clogged, if the person filled it purposely just to troll, can they be punished in any sort of way? If they're just a noob to chestshops though and they somehow couldn't figure out what to do, then leave them be. Though it would be impossible to know what the person's purpose in filling the unit was without personal interview.