May 07, 2024, 06:00:45 am

Author Topic: What plugins are there that affect water?  (Read 6477 times)

frobalt

• View Profile
What plugins are there that affect water?
« on: May 23, 2013, 11:04:19 pm »
So, I've tried modifying my mob farm so that it uses a water bucket dispenser system to flush mobs, as seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iN262uzigko

There is a problem with it, however: After a time (seems to be random) a random water source block will be created in the middle of a section. I can't find any reason that this is happening.

I've managed to recreate this 'bug' in an isolated section on the 1st (2nd, for the Americans out there) floor of my village. However, I've setup the same scenario as in my village in a single player map, and it doesn't appear to be happening there.

So, I was wondering, is there a plugin/mod to the server that could be causing this, or could it simply be a matter of multiplayer in general messing it up?

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: What plugins are there that affect water?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 11:42:01 pm »
If you put 2 source blocks eside an empty space, they make a new source block. That's just how water works

frobalt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 08:06:58 am »
If you put 2 source blocks eside an empty space, they make a new source block. That's just how water works

That isn't the case here.

The dispensers are along the back wall of an area in the mob farm. The water source goes directly in front of the dispensers, yet new water sources can be created at seemingly random places in the area, even though it isn't surrounded by 2 other water sources.

I reiterate, this error doesn't happen on single player mode, so either it's a general error with SMP or a plugin is causing it.

Edit:

Here's a small example:

http://i.imgur.com/IUc7FAP.jpg

I'm stood directly on top of the dispensers. There is 3 total, and as you can see, there is an area for water to flow.
When you have an empty bucket inside a dispenser and power it, the bucket will take in water that is in front of the dispenser. When it has a water bucket in it, it will place a water source in front of the dispenser.

The blocks insides the red circle are where there should be water sources, and only where there should be water sources.

Since it is a 3x1x1 area with no other water sources, there should not be a situation where there are 2 water sources surrounding a different block, so no other water sources should be created.

I have a simple clock that sends a pulse to the dispensers ever 4 seconds, so water is alternating between being placed and being picked up.

After leaving it running for a bit, this is what happened:

http://i.imgur.com/ge1fPWu.jpg

As you can see there, another water source has formed towards the far end of the area. I have turned off the clock by this point so that the dispenser doesn't have water out to more easier illustrate this.

This shouldn't happen. I've created this simple setup in creative mode and it works perfectly.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 09:44:41 am by frobalt »

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 06:10:36 pm »
I don't think it's a plugin. Possibly a bukkit issue, I went to your home and couldn't recreate it. Maybe it has something to do with chunks reloading? I even checked with logblock to make sure no one was putting water there, and no one was. So, it's tough to say what it is, some things, (mainly redstone) act up in any SMP situation.

frobalt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 08:12:38 pm »
I don't think it's a plugin. Possibly a bukkit issue, I went to your home and couldn't recreate it. Maybe it has something to do with chunks reloading? I even checked with logblock to make sure no one was putting water there, and no one was. So, it's tough to say what it is, some things, (mainly redstone) act up in any SMP situation.

How long did you wait by it for? Cause it can sometimes take a few minutes or so to bug out.

Hopefully there's some sort of fix for it anyway, as I want to expand it to the rest of my mob farm ASAP really.

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 03:48:16 am »
I waited for a good 20 mins.

frobalt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 11:51:24 am »
I waited for a good 20 mins.

It really mustn't like me then :/

Is it possible that not having the rank of trusted is affecting it?

Freekkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 12:20:52 am »
This is a bug.

It has happened to me many times already, and when I talked in chat about it, it seemed that other players were having the same problem too, when the same 'situation' occured.

The 'situation' was always:
You start off with 1 water sourceblock. When you block off that water sourceblock somehow,the water where it used to flow out of disappears. Then, while the water is disappearing, a new water sourceblock appears right on a random place, where the water was flowing before. You end up with 2 water sourceblocks.

This doesn't always happen. It is very random on which place and what time it happens.

frobalt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 12:31:11 am »
This is a bug.

It has happened to me many times already, and when I talked in chat about it, it seemed that other players were having the same problem too, when the same 'situation' occured.

The 'situation' was always:
You start off with 1 water sourceblock. When you block off that water sourceblock somehow,the water where it used to flow out of disappears. Then, while the water is disappearing, a new water sourceblock appears right on a random place, where the water was flowing before. You end up with 2 water sourceblocks.

This doesn't always happen. It is very random on which place and what time it happens.

Thank you for posting!

It's weirdly nice that someone can confirm it is a bug.

Now, I spent my placement year of university as a support developer, which meant I dealt with bugs in a system on a daily basis, so I like to think I've gotten pretty good at honing in on the problem, however, I don't have enough information to draw a proper conclusion yet, all I have so far is:

1. When a water source block is removed and the water drained, there is a chance that another water source block is created on 1 (or potentially more) of the blocks that has/previously had water on.

2. Attempting to recreate this in single player mode fails.

3. According to the wiki about how water source creation works, this shouldn't happen. As has been said already, a block needs to adjacent water source blocks for one to be created, which is 1 way a water source block is spawned. This isn't the case. Another way is out of a bucket or dispenser, which also isn't the case. The third that I know of is when terrain is generated, which is definitely not the case here.

As far as I can tell, that means it's either a problem with how SMP works in general or it's a plugin that is installed on the server.

However, I s'pose it is possible that I was 'unlucky' with my attempts to recreate it on single player, but I left it a good while and it yielded a negative result.

So, I'll return to my topic title: What plugins are there that affect water? If you tell me what plugins there are, I might be able to create a private server and attempt to recreate it that way until I can isolate the cause of the problem, because I really don't have anything better to do at the minute and this bug is really annoying me.

frobalt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 12:33:29 am »
Sorry for the double post, but would really appreciate someone answering this question so I can try and investigate the cause of the bug.

I'm sure I'm not the only 1 that would like to see this fixed. It's the only thing keeping my xp farm from being efficient; I need water to move mobs as only those in a certain range move which severely limits efficiency.

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 03:49:35 pm »
So I had a source block spawn randomly from flowing water the other day. Sorry but I'm not sure if any plugins handle water not placed by a person, it may be a bug resulting from the change to water recently.

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
  • Retired. Find me on Steam or IG.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 11:07:38 pm »
So I had a source block spawn randomly from flowing water the other day. Sorry but I'm not sure if any plugins handle water not placed by a person, it may be a bug resulting from the change to water recently.

Change to water?
I don't play Minecraft anymore and hardly come back to these forums. If you want to contact me, find me on Steam or Instagram. Username for everything is SalsaInABowl.

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 12:14:48 am »
1.5 made it to where taking a bucket of water from an ocean wouldnt leave a little pock mark. Basically water blocks count as a solid block now for flowing water.

frobalt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 12:21:14 pm »

It's a nice theory, but since it can't be recreated in single player mode I doubt it's a big to the game in general.

I'm curious: Was yours just water that happened to be flowing or had you recently got rid of the source block?

From my experience, it only seems to happen when you remove the source block and the water has to dry up. It's possible that some code in the plugin picks up this clearing up and, for some reason, creates a source block where the water is draining. I can't know for sure though unless I investigate it.

frobalt

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 01:57:05 am »
Update:

I've created myself a bukkit server on my local machine. So far, the only plugins are WorldGuard, ProtectionStones and WorldEdit. I have re-created the dispenser area that is currently in my base near the spawn, and it works perfectly.

I need the name of the plugin that this server uses to prevent guests/members from placing water. I suspect this is the plugin that might be faltering, but any other that might affect water would be useful to know of.

I apologise for once again double posting, but for some reason I'm not being listened to.

I'll reiterate:

There is a problem on this server where a random water source can be created when another water source is removed, instead of just having the flowing water remove as it should.

This is not caused by 2 water sources being adjacent to the block where the new source is.
It isn't caused by minecraft software in general, as I have tested that out.
It also isn't vanilla bukkit, which also discounts it being a generic SMP problem.

This can only mean that it is being caused by some plugin that this server is using.

I know that I can't fix this error simply by finding exactly where it is, but if I could bring it to the developer's attention then it stands a chance of being fixed.

I can't possibly be the only 1 that is really irritated by this problem.

The alternative is, suggest me a way to create an XP farm that doesn't require spawners and doesn't require having to be within a certain distance of the mobs so they can move.

Edit:

If anyone wants to join my server to check this out for themselves, let me know and I'll post up the IP address. Hopefully you'll be available to check it out when I've got the server running - Obviously I won't be running it 24/7 as it is a local machine and can't be used for anything apart from looking at what I've created.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:58:49 am by frobalt »