May 02, 2024, 09:21:23 pm

Author Topic: Need Information about Server  (Read 1678 times)

Midgetized

• View Profile
Need Information about Server
« on: April 18, 2013, 10:58:50 pm »
It's been months since I last played this server and would like to know a few details about how it works.

How does mob spawning work on the server, such as:
Can hostile mobs still spawn normally or is it turned off/ limited?
Can neutral mobs such as cows and sheep spawn on grass tiles?
At what rate do the mobs spawn, at normal rates or at decreased rates.

I ask since I havent seen many mobs spawn in unlit areas around me, just scattered around the map

-

Sometimes a little bit of pessimism goes further than a stream of optimism, it lets you see both sides of the coin and break the illusion of the reality that others built around you.

360OLLIE

• Mank Demes
    • View Profile
Re: Need Information about Server
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 11:02:53 pm »
Can hostile mobs still spawn normally or is it turned off/ limited?: Normally

Can neutral mobs such as cows and sheep spawn on grass tiles?: Yes

At what rate do the mobs spawn, at normal rates or at decreased rates.: Hard to say, it depends on a load of things I think. I don't see much of any problems at all with the spawn rates currently.

Hope this helped.

Zeradeth_

• "I am burdened with glorious purpose." -Loki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 12:32:16 am »
There's probably some kind of complicated mathematical equation/algorithm to explain the spawn rates, but I'll use Zera language. As far as I've seen, the spawning rates are directly related to the amount of lag the server is experiencing. I may be (probably am) wrong about this, but that's been my experience. There is a mob cap and a mob culling plug-in to prevent mass lag due to too many mobs (hostile or non) grouping into one spot.

Mob cap: Mobs will stop spawning in an area once that area is occupied by a certain number of mobs.
Mob culling: If too many mobs (such as villagers) are contained in one area, they will be slaughtered mercilessly, never to be seen again. (At least a few of them so they're below the mob cap).

Again, this is my experience, and what I've gleaned from visually evesdropping on other people's conversations :P To those who can, feel free to correct me and modify my info!

I encourage it. o_o
Visit the Typing Test and try!

cschurz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 10:07:19 pm »
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Spawn

+

Mob cap: Mobs will stop spawning in an area once that area is occupied by a certain number of mobs.

Mob culling: If too many mobs (such as villagers) are contained in one area, they will be slaughtered mercilessly, never to be seen again. (At least a few of them so they're below the mob cap).

~6 mobs in a 2 block radius or so is the current "max."