May 18, 2024, 02:02:39 am

Author Topic: New System of Voting Rewards  (Read 4917 times)

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
New System of Voting Rewards
« on: March 02, 2013, 10:34:04 pm »
Firstly, we should Votifier. Why?

Votifier is a Bukkit plugin whose purpose is to get notified (aka votified) when a vote is made on a Minecraft server list for the server. Votifier creates a lightweight server that waits for connections by a Minecraft server list and uses a simple protocol to get information about that vote. Votifier is and always will be open-source.

It is open source, and verifies that the vote is legit. By being open source we can modify the code to fit the server perfectly. It also listens for information about the votes from the top lists so we know the votes are legit.

Secondly, lets rework the top voter thing. Right now if you don't vote one time then your chances of being a top voter are slim if that. So I have an idea:

Everyone has a value, points, attached to their account. Points are how many votes a player has "built up." One vote (using votifier so it's legit) provides the player's forum account with one point. At any time these points may be redeemed for one diamond per point, so if I vote 100 times over many days, I will have 100 points. If I redeem that, then my minecraft account will be credited with 100 diamonds.

The top voter is based on who has the most points at the end of a month. This makes it interesting because if I forget to vote at the end of one month then I can keep my points and let them roll over to the next month where I have a good chance of winning depending on who else carried their points over as well. Now think about everyone doing this at once. This could allow everyone to have a chance at top voter each month. One catch, however. If you win top voter 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place, then you get the top voter reward for the month, BUT your points are automatically redeemed. This means if someone carries their points over for three months and gets top voter, they can't just roll them over again and get top voter over and over again until they redeem their points. If you get top voter then you also get all of your points redeemed as required.

Best griefer name ^

optical

• Administrator
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: New System of Voting Rewards
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 10:42:24 pm »
Firstly, we should Votifier. Why?

Votifier is a Bukkit plugin whose purpose is to get notified (aka votified) when a vote is made on a Minecraft server list for the server. Votifier creates a lightweight server that waits for connections by a Minecraft server list and uses a simple protocol to get information about that vote. Votifier is and always will be open-source.

It is open source, and verifies that the vote is legit. By being open source we can modify the code to fit the server perfectly. It also listens for information about the votes from the top lists so we know the votes are legit.

Secondly, lets rework the top voter thing. Right now if you don't vote one time then your chances of being a top voter are slim if that. So I have an idea:

Everyone has a value, points, attached to their account. Points are how many votes a player has "built up." One vote (using votifier so it's legit) provides the player's forum account with one point. At any time these points may be redeemed for one diamond per point, so if I vote 100 times over many days, I will have 100 points. If I redeem that, then my minecraft account will be credited with 100 diamonds.

The top voter is based on who has the most points at the end of a month. This makes it interesting because if I forget to vote at the end of one month then I can keep my points and let them roll over to the next month where I have a good chance of winning depending on who else carried their points over as well. Now think about everyone doing this at once. This could allow everyone to have a chance at top voter each month. One catch, however. If you win top voter 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place, then you get the top voter reward for the month, BUT your points are automatically redeemed. This means if someone carries their points over for three months and gets top voter, they can't just roll them over again and get top voter over and over again until they redeem their points. If you get top voter then you also get all of your points redeemed as required.

We're looking at integrating votifier at the moment.

Your second system favours long time members too much, in my opinion. It also becomes too much of a poker game to see who is going to throw down all their saved up points to win.

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 10:46:13 pm »
Well when you look at the top 25 voters list it would show the 25 people with the most points. If you have the points then they are either redeemed or you win top voter (if you have the most points).

So then perhaps at the end of each month half of the players points are automatically redeemed no matter what?

Best griefer name ^

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 10:57:29 pm »
None of our sites we use support votifier.....

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 10:59:41 pm »
Then we switch lists. It wouldn't hurt us at all considering the fact nobody legitimately votes on the current topsites.

Best griefer name ^

RuthlessTomato

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 12:43:26 am »
I went on a server with 14 sites, all with votifier :/

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 01:14:06 am »
Or, get votifier and keep the ones we have, adding to our advert space?

RuthlessTomato

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 01:19:36 am »
why not?

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 02:21:43 am »
why not?

So long as votifier supports the sites we currently use. One thing to note is that not all sites may have the api's for accessing things like the votes.

Best griefer name ^

Wyboth

• Champion Member
  • No longer active - contact me on Reddit.
    • View Profile
    • Contact me via reddit
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 02:24:06 am »
why not?

So long as votifier supports the sites we currently use. One thing to note is that not all sites may have the api's for accessing things like the votes.
Yeah, the sites would have to ping Opticraft that the person voted, or at least save a cookie on the voter's machine, which Opticraft would detect. I don't think they currently do that.

I am inactive. Click here to send me a message that I'll actually see.

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 03:04:30 am »
Actually, I think it would be the other way around. The game server every minute or so asks the toplist for any recent votes.

Best griefer name ^

Wyboth

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Contact me via reddit
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 03:06:13 am »
Actually, I think it would be the other way around. The game server every minute or so asks the toplist for any recent votes.
I don't understand what you're saying. Could you be more specific?

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 03:08:49 am »
Well, supposedly the game server would have an api. This is basically a script that can be called by a server plugin like Votifier. Votifier calls the toplist's api function to get any recent votes, and the api function returns the data votifier wants. I think that's how it works, although I may be wrong and it's a totally different system altogether.

Best griefer name ^

Wyboth

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Contact me via reddit
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 03:15:50 am »
Well, I see minestatus.net and minecraftservers.net use votifier. Don't know about the others, but I'll check later.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 03:17:48 am by Wyboth »

optical

• Administrator
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 03:21:55 am »
Well, supposedly the game server would have an api. This is basically a script that can be called by a server plugin like Votifier. Votifier calls the toplist's api function to get any recent votes, and the api function returns the data votifier wants. I think that's how it works, although I may be wrong and it's a totally different system altogether.

The votifier implementation is the opposite - the vote site makes a callback to our service to notify us.