May 13, 2024, 07:14:13 pm

Author Topic: Votifier  (Read 1982 times)

FNVcourierjon(SigilStone)

• Champion Member
  • Vault 102 Overseer
    • View Profile
Votifier
« on: February 25, 2013, 06:03:25 pm »
We all know a lot of people don't actually "vote" and fill out the captcha, they just click vote.  I would like to suggest votifier (if it already hasn't been suggested).  I have been on servers that use that so people can't cheat the vote system. Opticraft hasn't been getting the votes it deserves, so we might as well. 

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
Re: Votifier
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 06:18:02 pm »
One issue. It doesn't seem to be open sauce (and I doubt it ever will be since then people would be able to figure out how to spoof the vote packets). This means that the server must rely on that plugin's developers to update the plugin before the server is updated. In addition, god forbid the developers decide to stop supporting their plugin and move on.

It is a popular enough plugin so it's probably safe to say that there isn't some sort of backdoor (otherwise one of the many users of that plugin would have probably posted something about votifier being backdoored).

The real issue is simply the fact that the plugin is a 3rd party closed source plugin. However, perhaps something of the sort could be coded, but Opticalza, cschurz, Nick, and anyone else here who codes are all too busy to code an Opticraft-specific plugin.

Best griefer name ^

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 06:26:32 pm »
One issue. It doesn't seem to be open sauce (and I doubt it ever will be since then people would be able to figure out how to spoof the vote packets). This means that the server must rely on that plugin's developers to update the plugin before the server is updated. In addition, god forbid the developers decide to stop supporting their plugin and move on.

It is a popular enough plugin so it's probably safe to say that there isn't some sort of backdoor (otherwise one of the many users of that plugin would have probably posted something about votifier being backdoored).

The real issue is simply the fact that the plugin is a 3rd party closed source plugin. However, perhaps something of the sort could be coded, but Opticalza, cschurz, Nick, and anyone else here who codes are all too busy to code an Opticraft-specific plugin.
I dont code java but i appreciate the thought.  :D
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

kagarium

• I'm alive, but inactive.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 08:11:26 pm »
This actually sounds like a good idea.

This means that the server must rely on that plugin's developers to update the plugin before the server is updated. In addition, god forbid the developers decide to stop supporting their plugin and move on.

From what I know Votifier is usually pretty good about updating quickly. And considering Votifier is popular and been used for an amount of time I doubt the developers would abandon it.

I have personally never heard of any kind of back door for this plugin ever. and I'm sure if there was one the developers of Votifier would fix it.

I don't belive this would require any additional coding, and if it did it's debatable wether it would be a big job. But i don't know how Opticraft is set up, so I can't really go on that.

All in all I like this idea. I don't see any problems with getting this, and I understand why it would propbally be needed.

-kag
IGN: kag1999_ (now kagarium, thanks butter)

Quote from: Nick3306
I saved 100% on car insurance by switching to no car insurance

RuthlessTomato

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 08:54:35 pm »
If the devs abandon it we just go back to what we have now.

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 12:07:44 am »
1. 3 of the 4 voting sites we have don't support votifier, as they're not Minecraft specific voting sites.
2. Votifier doesn't support offline voting.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 10:34:07 am by xDeeKay »

FNVcourierjon(SigilStone)

• Champion Member
  • Vault 102 Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 05:57:05 pm »
1. 3 of the 4 voting sites we have don't support votifier, as they're not Minecraft specific voting sites.
2. Votifier doesn't support offline voting.
Right, I remember #2 quite well