May 04, 2024, 01:02:58 pm

Author Topic: Interesting Topic of Interest  (Read 6859 times)

Zeradeth_

• "I am burdened with glorious purpose." -Loki
    • View Profile
Interesting Topic of Interest
« on: January 20, 2013, 02:10:48 am »
So hi again guys :D A wandering wonder wandered into my head, and I wondered: What is your opinion on game violence?

Allow me to clarify. Some people (concerned parents mostly) believe that violent video games lead to violent children. There have been case studies (I believe?) leading experts to believe that this is true, but I myself am not convinced. I'm wondering what your guys' take on this topic is. I don't mean for this to turn into some kind of argument (and "if you don't have nuthin' nice to say, don't say nuthin' at all" -Thumper), but I wanna know what your opinions are.

If you happen to find any nifty articles or videos on this subject, feel free to post links to 'em in replies. I'd love to read/watch them.

Let's see what happens!
-Zeradeth
Visit the Typing Test and try!

titans55

• LSU Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Topic of Interest
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 02:22:03 am »
For some people their minds are subject to imitate what they see on video games, but for some people they are smart enough to tell the difference between real life and video games.

hammysandwhich

• I once had a fear of hurdles, but I got over it.
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 02:26:00 am »
It isn't the game that has problems, it's the kid or whoever.
if you die in canada do you die in real life?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RuthlessTomato

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 03:12:52 am »
I'd rather releive my stress killing pixels than people. So i switched to Call of Duty as a stress releiver.

NathanialJones

• SMP Builder and cool guy extrodinare!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 04:32:29 am »
Well I guess I'm going to be a football star becouse of maden!
It just doesn't make sense! How many people have they found to be influenced by video games to comit murder? Also, 99% percent of those games focus on killing terrorists. Take MW3 for example, you are trying to prevent millions of lives lost.
About posts, how do you even post a post?

CazualxGrenade

• Feelin βίος
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 08:02:06 am »
Mw3... This one kid was at a shooting range with his dad teaching him how to fire a SHOTGUN. You guys know how much kick that thing has? So the kid, he said "Don't worry dad I've been practicing. Ive played MW3 for a long time. He then proceeds to shoot it, I shit you not, and it flew into his dad's (bleep). So long story short, kids thing they have potentials of using guns...
Bacon!
Message me for your random food for the day lol.

impishmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 02:56:07 pm »
I totally did research on this a while ago.... don't have time to say anything at the moment though.

DJAlphaWolf

• Former "Super Recruit"
  • Champion Member
  • Self Proclaimed Opticraft Entertainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 03:22:07 pm »
My theory is that the kid is already insane (most likely a loner in high school) or he's just plain stupid, if he can be easily affected by violent video games.

Either way, its most likely the parents' fault. Parents need to hide the guns in places where their kids can't reach them. Parents need to teach their children the danger of guns.

In most cases it usually is the parents fault. When a kid grabs a gun,  it's usually when the parents aren't around or when they are sleeping.

It's funny. Politicians, parents, the media.....they love putting the blame on everything but their own parenting.

Video games, Marilyn Manson, rap. And it would make sense. Those seem to be the primary representatives of violence, drugs and anger.

Eh...I don't know really....America is a mad world....but my belief is that it's the parents to blame.

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 03:44:31 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uwAo8lcAC4
This is mainly about the school shooting, but this basically sums up my views.

Also, MW3, or infact, any game "relieves stress" (Well, if its a good one, and possibly excluding horror games/hard puzzlers).
You don't need to shoot other random online soldiers in CoD to relieve stress, and I'm not sure why people believe that you do.

Oh, and not sure if this is mentioned in the video, but your "resilience" to horror in real life is not the same as resilience in games. This is proven.
I'm very happy to go cut somebody's head off in Skyrim, for instance, but I'd rather not in real life.
On the other hand, I'm sure a doctor who has been viewing surgeries for years (In real life) is a lot more happy to amputate someone than I would be.
Just sayin'.

CaptainXV

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 07:46:21 pm »
I think gun violence in games and in real life aren't related.
Every sane person knows the difference between what's real and what's not.

I completely agree with Dj here: bad parenting is the main reason of gun violence.
Gun violence is a common topic mainly in the usa, because it's such a big part of their culture.
In my opinion it's not normal to have something in your house that's main purpose is to hurt other living creatures.
I myself, being an ordinary european, have never even held a gun, and only have ever seen one to the side of a policeman, the only place where it's supposed to be.

If you don't consider gun's "normal", like I do, you won't feel the urge to have one.
Games don't have anything to do with this.
This topic also reminds me a bit of this interview, a common example of ignorant people: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtyKofFih8Y
The sentence beneath this one is true
The sentence above this one is false

hammysandwhich

• I once had a fear of hurdles, but I got over it.
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 10:02:54 pm »
Well it is also america's fault for allowing guns, see here in Australia, you have to have a licence, you have to pay for the licence.  That's stops all the poor crazy brogan rednecks from getting them.

See I play black ops 2 on my Xbox, my friends have matches on black ops 2 on their ps3's.  They haven't changed one bit.  It's the children and really the parents fault, see if you have brought your kid up to be normal, saying this is bad, don't do it, lots of people would be fine.

But there are some people out there, idiots, who you can't change, they breed and they make the line continue, so you'll always have problems, no country is perfect.
if you die in canada do you die in real life?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

NathanialJones

• SMP Builder and cool guy extrodinare!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 03:21:28 am »
Well when the second amendment (allowing people to bear arms) was made it was almost impossible to commit mass murder, the guns had one bullet and takes a minute to reload. It was assumed people would use it for self defense and hunting ( hunting was still very important at the time) and for most of America's history masacures were only a problem if there where a couple people. When automatic guns came out there was a bigger chance of masacures happening. But by that time a large percentage of people owned guns, making the idea of abolishing the 2nd amendment VERY controversial and as you might know congress has a hard enough time deciding NON-contreversal topics. And that is why guns are legal in the US of A
About posts, how do you even post a post?

impishmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 05:14:18 am »
Alright,

So if anyone wants to take the time to read this, I think it had some really good points while being careful not to point fingers at anyone or declare that violent video games are at fault... http://www.video-game-addiction.org/violence.html

Well I agree that it is mainly people that are the cause of violent acts, I really think video games don't help the cause. While some might argue that violent video games are to serve as an outlet for aggressive behavior so that it's not being displayed in real life, others might say it only paints the idea that violent characters are to be perceived as heroes.

I read somewhere that "You become what you behold." It's a statement that ultimately says, if you put something up on a pedestal, whether you hate it or love it, you will become twisted by it and reflect it in your life.

For example: A child who spends so much time hating his father for hitting his mom and siblings grows up and one day practices the same abuse he hated so violently, years before. (hate) Two friends that spend all their time together, tell each other everything, make decisions together, find the same things funny, liking the same person. Any outsider would say, "Those two are exactly alike." (love)

Bad example... Anyone hear of the story of The Old Man of the Mountain, and some guy researched it or something... and because he spent so many years focused on this outline of a man's face in the mountain, his face began to look the same? I couldn't find a link to it.. lol

I guess what I'm trying to say is: The stuff you spend all your time thinking about, has the ability to consume you, and change you. The stuff you set your values on, has the ability to become a big part of who you are.

In that sense, if people play violent games/watch violent movies it has the ability to make them more or less, okay with violent acts in real life. I don't think that the recent events were cause solely by violent games though. (just to be clear)

Here's a few more articles I found... >.> Cuz I likes researching shtuffs :3 http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/09/lets-talk-about-violent-video-games
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1985999,00.html
http://cognoscenti.wbur.org/2013/01/17/video-games-ethan-gilsdorf

I'm done for now >.> This turned into a book... LOL
(click to show/hide)

kagarium

• I'm alive, but inactive.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 05:17:58 am »
all I'm going to say is:
it's not the fault of the game or the person; it's how the person reacts to the game
IGN: kag1999_ (now kagarium, thanks butter)

Quote from: Nick3306
I saved 100% on car insurance by switching to no car insurance

Dalei

• Somewhere far away
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 05:42:33 pm »
I agree with almost all of you. My dad has guns, and he taught me the dangers of guns and he keeps his firearms in a safe where noone but mom and dad can access it.
-Dale