May 05, 2024, 10:14:11 pm

Author Topic: increase mob culling limit when a player is in range?  (Read 1517 times)

tiggy26668

• View Profile
increase mob culling limit when a player is in range?
« on: October 18, 2012, 03:08:02 pm »
So i was sitting at my sheep farm the other night trying to get some wool while my sheep slowly vanished. After getting 1 1/2 stacks in the same time i used to get 2 double chests full this thought dawned on me.

Why not increase the limit of maximum allowed mobs in an area when a player is within range of them, ex: gathering wool?

This "shouldn't" be all to difficult to implement and would require very little coding.

something like, if player is within 5-7 blocks then mobLimit = 10

It would allow a player such as myself to increase the size of my sheep herd, farm the wool i need, and after i leave the extra mobs would just get removed.

there would still be a limit on the maximum number of mobs to prevent someone from stacking 150 villagers on a block, or afking at an autofarm over night, so the problematic lag would still be prevented

but it would make farming large quantities of wool/leather/eggs and things of that nature more feasible for people such as myself who require it because it's just not efficient to claim a giant 100x100 space on the server for each color of sheep i need.....

Just thought i'd throw it out there so let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 03:10:54 pm by tiggy26668 »
I'm Much more smarter admin than whoever banned me.

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: increase mob culling limit when a player is in range?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 03:59:42 pm »
If there were a 5-7 block extender and you increased the number of animals, it wouldn't make a difference because you could only fit a certain amount of sheep in that area before they despawned like usual.

That's just what I think anyway.

tiggy26668

• View Profile
Re: increase mob culling limit when a player is in range?
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 04:56:05 pm »
If there were a 5-7 block extender and you increased the number of animals, it wouldn't make a difference because you could only fit a certain amount of sheep in that area before they despawned like usual.

That's just what I think anyway.

well a 5-7 block radius around the player is what i figured the average size of a pen would be like a 10x10 or 14x14 rectangle

point is at the moment i can't get more than 8 sheep in that large of a space and to farm wool efficiently where after shearing the last sheep another one has eaten grass and regained his wool u need about 20-25 to get a semi constant farm rate, im not trying to stuff 100 sheep in the pen, just enough to keep shearing till my bags are full, which really isn't all that big of a request, otherwise im sitting there for an hour and a half for not even 2 stacks of wool. it makes building something like a dragon statue quite tedius and time consuming (more so than it already is)

since a 10x10 area is 100 blocks if it were 1 sheep per block, im only asking for 1/5 to 1/4 of the space worth of sheep, and that really isn't a lot. not to mention after farming/leaving they would just die off anyway since it would default back to 4? max in a 4x4? space.

i suppose the real issue is that the ai on sheep sucks and they like to huddle together and get removed by the plugin.
I'm Much more smarter admin than whoever banned me.