May 05, 2024, 11:39:53 am

Author Topic: Laptops  (Read 3170 times)

LordoftheBlock

• All your block are belong to me!
    • View Profile
Laptops
« on: October 02, 2012, 03:52:11 am »
Hey guys, this isn't a forum game or anything, just looking for some feedback and advice on laptops. I'm looking for a good looking, decent specs, portable, customizable laptop. Right now I'm pretty set in the Alienware M14x. But, because I value all of your opinions, I was just wondering what you thought of Alienware and other similar/better laptops you might know about. Looking around the $1000 price range. Thanks for the feedback!
Picture of the m14x:

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Laptops
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 04:22:31 am »
I as well as many others could go on for hours about computer specs and what not.
But I suggest watching reviews on certain laptops to see what people think of them. This way you're getting an opinion from someone that actually has the system.
Also, make sure you read the comments on the videos too, because sometimes videos don't always speak the truth.

LordoftheBlock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 04:24:26 am »
I as well as many others could go on for hours about computer specs and what not.
But I suggest watching reviews on certain laptops to see what people think of them. This way you're getting an opinion from someone that actually has the system.
Also, make sure you read the comments on the videos too, because sometimes videos don't always speak the truth.

I have been doing quite the extensive research on that model, hours on YouTube, forums, etc. Looks like its a good choice, IMO.

Terrewee

• The Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 04:57:44 am »
i bought a lenovo m580-m81dfmhrecently, i love the thing, good stats, nice screen, smart pad. it only doesn't look nice (the word Lenovo all over the place), that's why i have ordered a custom sticker :P
only cost me like 730 euros all together. :D
(btw i use it for school so don't expect me to play mc on it, ofc i will at some point :P)

(click to show/hide)
Touhou~

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 07:28:59 am »
I use this laptop
It can run just about anything I want to do in a laptop (Work, YouTube and Minecraft (What I play it on) + it has a mic). I would recommend getting a decent desktop for proper games. But idk, that's just what I do.

raul7legend

• Israeli Operator
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 08:04:40 am »
As a person who had a laptop for gaming, I feel so relieved that I switched to a PC. It may be fun at first, but laptops are really prone to crashing and mine would overheat and crash quite often (around 7-10 times a day). My suggestion is getting a PC, it may take up space but sooner or later you will be thankful about having it.

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 10:37:07 am »
As a person who had a laptop for gaming, I feel so relieved that I switched to a PC. It may be fun at first, but laptops are really prone to crashing and mine would overheat and crash quite often (around 7-10 times a day). My suggestion is getting a PC, it may take up space but sooner or later you will be thankful about having it.
Agreed. Although some laptops have nice looking specs, they're so small and compact that you'll find them spitting flames even when playing games like Minecraft. Even laptops like Alienware that are chunky and crammed with fans will overheat.

Alienware laptops may be good 'on-the-go' gaming systems, but if you find yourself stationary most of the time, like Raul said you may as well spend the extra money on a desktop.

That's just my opinion, but if you really want a laptop then go for it. But just beware ;)

NatanylJames (N8MATTHEWS)

• The Koreannn
  • [Founder of Marine City]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 10:45:21 am »
Agreed. Although some laptops have nice looking specs, they're so small and compact that you'll find them spitting flames even when playing games like Minecraft. Even laptops like Alienware that are chunky and crammed with fans will overheat.

Alienware laptops may be good 'on-the-go' gaming systems, but if you find yourself stationary most of the time, like Raul said you may as well spend the extra money on a desktop.

That's just my opinion, but if you really want a laptop then go for it. But just beware ;)

Im telling you lord, get the vizio all in one 24" great pc for $999
Tech Specs
Processor
Model:   Intel® Core™
Processor Manufacturer:   Intel®
Processor Model:   i7-3610QM
Processor Speed:   2.3GHz

Operating System
Windows® 7 Home Premium

Memory
Memory (RAM):   8GB
Memory Frequency (1066, 1333 MHZ):   Up to 1600MHz
Memory Type (DDR2 / DDR3):   DDR3
Memory Slots (Total):   2

Display
Display Type (LCD/LED):   LED
Full HD Display (1080P or greater):   Yes
Display Resolution:   1920x1080
Display Size:   27"

Graphics
Graphics Manufacturer (Primary Card):   NVIDIA®
Graphics Memory Shared / Size (Primary Card):   1GB
Graphics Model (Primary Card):   NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640M LE

Disk
Hard Drive Size:   1TB†
Hard Drive Speed:   5400rpm
Hard Drive Type (SATA / SSD):   SATA
Additional Hard Drive:   32GB SSD*

Networking
Bluetooth:   Yes
Wireless:   802.11n Dual-Band

Ports
eSATA Port:   1
HDMI Input:   2
3.5mm Headphone/Mic:   1
RJ 45 (Gigabit Ethernet):   1
USB 3.0:   4

Others
Audio:   Integrated/External Sub
Speakers:   2 x 2.5W Speaker with 6W External Subwoofer
Memory Card Reader:   SD
Yes, 1.3 MegaPixels (up to 720p):   Yes

Misc. Features
TPM Chip:   On Board
Built in Web Cam:   Yes, 1.3 MegaPixels (up to 720p)
Color:   Silver

Dimensions and Weights
Description   Weight (lbs.)   L x W x H (inches)
Screen + Base   16.6 lbs.   25.98” x 9.06” x 20.20”
Remote   0.13 lbs.   1.93” x 0.75” x 4.92”
Keyboard   1.06 lbs.   11.95” x 4.94” x 0.74”
Touchpad   0.44 lbs.   5.08” x 4.96” x 0.69”
Subwoofer   2.99 lbs.   5.91” x 4.45” x 5.91”
Subwoofer Power Cord   0.31 lbs.   N/A
Subwoofer Power Cord Extension   0.23 lbs.   N/A
Total Unit (without packaging)   27.82 lbs.   N/A
Total Unit (with packaging)   31 lbs.   29.20” x 12.4” x 25.4”

† The HDD capacity on VIZIO computers may appear to be smaller than the size stated in the product specifications, documentation or on the packaging. This is because manufacturers describe and advertise HDD space in terms of decimal capacity, a base of powers of 10. For example, one Gigabyte (GB) means 109 = 1,000,000,000 bytes. However, Microsoft® Windows and other operating systems and programs report storage capacity using powers of two. Thus, 1 GB = 230 = 1,073,741,824 bytes, and shows less storage space. Smaller capacity may also be reported by the Windows Explorer tool based on information about only one partition of the HDD at a time, with free space reduced by a hidden service or system recovery partition. Available storage capacity will also be less if the computer includes one or more pre-installed operating systems, pre-installed software applications or media content. The storage capacity of the HDD is as advertised but the actual formatted capacity may vary.

* Used to cache OS and frequently used files for speed boost. SSD does not add to storage capacity.
I'm Back BABY!

LordoftheBlock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 12:05:03 pm »
Hey thanks for all the feedback guys. I do already have a desktop at home, I was just wanting a laptop to bring to school to use for work and game, because they don't have very good computers. I also travel quite a bit, so I was lookin at something for those long car rides. Bit yea, I do most of my heavy gaming on my desktop.

ninjaflame555

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 02:23:32 am »
As some of you may know my cousin, zombieheadshot09, his birthday was recently and he got alot of money. he has the options of getting m17x or m14x. i dont know why but he is going to get m14x so lordoftheblock, i think m14x