May 15, 2024, 07:12:06 am

Author Topic: Tekkit Server  (Read 13520 times)

NatanylJames (N8MATTHEWS)

• The Koreannn
  • [Founder of Marine City]
    • View Profile
Tekkit Server
« on: September 30, 2012, 08:18:02 pm »
i really like tekkit and im sure alot of others do too. Now im not saying turn this exact server into a tekkit server but i would like to see opticraft have a tekkit server. I haven't been able to find a tekkit server that i like and really want to play on one since playing tekkit by yourself isn't really fun. Opticraft has one of the best cummunities out there and has very good decision making which could lead to a good tekkit server. I know this idea will probably be shot down but i just thought it was cool.
I'm Back BABY!

Mr_Mr_Mr

• Veteran
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tekkit Server
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 08:19:22 pm »
Tekkit is fun, don't get me wrong, but I don't think we should make a tekkit server.

---><--- Click the monkey

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 09:25:49 pm »
I think Tekkit would be amazing. The only problem I can see is ops/admins being a bit too... controlling.
If a Tekkit server is made, I think it would be best if only a few items were banned.

I'm talking about the advanced armours, the RM tools etc.

If that is considered too dangerous, perhaps whitelist and allow only trusted+ or some other sort of whitelisting/screening process to prevent it turning into a Minecraft + a few more items, or "Everyone nuke everthing!" server.

There is a triangle between being too exclusive, too controlling and too griefable, which needs to either be balanced, or just say "screw it", and only allow a certain group of players who are well known and trusted throughout the community.

There would also be an issue of staffing, if this does happen. I would suggest a new group of players (In the same way Classic and SMP are different, even if there are overlaps). Making mods+ also staff on Tekkit, would cause several problems, the first being that there would be nearly no staff on the vanilla server.

TL;DR
I would like a tekkit server, it just needs to be done in the right way.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 09:42:06 pm »
Even if we wanted to do this, we dont have the manpower.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

FNVcourierjon(SigilStone)

• Champion Member
  • Vault 102 Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 09:45:57 pm »
Yeah, I would like it if we had a tekkit server.  It could work out well. :D

NatanylJames (N8MATTHEWS)

• The Koreannn
  • [Founder of Marine City]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 09:59:43 pm »
I think Tekkit would be amazing. The only problem I can see is ops/admins being a bit too... controlling.
If a Tekkit server is made, I think it would be best if only a few items were banned.

I'm talking about the advanced armours, the RM tools etc.

If that is considered too dangerous, perhaps whitelist and allow only trusted+ or some other sort of whitelisting/screening process to prevent it turning into a Minecraft + a few more items, or "Everyone nuke everthing!" server.

There is a triangle between being too exclusive, too controlling and too griefable, which needs to either be balanced, or just say "screw it", and only allow a certain group of players who are well known and trusted throughout the community.

There would also be an issue of staffing, if this does happen. I would suggest a new group of players (In the same way Classic and SMP are different, even if there are overlaps). Making mods+ also staff on Tekkit, would cause several problems, the first being that there would be nearly no staff on the vanilla server.

TL;DR
I would like a tekkit server, it just needs to be done in the right way.

That's why i think opticraft would be good for this. Alot of servers are to controlling or dont have enough control, and with opticraft i can see that optical and nick take thier time to make the right decisions, and dont jump to conclusions. Thats why i think they would be good at this.

By anpower what do  you mean? Like people to control it? Like mods and Admins nessisary to run it?
I'm Back BABY!

Alec2435

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 02:05:04 am »
I think he means equipment and server power for a tekkit server. It uses twice the ram and procesing power.

Morrison1996

• I am the spawn of 2 worlds. I AM SlenderBrine.
  • Former moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 02:46:17 am »
That and we don't have enough man power like nick said. You guys already complain about us not having mods on at certain times. Think if there was tekkit we would need the mods to moderate both and then there would be less on the SMP.

iGenerator

• Super Trusted
  • Champion Member
  • Mayor of Rosenberg
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 03:54:13 am »
it would have to be a very different Renoir than most know so it could be easier to moderate
Major Igenerator
City Planner for Stuttgart

DP

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 07:50:11 am »
Well. Get donating.

hennydeez

• aka Henz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 08:09:19 am »
As well as LogBlock ignores or doesn't support most of the materials that are used in Tekkit, so it be hard for us to moderate the server.

Quote from: Minecraft Forum
Running a Tekkit server is much more involved than a vanilla server. Disabling Equivanlent Exchange is a good start (as it adds lots of destructive items, as well as being overpowered) and I believe RP2 is getting a lot of changes to make it work better with Bukkit.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 08:14:34 am by BigBadHenz »

bigbeno37

• We are all born with a purpose in life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 08:26:18 am »
As well as LogBlock ignores or doesn't support most of the materials that are used in Tekkit, so it be hard for us to moderate the server.

Running a Tekkit server is much more involved than a vanilla server. Disabling Equivanlent Exchange is a good start (as it adds lots of destructive items, as well as being overpowered) and I believe RP2 is getting a lot of changes to make it work better with Bukkit.

Yes, this is indeed the case with Tekkit. Unless Optical and his dev team spent countless hours adding ALL the blocks to LogBlock, the server would HAVE to been under constant moderation, and any griefings would probably not be able to be fixed. However, if the server was to, as ClawStrider said:

Turn into a server with Trusted+ only on it, then griefing could be more or less prevented to an extent.

"We are all born on this planet with a purpose in life," This quote keeps me going during the day, always trying to find that answer.

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 08:29:59 am »
Or just as a trial, we could have a $5 entry fee for those that really want to get on.
This way the server is pretty much 99.9% grief free.
The fee money could go towards running the server etc. It could have something like 20 player slots, nothing too fancy.

But I'm just talking rubbish now, I don't think we'll be getting a Tekkit server.

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 08:33:08 am »

I would disagree. Yes, draft a few people in from SMP, but I think, if we keep the server fairly small, there are many new people who "could" be mods, and we would also get new players to reinforce that.

I think he means equipment and server power for a tekkit server. It uses twice the ram and procesing power.

I don't think so, he would have said server power or whatever if that was the issue.

Well. Get donating.

Could we have some sort of "Donate for Tekkit" fund? Is that possible? As in a way to say "I want this donation to go towards the purchase of a Tekkit server".

No.
This is exactly what I was saying about being too controlling. 1. I've played on many servers who have antigrief on Tekkit. I'm sure Opticraft will cope somehow.

And removing one of, if not the, biggest mod in Tekkit? and definitly the most fun. No thanks.

Or just as a trial, we could have a $5 entry fee for those that really want to get on.
This way the server is pretty much 99.9% grief free.
The fee money could go towards running the server etc. It could have something like 20 player slots, nothing too fancy.

But I'm just talking rubbish now, I don't think we'll be getting a Tekkit server.

This idea is awesome.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 08:34:50 am by clawstrider »

bhoughton

• The names Bee
  • Whatcho Talkin bout?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 08:51:14 am »
To be honest in this, I wouldn't mind having a tekkit server for a couple reasons

1) It'll defiantly make opticraft unique, cause I've played on a few tekkit servers and they're laggy as hell! If we have a tekkit server (lag free) I'm sure that we'll be able to pull a lot more new guests and members into the community.

2) It'll give players a new experiences in game.

However, the downside will be that less members/guests (or what ever you want to say) will be on vanilla, and that's the sole purpose of opticraft, is to keep the most vanilla server without ruining the fun enjoyable experience that players have.
I've watched a few tekkit videos on youtube and I've noticed a few key things, they WILL have they positives and negatives. One of the main things is going to be quarries. Sure they mine minerals and stuff, but if this server were to be opened to the general public people are going to grief the shit out of everything. Another problem we're going to face is the mining robots, they break through blocks and can cause a fair bit of dammage if not controlled properly.

So in conclusion a lot of things are going to be removed. The things that are going to be removed will cause an uproar in the community; "Why isn't there quarries" "How come I cant use my mining laser" "why is it saying 'you're not allowed to craft this item' why?"

Like the basic things about tekkit will have to be thought upon. Another case being jetpacks! Yes they're fun and all but this gives players the opportunity to sneak into other players homes and grief.

I could go on and on about the pros and cons about tekkit servers.
Quit swinging your dick around before I put a formal end to it.

fuck notch, yo