May 16, 2024, 05:43:47 pm

Author Topic: Thinking about making a PvP post? Read this.  (Read 37622 times)

Holy_Moses

• Operator
  • I'm still here
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about making a PvP post? Read this.
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2013, 03:16:30 pm »
One of my cousins servers use to have a /pvp command that would let you toggle wether pvp was on or off for a player. Obviously both players would have to have pvp enabled for one to kill another. If one had pvp enabled and was say afk and another player walked up to him with pvp disabled, no damage would be dealt upon attacking unless the attacker had pvp enabled.

If there were to be set zones for pvp (arenas) the /pvp command would be inaccessable (that a word?) for players and pvp would be immediately toggled on for players who went to the warp/arena. Players who would try to "combat log" to their home while in the arena would have to wait 5 seconds before the /home or /warp was "ready".
IG - @oem_moses

tiggy26668

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2013, 04:27:00 pm »
Chief you're over complicating things, you can assign regions a priority with world guard ie: higher priority overrides lower priority

And while there is a few plugins that could interfear with this... They typically aren't defaulted to do so, so unless they've been previously set up in a manor that they have control over some aspect of pvp I highly doubt it's a complicated issue of plugins interfereing with each other

More likely than not is an issue with the server pvp property being set to false or a conflict of inherited flags within world guard itself

So like I've already said, the first thing to try would be:
1)Set server properties pvp to true (need opti to check this one)
2)set world guard global flag to false (/region flag__global__pvp deny)
3)set region flag to allow pvp (/region flag <name> pvp allow)
4)just for good measure set the new regions priority higher than global (default is 0) so (/region setpriority <name> -w <worldname> 1)

When we can confirm that pvp is indeed enabled and the region is set up properly and if its still not working properly then we should worry about conflicting plugins and alternative solutions...

I'll pm opti about checking the properties n ask him for his 2 cents on the issue, though tbh would prolly get a better reply if one of u staffers asked him as opposed to the random trusted....
I'm Much more smarter admin than whoever banned me.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2013, 10:09:48 pm »
I really don't want pvp like this on the server tbh.

BTW tiggy, using those global flags we would also need to zone entire worlds in order to even use worldguard flags. For example if i entered the command "/region flag__global__pvp deny" right now I would get a param error because "flag__global__pvp" is not a region.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

tiggy26668

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2013, 01:20:43 am »

BTW tiggy, using those global flags we would also need to zone entire worlds in order to even use worldguard flags. For example if i entered the command "/region flag__global__pvp deny" right now I would get a param error because "flag__global__pvp" is not a region.

Flags have default values. For example, what if you're in an area where there's no region or no defined region has that flag set? WorldGuard checks the "global region" in that case, and if it's not there, it then checks its built-in value (for example, PvP is enabled by default).
http://wiki.sk89q.com/wiki/WorldGuard/Regions/Introduction#Global_region

did you type it with double underscores or single? cuz it matters....
and my typing apparently was fail cuz it's /region flag __global__ pvp deny (there's spaces on the ends of __global__ now)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 01:24:54 am by tiggy26668 »

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2013, 01:28:04 am »

Flags have default values. For example, what if you're in an area where there's no region or no defined region has that flag set? WorldGuard checks the "global region" in that case, and if it's not there, it then checks its built-in value (for example, PvP is enabled by default).
Ya you had no space between the __ and pvp lol.
http://wiki.sk89q.com/wiki/WorldGuard/Regions/Introduction#Global_region

did you type it with double underscores or single? cuz it matters....
and my typing apparently was fail cuz it's /region flag __global__ pvp deny (there's spaces on the ends of __global__ now)

tiggy26668

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2013, 12:00:59 pm »
*update*

Opti turned on pvp in the properties and disabled worldguards global pvp flag for us so we should be able to test allowing pvp in a specific region now.

so nick if you feel like testing it out wen you got some time that'd b awesome  :D

And if it doesn't work with allowing it in a region and giving that region a higher priority then chances are its another plugin conflicting.

Ps: even if this works it's still up to the staff whether or not to implement it (but it would b nice)

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2013, 03:39:09 pm »
I think I saw a death message in chat a day or two ago that said DJ was slain by Nick. Maybe it works?

If this gets fully implemented, I could see myself setting up a "fight to the death" pvp arena XD OMG I gotta get my other shit finished first lol! I like this!

Best griefer name ^

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2013, 03:42:26 pm »
I think I saw a death message in chat a day or two ago that said DJ was slain by Nick. Maybe it works?

If this gets fully implemented, I could see myself setting up a "fight to the death" pvp arena XD OMG I gotta get my other shit finished first lol! I like this!
I had to spend this morning fixing the worlds because tiggy asked opti to enable pvp and it set all the global pvp flags on the server to allow. Keep in mind, even though this happened, I still have no plans to make any sort of pvp world or arena.

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2013, 04:41:49 pm »
But if we were able to create a PS region using one of our own ores, and set the PVP flag to true for our own region (the flag would hopefully be set to false by default), then I could make my own PVP arena and host epic PVP battles for prizes.

That's why I am kind of into the idea of PVP enabled regions being possible, such as a PVP flag being used with Precious Stones.

Best griefer name ^

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2013, 04:50:37 pm »
But if we were able to create a PS region using one of our own ores, and set the PVP flag to true for our own region (the flag would hopefully be set to false by default), then I could make my own PVP arena and host epic PVP battles for prizes.

That's why I am kind of into the idea of PVP enabled regions being possible, such as a PVP flag being used with Precious Stones.
Wont happen, too much potential for killing other players.

Zeradeth_

• "I am burdened with glorious purpose." -Loki
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2013, 05:07:47 pm »
Personally, I think it is a terrible idea to add pvp to Opticraft. Granted, I'm biased since I hate pvp servers because I always get killed -_- ,but it genuinely seems like a bad idea to me. I'm thinking mainly about the moderator's jobs. We'll be bogged down with tickets and complaints about people cheating and the likes. Even if there are rules and signs posted specifically saying that we will not recover lost items or punish those who kill you in pvp areas, there will still be people insisting that we 'do our jobs' and bring their stuff back. It just seems like a bad idea...and most of our current users--myself included--wanted to come on Opticraft because there was no pvp. In the parameters I set when I was looking for a server, I specifically put 'no pvp.' Pretty sure others would agree....
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Holy_Moses

• Operator
  • I'm still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2013, 05:10:51 pm »

Wont happen, too much potential for killing other players.
What if the ps's pvp flag could only be toggled on/off by staff after seeing the PS covers a player-made arena?

I'm not too keen on the server having pvp enabled either. doesnt seem too opticraft-like
IG - @oem_moses

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2013, 05:17:18 pm »
I want PvP, but not a world guarded half-assed job it.

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2013, 06:03:15 pm »
I would also like a pvp area :P I really think that if the majority of the server wants something, then it should be considered. And the decision made by more than one person.

tiggy26668

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2013, 06:14:53 pm »
I want PvP, but not a world guarded half-assed job it.

I agree, I'd much prefer a well coded pvp system with no lost items and neat little arena worlds that spawn on demand and maybe some kinda ranking system or whatever.... But opti and dej are understandably busy and it'll be a while if at all before that happens, so a little pvp in the meantime would b cool

@people wanting their own pvp regions.... Don't hold your breath that's just death traps waiting to happen and will never be allowed.

The whole point of testing this was half to see if it was a small issue blocking pvp or 20 conflicting plugins, turns out it was a small issue.

The other half is maybe talking nick into adding one region where pvp is possible or possibly having a pvp event at some point/time (war of opticraft perhaps?)

So the final decision of what to do with the potential here is on the admins, I just wanted to solve the problem of why it wasn't working :P