May 12, 2024, 11:52:15 am

Author Topic: Voting Site - Xtremetop100.com warning  (Read 5141 times)

FNVcourierjon(SigilStone)

• Champion Member
  • Vault 102 Overseer
    • View Profile
Voting Site - Xtremetop100.com warning
« on: July 10, 2012, 06:47:15 pm »
This is what appeared when I tried to vote today:

Warning: Something's Not Right Here!
www.opticraft.net contains content from www.xtremetop100.com, a site known to distribute malware. Your computer might catch a virus if you visit this site.
Google has found malicious software may be installed onto your computer if you proceed. If you've visited this site in the past or you trust this site, it's possible that it has just recently been compromised by a hacker. You should not proceed, and perhaps try again tomorrow or go somewhere else.
We have already notified www.xtremetop100.com that we found malware on the site. For more about the problems found on www.xtremetop100.com, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page.

If you understand that visiting this site may harm your computer, proceed anyway.

ScottishChamp

• Only Scottish Moderator?
    • View Profile
Re: Voting Site - Xtremetop100.com warning
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 07:00:03 pm »
Yes its a virus its for anything there is nothing we can do  :-\

bhoughton

• The names Bee
  • Whatcho Talkin bout?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 11:41:53 pm »
That's why I play, vote and visit forums on my Mac ;) no viruses
Quit swinging your dick around before I put a formal end to it.

fuck notch, yo

Nyssa

• dedlymagik
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 12:51:19 am »
One of their adverts might have been compromised or something along those lines, just wait until Google says it's all clear again.

iGenerator

• Super Trusted
  • Champion Member
  • Mayor of Rosenberg
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 07:15:28 am »
shit... when did this happen?
Major Igenerator
City Planner for Stuttgart

DP

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 07:17:49 am »

Actually there are no virus scanners for mac. Therefore you most likely have many viruses, but because there is no code to scan for malaware, there is no way of knowing it's there. Therefore you as well as anyone else with a mac has most likely managed to become infected with a horde of viruses.

Best griefer name ^

FNVcourierjon(SigilStone)

• Champion Member
  • Vault 102 Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 12:55:11 pm »
iGenerator, yesterday.  Bhoughton, just because you have a Mac doesn't mean you don't have viruses.  Luckily,  I don't get viruses because of Charter Security Suite.

ogMolton

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 06:06:03 pm »
Windows is a much more open system than freedom hating MAC os's, so you likely are a little safer since you gave up your freedom, hopefully the mac os restricts viruses as much as it restricts the users.

That aside, i use linux which is probably attacked a lot less than Windows, and it's free, and I believe a lot of the same geniuses that write the various exploits that trolls use to create malicious programs apply that knowledge to linux because it is a free and open system.

Victor1261

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 07:34:26 pm »
I'm guessing you guys didn't get the news about the Obama administration screwing up did you?  :P They made a counter-virus to counter viruses from different countries. But now that that virus is already gone, this virus now kind of becomes a virus. In fact, the virus from the other countries was already eliminated BEFORE the timed release but they didn't know. So, the virus that they made released on the date that was pre-assigned. Most server hosts had already put in counter-measures, and anti-virus already updated, but Mac's don't have anti-virus, and some server hosts didn't. Apparently, Xtremetop100.com's server host didn't do that. I wouldn't advise voting until Google (thank god for them) gives the "All Clear". Just my advice.
-Victor1261

ogMolton

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 08:27:36 pm »
I went and voted today, there was no google advisory anymore.  

Things are getting scary on the internets for sure, what ever happened to that ACTA crap that was going to be done behind closed doors after the publicly talked about SOPA recieved huge resistance from the public?  What a bunch of crap, it's like "oh, people aren't dumb enough to like this?  Lets just make it so they don't know about it."  

And what about this Windows 8 UEFI bullsh*t to restrict freedom on non-mac computers.  I got an amazing deal on an acer laptop recently and I was wondering "what is wrong with this laptop" considering the deal i got, I'll tell you whats wrong with it, the bios on this thing absolutely refuses to use anything but uefi, i spent a week doing anything i could think of to get the computer to boot with the hard drive in the old fashioned Master boot record system.  I never got it working right, but I did get it to dual boot from the uefi interface, the problem now is in windows or ubuntu, the computer cannot restart or shut itself down, I have to hold in the power button to get it to shutdown everytime, but the windows 7 that came with the pc did shutdown properly, it's almost as if they tried to make it "our way or nothing" with this laptop, scary stuff if you ask me.  (and no there are no drivers or windows/ ubuntu workarounds for this that I am aware of, i looked for a while during that week)

people say that in the future, they are going to enable a "secure boot" feature, if this feature is unable to be deactivated like the uefi boot on my laptop's bios, we'll have to get a mod chip for our pc's to run anything but a freshly purchased copy of windows 8, maybe they wont even let us install os's anymore.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 08:32:38 pm by ogMolton »

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 08:43:54 pm »
That's why I love Google Chrome...

I clicked on the Opticraft vote page, gave me the warning, continued.  Clicked the VOTE button on the XTremetop100 link, and Google stopped me.  That said, because I CLICKED the vote button my second home is still available.

As for Mac vs PC, I have a PC with absolutely NO anti-virus/spyware garbage on it, and I get absolutely no viruses/spyware.  It's called safe browsing and knowing what you're doing.
"I griefed because my dog sat on my mouse and farted!"
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

Dark Knight eh?.... I'M BATMAN!!!  ;)

iGenerator

• Super Trusted
  • Champion Member
  • Mayor of Rosenberg
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 08:53:41 pm »
Ran a scan before and after voting, im safe.
Major Igenerator
City Planner for Stuttgart

DP

bobbarkee

• What i do all day everyday!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 10:24:01 am »
sadly macs have viruses too.

Xeadin

• Board Gamer
  • Champion Member
  • dip dip dip dip dip
    • View Profile
    • @Xeadin
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 05:11:37 pm »
Apparently this issue has been looked into and has been taken care of. I'd still be careful though and do NOT click on any other links in the XTremeTop100 website.

gavin1928374655

• Sexy Mermaid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 10:32:15 pm »
Vote on a mobile device if you have trouble again. Most viruses are made for computers running windows. Macs get viruses too, dont be so cocky. My friend was cocky and he ended up getting a virus on his mac.