May 19, 2024, 02:45:58 pm

Author Topic: Melon and pumpkin discussion  (Read 79326 times)

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
Re: Melon and pumpkin discussion
« Reply #210 on: July 05, 2012, 01:07:21 am »
Well first off, I think it's been proven that the farms are not the cause of lag being as the lag spikes are about the same, and sometimes much worse, than they were prior to the removal of the items from market.

As for the economy, it is a bit of a ripoff, but now that we know the farms aren't the problem with lag, melons and pumpkins could be reintroduced when everyone slowly becomes poor which will eventually happen. Not overnight, but perhaps when the Holidays come around, or maybe the beginning of 2013... if the Mayans don't kill us......

Best griefer name ^

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 05, 2012, 01:33:01 am »
Well first off, I think it's been proven that the farms are not the cause of lag being as the lag spikes are about the same, and sometimes much worse, than they were prior to the removal of the items from market.

As for the economy, it is a bit of a ripoff, but now that we know the farms aren't the problem with lag, melons and pumpkins could be reintroduced when everyone slowly becomes poor which will eventually happen. Not overnight, but perhaps when the Holidays come around, or maybe the beginning of 2013... if the Mayans don't kill us......
I would love to see the data you have collected on the lag from the server over the past few weeks.

As our developer previously explained, lag spikes are not cause by the melon farms, but ever since we took out melons and pumpkins our tickrate has almost doubled.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 01:42:27 am by Nick3306 »
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 05, 2012, 02:27:36 pm »
Also whats with everyone thinking there arent enough ores?? and thinking the server will be ugly because people mine? Mining in Minecraft!?!? OMG there goes the pretty world!!! wait.... so you think itll ruin the world? This is the guest world, been online quite a while, funny how unpopulated and loaded with ores it is. I can mine in old guest mineshafts and STILL find ore, Your arguments about mining in minecraft are quite invalid haha. Taking out these farms means people will be a little less lazy and the server will be in better shape for it. Forget about your farm and go mine

Kascas

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 05, 2012, 04:47:15 pm »
Well first off, I think it's been proven that the farms are not the cause of lag being as the lag spikes are about the same,
I would love to see the data you have collected on the lag from the server over the past few weeks.
+1
Also, who says the farms are removed? mine is stil there up and running, and most likely alot others stil have them
i dont think you could make an accurate test based on this state
OPTI!
(click to show/hide)
Need Water?
(click to show/hide)
LIGHT MY PORTAL!
(click to show/hide)
Boats
(click to show/hide)

NotABronie

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 05, 2012, 04:56:45 pm »

As our developer previously explained, lag spikes are not cause by the melon farms, but ever since we took out melons and pumpkins our tickrate has almost doubled.

What is a tick rate?
Sincerely,
NotABronie
(click to show/hide)
Quote from: CaveJohnson
We're not banging rocks together here, we know how to put a body back together :D

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 05, 2012, 04:58:10 pm »
I don't even have a pumpkin farm nor a melon farm, so don't think that my arguments are due to my need to be able to use my "farm" because I don't have one nor do I have access to one.

Now in the past prior to the farms becoming useless, people didn't have to mine for money. Only for resources to build whatever for the most part. Now everyone has to mine to earn money since it appears that anything grow-able will be removed from the market at some point. So now you have all of the players concentrating on mining. The really dedicated ones who managed to build these huge farms are now dedicated to strip mining. If such large farms could be accomplished so fast, then think about how fast the majority of the underground could be depleted of resources. Plus say there's a way to reset the underground portion of the map, it's not going to be perfect, and any players who have underground homes and mob spawner traps, and of course slime farms which take a while to carve out until finding a slime chunk are all going to be reset as well. Normally such a thing wouldn't be necessary because people weren't mining to earn money, but only mining for resources to build stuff. Basically this is my prediction:

Melons and pumpkins removed. Farms rendered useless.

Cactus farms pop up

Cactus removed from market. Cactus farms rendered useless.

Sugarcane farms pop up.

Sugarcane removed from market rendering farms useless.

Now people will be forced to mine resources for money. Everyone who once owned a farm of some sort will be mining the ground away, and with the additional many people doing this, the ground underneath could easily be mined away within a month or two.

Also, NotABronie the tick rate as I recall is the number of times the server updates its clients (the players) each second. Correct me if I am wrong on that.

Best griefer name ^

Kascas

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 05, 2012, 06:32:47 pm »
so any date for cactus yet?
if not i should start making a cactus farm asap
OPTI!
(click to show/hide)
Need Water?
(click to show/hide)
LIGHT MY PORTAL!
(click to show/hide)
Boats
(click to show/hide)

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 05, 2012, 06:47:04 pm »
All I can tell you is I talked to Optical when he was in game, and he said he plans on eventually removing anything growable to increase the tick rate and help the server economy. This will probably start with cactus and move to sugarcane, and maybe to cobblestone as well since cobble can be "grown" using a cobblestone generator, but it still has to be manually mined.

Best griefer name ^

Boshiwarrior

• (JO,O)J FUSRODAH === ¶___¶
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 05, 2012, 07:09:17 pm »
Cobblestone generators are not allowed. And if you can't sell Cobblestone a lot of people will leave Opticraft then. The price of that is fine and most of the people sell it only if they have too much.

About the Sugercane and Cactus, you can sell Sugercane only for 5 at the market so that will take months or even longer to make much money. And Cactus? That will take a long time too bit a bit faster. And why should you even make a Auto farm now with Cactus and Sugercane? You only ruin it for everyone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQKKj_qeOBQ
!Boshiwarrior is returning to the Opticraft!

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 05, 2012, 08:47:38 pm »
All I can tell you is I talked to Optical when he was in game, and he said he plans on eventually removing anything growable to increase the tick rate and help the server economy. This will probably start with cactus and move to sugarcane, and maybe to cobblestone as well since cobble can be "grown" using a cobblestone generator, but it still has to be manually mined.
Really now? I'm not believing that until Opticalza says it, No way he'd remove growing items, its SURVIVAL how do u survive if you cant grow food

NotABronie

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 05, 2012, 09:11:23 pm »
He said from the market, so the crops won't be as mass produced as they are, and the reason that he does this is because the market is a convenience, not a necessity. You don't have to make money off the market, you make money off of the people and you know how there are poor people like me and Bladen18 who have a total of 17k to share or there are people such as kascas who have millions and maybe billions, and I am fine with that, I use kascas as an example to show you just how much money people have, and he's currently the richest. But if you work for people, and sell the stuff you mine to people, and just be able to buy from the market, then all of the iron and stuff is in circulation instead of just disappearing from the worlds. And by the time if this happens, then, as I keep mentioning there will be deflation, people won't need as much money to get by. And also as I have said before, what truly do you need from the market?
Sincerely,
NotABronie
(click to show/hide)
We're not banging rocks together here, we know how to put a body back together :D

☣2crzy4uall☣

• Professional Redstoner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 05, 2012, 09:37:46 pm »
Ok well from the market makes more sense haha i thought he meant from the game :P

KCB38

• Grammar Nazi
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 06, 2012, 07:51:50 pm »
I see a very easy solution to the economic problems.

Remove the market all together and replace it with player shops. A new plugin would be needed, which would allow players to set up booths with signs and 2 chests. The signs would offer to buy/sell a certain item and would only be changeable by the store owner. One chest would be in front of the store and would only receive what was on the signs. The other chest would be inside the store and only accessible to the store owner. This is where they would put any goods that they were selling or receive any goods that their store automatically bought. (If a shop owner is buying items from customers, they must designate a certain amount they will buy. This is to prevent them from saying they want to buy dirt and then losing all their money because someone sold them 100 stacks of 64.)

There would be no need to make melons and pumpkins unsellable with this system, as players would not buy unlimited amounts of them like the melon farmers would prefer. And Im sure it would not be hard to make it so that pistons can not be within a 5 block radius of a melon/pumpkin. This would allow people to still have manual melon/pumpkin farms, and would still keep the economy balanced.

And sorry Optical, cause I just suggested that you should make 2 new plugins  :P
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 07:58:12 pm by KCB38 »

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 06, 2012, 08:02:13 pm »
This has already been discussed many times.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

NotABronie

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 07, 2012, 12:52:14 am »
I like KCB38's opinion, even though it creates 2 new changes to opticraft, but we still need to buy those unobtainable items, and how about we make the market like a complete admin/op automated store, so the money doesn't disappear and we can still obtain  stuff like moss stone bricks. To me that is a win-win
Sincerely,
NotABronie
(click to show/hide)