May 02, 2024, 09:17:54 pm

Author Topic: Melon and pumpkin discussion  (Read 78937 times)

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Melon and pumpkin discussion
« on: June 27, 2012, 05:41:40 am »
Post all concerns, questions, and complaints about the removal of melons and pumpkins from the market here.

Feel free to rage / vent / cry as long as you don't get in the way of real discussion

Serious discussion and possible solutions are welcome.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 08:06:50 am by cschurz »
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Melon and pumpkin discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 05:49:35 am »
To save time, I'll post just about every comment you will get:

Raargh, my melon farm *Rage*. Spent so much money on it, it's not fair! You can't change market!! *Rage* So... angry...

Not that I agree with that, but there you go. It might save time if you explained why the rager's etc. attitude is not totally reasonable.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 05:54:56 am by clawstrider »

illiwill

• Smp Trusted/Classic Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 06:05:06 am »
Is the removal because people are make a HELL of a lot of money from melon/pumpkin auto farms? If so, why don't you just lower the sell price AGAIN.

caitslove

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 06:08:45 am »
This is a RE-POST of my original post on the suggestions board. It is a suggestion and that was the reason I posted it there, also this thread had not been made when I began typing the post so please don't hold it against me or my proposal. Also, the people that responded on that thread DID NOT READ IT FULLY. Please read it fully before you comment on what I am suggesting please. Don't just respond to one part of my suggestion.

So I'm sure I'm not alone in my displeasure of the new ordinance that will take affect one week from today because I, like many, have spent weeks upon months perfecting pumpkin farming techniques and recently expanded my automated farm with my partner Beugul.

However I guess I kind of understand (not actually...) your point about people making too much money off of it. I have a proposal that I think might benefit all parties involved. It was mentioned that the reason selling pumpkins and melons is being banned is because people are AFK'ing for hours and then hitting a button to make money. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that the cure for this is a 2-minute auto-boot from the server?

If it is a complete lost cause, however, I think new less-afk-capable options should be made available for money-making purposes. As a jumping point for this train of thought, I was thinking it might be a good idea to make meats (such as beef, pork, and chicken) sellable in the market because they take far more effort to raise in mass quantity. Another option is making wheat sellable (this is less lazy because it requires the player to replant the wheat).

Just thought I'd make a jumping point towards a solution to this mess because, as was mentioned in the news update, way too many people are going to be angry about this. If an upside can be presented, I think the backlash of people leaving the server could be prevented.

Just my two cents...
-Caitslove

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 06:08:54 am »
Is the removal because people are make a HELL of a lot of money from melon/pumpkin auto farms? If so, why don't you just lower the sell price AGAIN.
We dont like the idea of players getting rich off of afking.

optical

• Administrator
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 06:10:48 am »
A large part of the problem is the lag the redstone circuits and pistons cause in this extreme scale. Even the efficient farms like Skittcatts in enderopolis cost significant CPU time when there are so many of them.

We are going to add sell signs for pistons so you are able to recoup your costs to some extent.

illiwill

• Smp Trusted/Classic Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 06:11:39 am »

Hmm. Well will what will we sell to get money? Wheat? You guys can decide.

bhoughton

• The names Bee
  • Whatcho Talkin bout?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 06:13:32 am »
By removing the pumpkins/melons from the market is good for two reasons/statements

1) people are not making money by afking.
2) remember this, this IS a survival server; is afking really part of a survival aspect?
Quit swinging your dick around before I put a formal end to it.

fuck notch, yo

prinkey00

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 06:19:09 am »
Instead of removal, just reduce their selling price dramatically. Selling two and a half stacks of pumpkin shouldn't be equal to what a diamond sells for at the market. Completely removing them from the market will make a lot of people's farms and the work they put into them useless.

cschurz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 06:19:15 am »

Hmm. Well will what will we sell to get money? Wheat? You guys can decide.

Ideally, there should be no go-to way to farm a ton of money. That isn't fun at all.

prinkey00

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 06:21:28 am »
A large part of the problem is the lag the redstone circuits and pistons cause in this extreme scale. Even the efficient farms like Skittcatts in enderopolis cost significant CPU time when there are so many of them.

We are going to add sell signs for pistons so you are able to recoup your costs to some extent.

I doubt mine takes up that much.

Spamarian

• Top Voter
  • Champion Member
  • YoO0Oo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 06:24:04 am »
Guys, I haven't harvested my mellons for a long, long time.
But, we all have to admit, that the greatest proportion of the players lives from the mellons and the pumpkins.

So, I could give some ideas for a normal change to your target.
Firstly, add them back with a minimum price of 100$ per stack. The small or new players, need some money to start raising their balances. So, the old players will be able to sell their output and the server will turn the auto-farms fast back to regular, based on the second idea.
Secondly, implement the signs to sell the pistons. The players will still sell the output, and the farms will get sestroyed sharply. But, the whole thing has to have a duration of about 2 to 3 weeks or a month. You can check how long it will be there,  from the sales rate on the pistons.
Thirdly, to apply a plug-in that prevents afk. After 3mins still, you get kicked.
1) To avoid further AFK players even with 100$
2) For safety issues.

cschurz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 06:24:21 am »
Instead of removal, just reduce their selling price dramatically. Selling two and a half stacks of pumpkin shouldn't be equal to what a diamond sells for at the market. Completely removing them from the market will make a lot of people's farms and the work they put into them useless.

see:

We WANT to make these huge farms useless. It's not fun when everyone and their mother makes a farm because it's the single best way to make money. We don't want there to be a single go-to way to make a ton of money. We understand that it's a big change.

You can get a refund for your pistons, and you have a week before the change goes live. Make use of it.

If you already have a farm running: you have nothing to complain about. You had the resources to make a huge farm and you're guaranteed to be damn rich already. Congratulations.

--

I doubt mine takes up that much.

They all take up too much. It's shoddy bukkit / vanilla minecraft code.

prinkey00

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 06:32:33 am »
By removing the pumpkins/melons from the market is good for two reasons/statements

2) remember this, this IS a survival server; is afking really part of a survival aspect?

How do you think people make money in the real world? By farming! And I bet they're AFK half the time too.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 06:37:36 am »

How do you think people make money in the real world? By farming! And I bet they're AFK half the time too.
Cant tell if serious.....