May 17, 2024, 08:11:23 am

Author Topic: Wooly Targets - a new minecraft minigame creation  (Read 4775 times)

ogMolton

• View Profile
Wooly Targets - a new minecraft minigame creation
« on: June 17, 2012, 10:12:44 am »
I'm testing a new minigame within minecraft that involves throwing objects at a very high distance onto targets, then going down and counting up the scores.

an opticraft original creation

I'm leaving the door unlocked and open, not all the glass is protected, please don't grief, have fun. 

goto /home ogmolton and bring at least 4 of a couple different kinds of materials with you. Read the signs, don't jump off the platform,  fall down the hole
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 10:30:39 am by ogMolton »

hennydeez

• aka Henz
    • View Profile
Re: Wooly Targets - a new minecraft minigame creation
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 10:57:59 am »
This actually looks fun, I might give it a try when I get in game. :P

ogMolton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 02:33:52 pm »
most of the play testers really liked the game. A couple of people liked the game so much they took the time to make a big lilipad heart next to the target.  

I haven't been charging anything but people still want a prize so they take what they can pick axe off of my stuff :(
one time someone went the wrong way off the platform and died, i tried to give them back their stuff but the other guy there was convinced i was trying to give that person a prize even though i was trying to give them their stuff back.  It's less confusing to have an empty inventory when hosting one of these games.  I gave someone my diamond pick axe by accident, but they gave it back.

The glassed in, locked design is so people can't mess up the score by trying to steal all the wool i'm giving out, i like to give out just 4 of a wool so it's not confusing, whenever people use their own materials they tend to throw more than 4, but i guess the game is still in it's very early stages.  Also, if people die by juping down on purpose or accident, their stuff is locked in the target area
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 02:39:50 pm by ogMolton »

ogMolton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 05:26:26 pm »
I got protection stones in place to protect the target area enough to make this a public attraction.  The game really doesn't need much explaining and it doesn't really require someone to host it either, it just requires following the simple rules and civility from the players.  It is best played when everybody only has 4 of a wool color to use, but people can come and use sand, cobblestone, whatever they want, as long as no two players use the same material type and everybody throws the same amount of blocks, which is usually 4 blocks.  Any more players at a time or blocks thrown at a time might make taking scores to confusing.

If I'm hosting a game I can close the door to the target area to prevent people from being able to get inside and ruining the game before score can be taken, but people can still jump into the target area from off the platform and ruin a game and steal the materials thrown if they happen to suck bad enough, this is about the only downside of the game I can think of aside from people falling off and dying by accident. 

Please come and visit with your friends, if there is more than 4 of you, a spectator area exists below next to the target area, if you like the game and would like me to be able to fully protect it and add a second, higher, more difficult target, please donate by typing "/pay ogmolton 100" (100 is an example)  Thanks for checking it out.

Mr_Mr_Mr

• Veteran
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 08:50:05 pm »
This is a good idea, did you think of it yourself, or did you get it from someone else?

---><--- Click the monkey

ogMolton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 03:53:24 pm »
Yeah, I did it by myself so far, but I just got a super generous donation form TheRealFamous last night that has already helped a lot.

As far as I know this is the first time this has been done in minecraft, but I've barley been playing.  I got the idea from super monkey target, a minigame in super monkey ball looking down at that water from up above reminded me of super monkey target, it's one of my favorite games ever.

I got the whole target area including the soon to be created target protected off, sorry austinphilly, I kind of had to get rid of that heart, it turns out it wasn't love for wooly targets, so it had to go.  Just kidding, it was in the way of progress  :)

I also plan to protect the first platform entirely and make it mostly out of glass and wool with that big generous 10,000 opticraft dollar donation. :)

The game play seems to work, i had one person come and put them all on the bullseye but then he made a comment like he cheated somehow (is that possible) other than that it is hard to judge exactly where they are going to land from that distance, and the next target is going to be further away and more difficult.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 04:05:16 pm by ogMolton »

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
  • Retired. Find me on Steam or IG.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 11:44:03 pm »
While it is an original idea, I have something VERY similar to this.

Archery range. Although the range keeps getting griefed...
I don't play Minecraft anymore and hardly come back to these forums. If you want to contact me, find me on Steam or Instagram. Username for everything is SalsaInABowl.

NotABronie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 11:47:25 pm »
That's a really good idea. An archery range would sound good too. The archery range sounds better because dropping items is random and you would get bout the same score every time as opposed to the idea of an archery range where it is skill based, or be shooting mobs from some distance and the lower amount of arrows you use, the higher the score.

Just throwing it out there. :) :) :) :)

Sincerely,
          NotABronie
Sincerely,
NotABronie
(click to show/hide)
Quote from: CaveJohnson
We're not banging rocks together here, we know how to put a body back together :D

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 12:01:24 am »
I actually already built it some time ago, but there are a few things missing due to griefers
I don't play Minecraft anymore and hardly come back to these forums. If you want to contact me, find me on Steam or Instagram. Username for everything is SalsaInABowl.

theone7142

• I'm Neo. Understand?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 01:09:50 am »
I used the range. i got 5 bullseyes from the melon spot

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 03:28:36 am »
Melon? There's no melon.

Mr_Mr_Mr

• Veteran
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 04:04:26 am »
Melon? There's no melon.
If he doesn't have the coloured blocks, he can give the blocks a colour to fall on, I think it's clever.

---><--- Click the monkey

ogMolton

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 04:29:00 pm »
The idea is for the targets to be a public game that doesn't necessarily require different color wool to play, but in practice when using materials like cobblestone they tend to clump together on the ground, ruining the game, so you kind of need to use wool for wooly targets, for some reason the wool never tends to clump up unless they are thrown exactly on top of each other.

The throwing is not random, its tough to judge but requires skill, it's like minecraft horseshoes if you ask me. 

I gotta get new screenshots up, I made a second, higher target that is much harder to judge.

NotABronie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 04:55:25 pm »
Now that I think about it,  since yo aren't standing directly above the bullseye , I isn't as random but still marginally random
Sincerely,
NotABronie
(click to show/hide)
Quote from: CaveJohnson
We're not banging rocks together here, we know how to put a body back together :D