May 08, 2024, 07:31:52 am

Author Topic: Suggestion on permanent bans  (Read 2530 times)

batfink35

• View Profile
Suggestion on permanent bans
« on: May 29, 2012, 09:18:02 am »
Hi,

While I've had some time free from Minecraft, due to being banned for 5 days, I've been reading through these forums. I've read a lot of the Ban Appeal posts and what hit me is there are a few people out there who come across generally sorry for what they have done. I'm sure we've all griefed at some point during our Minecraft existence, either through early naivety to the game or just by accident.
Now getting more onto the point of the suggestion. With some people out there getting permanent bans maybe there is a 2nd option out there other than a permanent ban, for the very few who have just made a poor choice in their Minecraft life and are very remorseful for what they have done. Maybe a Punishment as to clear their inventory, reset their /home and/or delete all their created blocks, e.g their homes.

Some of these people, and i do mean very few, that are getting permabanned if set on the right track and given a punishment, which falls just short of banishment from the server, may indeed turn out to be very loyal and positive members of this community.

Regards
Batfink35

bhoughton

• The names Bee
  • Whatcho Talkin bout?
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion on permanent bans
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 09:55:11 am »
Won't happen sorry.

To be completely honnest not everyonechanges, so it is hard to unban someone then expect them not to grief again. people are usually given 3 chances before perm.
I Permanently banned someone today for Xray, do you think it would be wise to unban that player? not knowing if they're going to use it again in the future.

Bhoughton
Quit swinging your dick around before I put a formal end to it.

fuck notch, yo

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 09:57:08 am »
In my eyes if you break the rules, you should be punished. Whether that be a short ban or a permanent ban, it doesn't matter.
If we simply remove their items then what good would that do?
I respect your suggestion, but bans just seem the way to go.

batfink35

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 10:21:14 am »
Don't get me wrong, bans and permanent bans would still be used and any bans to date would still stand. It would have just been an extra "weapon", if you'd like, in the mods arsenal and for use in exceptional circumstances. However it could complicate things and just end up giving more work to the mods, themselves, implementing the action.

I respect your decisions. As its pointed out on the forum it's was only a suggestion :)

D00MKNlGHT

• I don't always kill, if I do it's because u stare
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 12:24:52 pm »
This server gives u 3 chances, and I feel 3 chances is really reasonable.
By the way I removed my post, your post made mine look stupid haha.

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 01:40:27 pm »
This server gives u 3 chances, and I feel 3 chances is really reasonable.

Agreed.  In my opinion I see us being far too lenient at times.  We let a lot of people off their bans early because they're "generally sorry for what they've done" only to see them banned again weeks later for the same thing.  The only time people are sorry is when they're being punished.  When they're in-game performing the grief, or whatever, they don't care that they're breaking the rules.

There are signs posted at the spawn that specifically state what you can and can't do.  When someone appears on the server they know they should be reading the signs, and they know they should be following what they say.  Ignorance of the rules isn't an excuse here, because if you're ignorant of the rules it's your own fault for not reading them.  If you know what you're doing is wrong, and you do it anyway, the only reason you're sorry for doing it is because you're feeling sorry for yourself about being caught.

"I griefed because my dog sat on my mouse and farted!"
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

Dark Knight eh?.... I'M BATMAN!!!  ;)

Spamarian

• Top Voter
  • Champion Member
  • YoO0Oo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 03:51:16 pm »
Dude, I have never griefed.
I started minecraft with Opticraft, and I am still here. So, my ban's record is clear.

I dont want to grief, then you dont. But, I have to admit, that griefing passed from my mind when I saw these very wealthy grief-traps..:P

ANTIKOYKOY

• -Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 04:07:24 pm »
Grief can be 1 block and 1000 blocks small griefs can be mad as a joke, but huge griefs are pure intention of being an ass (xcuse me there) on the internet and making people upset.
I am against grief because i am the opionion of not doing to others what you dont like being done to you. And to stay on topic, i agree with the others saying that 3 strikes are enough. And i want to end with something suitable, in my opinion, for this case:

"Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, shame on you.."
"Remember that guy who gave up? Neither does anybody else.."

Larkosaurus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 08:11:15 pm »
Hi,

I'm sure we've all griefed at some point during our Minecraft existence, either through early naivety to the game or just by accident.
for the very few who have just made a poor choice in their Minecraft life and are very remorseful for what they have done.

Some of these people, and i do mean very few,  may turn out to be very loyal and positive members of this community.

How.. how do you know my life? D:

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 09:55:13 pm »

Hi,

I'm sure we've all griefed at some point during our Minecraft existence, either through early naivety to the game or just by accident.
for the very few who have just made a poor choice in their Minecraft life and are very remorseful for what they have done.

Some of these people, and i do mean very few,  may turn out to be very loyal and positive members of this community.

This is why we do a 3-Strike method when dealing with bans.  They get 2 chances to see that we don't mess around, and if they continue to violate the rules then they're gone.
"I griefed because my dog sat on my mouse and farted!"
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

Dark Knight eh?.... I'M BATMAN!!!  ;)