June 15, 2024, 10:18:13 pm

Author Topic: Spawning Issues (Potential Resolution)  (Read 5101 times)

Zen00

• View Profile
Spawning Issues (Potential Resolution)
« on: May 27, 2012, 11:08:23 am »
Hey all! Thought I'd give you an update on the spawning issue.

Tonight me and cschurz were experimenting with spawns to see if we can get them working, and here's what we found.

Apparently the issue with spawns is due to the server not despawning mobs properly when a player logs off or leaves an area, therefor mobs that spawn in chunks you visit while traveling (look up chunks in the wiki if you want to know) do not get despawned as you leave the area. What this does is cause the server to hit the mob cap very quickly, which prevents it from making more spawns, and as such, there hasn't been any around you to any useful extent unless someone managed to find and kill some somewhere else.

Anyways, so to test this cschurz used /butcher on the server to reset all the mobs, and it worked (If you are missing your sheep/cow/pig/chicken/whatever farm when you log on, it's his fault and ask an OP to help you with your issue) so we can say with 100% assurancy that the server hits the mob cap.

This is a temporary fix, so instead of killing everyone' farms all the time, we will continue to work towards finding the plugin issue that is causing this problem.

On the other hand, mob spawns in the member+ world work just fine, so no issues there. :D

PS: To those of you wondering, yes my slime farm works perfectly, so when spawns are fixed slimes will be plentiful, thanks for all the help in making it.

--- Fixed the name ;) ---
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 04:35:55 pm by Xeadin »

Alec2435

• View Profile
Re: Spawning Issues (Potential Resolution)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 02:37:44 pm »
THANK YOU!😄😊😄

Alber_Oliva

• Keeping it classy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 03:04:04 pm »
In that case I'm going to have to contact an Op about my village.. I had a bigger than average village filled with NPCs that were fully protected (To prepare for the next update). Hopefully they can restore the population.

Spamarian

• Top Voter
  • Champion Member
  • YoO0Oo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 10:33:48 am »
Alberoliva, by seeing your NPC village how good it is, I walked 6000 blocks to find one.
I did it. But, I need one more protection stone that probably I will place in the next days.
In a home, there were 8 or more NPCs.

The next days, I will have to check my slime chuck, too.

ANTIKOYKOY

• -Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 01:15:03 pm »
Good to know whats actually causing the problem..
On the other hand, i havent checked on my mooshrooms lately.. I hope nothing 'bad' happened to them :P
"Remember that guy who gave up? Neither does anybody else.."

Boshiwarrior

• (JO,O)J FUSRODAH === ¶___¶
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 01:19:31 pm »
Finnaly somebody that knows it, thank you!
I need to check my spawners, haven't used it for a very long time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQKKj_qeOBQ
!Boshiwarrior is returning to the Opticraft!

Unholy_Gibbon

• The Nocturnal Op
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 01:32:19 pm »
Very useful to know, I was wondering what was up with the spawns.
Hopefully they'll be working towards fixing this to make it more of a "survival" server again.

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 01:44:16 pm »
I think that "fixing" this issue should be partly the responsibility of players too.  I know I'm guilty of walking away from my spawners and leaving them active.  Sure, the creatures can't escape cause I have them walled in nicely, but that doesn't stop them from spawning a couple dozen mobs while I'm not there.  I think everyone who "owns" a spawner should seriously consider going into their "maintenance room" and disabling the spawner whenever they aren't using it.  It might also help the mob spawn rates on the server.
"I griefed because my dog sat on my mouse and farted!"
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

Dark Knight eh?.... I'M BATMAN!!!  ;)

ANTIKOYKOY

• -Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 01:53:50 pm »
About that viper, let me tell you that me and victino, wile on spawning issue times, have hit more than 100 mobs at the same time from a spawner ( ofcourse we killed all of them). My point is that mob spawners ,at least mine, are pretty much working.
Now i dont know if thats causing the problem with the capacity..
"Remember that guy who gave up? Neither does anybody else.."

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 02:05:22 pm »
About that viper, let me tell you that me and victino, wile on spawning issue times, have hit more than 100 mobs at the same time from a spawner ( ofcourse we killed all of them). My point is that mob spawners ,at least mine, are pretty much working.

This is my whole point though.  If spawners are spawning huge numbers of mobs, and the server only generates a maximum number of mobs, then it could be the spawners jacking the mob spawns.  So why not (as a community) just take the extra minute when we're done at our spawners to shut them down?  The only reason not to would be laziness, in my opinion.  Anyone who says otherwise, I ask you this.  Would you rather have 1000 Skelly's to kill at your XP, or actually have Slimes spawning like they should?
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

atdfbttl15

• Either on or trying to be on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 09:54:10 am »

I hate to link people to my topics but you should see this: http://www.opticraft.net/index.php/topic,10177.0.html

The point here is, there is no limit on how many mobs will spawn from a spawner if you take out all the mobs from the spawner's escape area(See this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOfEtWVhGUw) I made a on/off switch to my spawners with a basic redstone knowledge and it works fine. I agree with viper that we should really not be afk near our spawners for a long time to keep the spawn rates high.

Check it out! ;)

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 04:18:12 pm »

I hate to link people to my topics but you should see this: http://www.opticraft.net/index.php/topic,10177.0.html

The point here is, there is no limit on how many mobs will spawn from a spawner if you take out all the mobs from the spawner's escape area(See this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOfEtWVhGUw) I made a on/off switch to my spawners with a basic redstone knowledge and it works fine. I agree with viper that we should really not be afk near our spawners for a long time to keep the spawn rates high.

Actually what I think is people (when designing their spawners) should incorporate a way to disable them so they WON'T spawn.  Either that or, when you're done, manually disable them with torches.  We all know how to do it.  So let's do it.
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

cschurz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 07:03:37 pm »
how did i miss this topic :V

yeah, //butcher only kills hostile mobs, so it's not my fault if your farm is gone :p

Zen00

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 07:19:31 pm »
Thanks cschurz, didn't know that, thought it was a general massacre, hence the name.

Edit: By the way, it isn't just mob spawners that are the issue, it's just walking in general as mobs spawn everywhere, and normally when you leave a area they are supposed to despawn, but they aren't. Spawners or not, we'd have the same issue.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 07:21:07 pm by Zen00 »

Lairy_Fliquid

• Nice house you got there, be a shame if...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 07:26:35 pm »
i see!