June 13, 2024, 03:56:41 pm

Author Topic: Water/Lava/Fire placment  (Read 6955 times)

cschurz

• View Profile
Re: Water/Lava/Fire placment
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 01:51:09 pm »
Hmm. I guess you're right. I'll work hard to become trusted so that i can help others with water.

Thank you to everyone who posted constructive criticisim.

Bye.

don't discount this idea just yet. it has potential, and i'm thinking of a way to make it un-abusable. it's a very good concept, it just needs a little extra something.

Not to disapprove your theory, but I personally do not see how this could possibly be un-abuseable. Sure we could make it so that if it detects a secondary PS it doesn't work, but for those people wothout them it is a griefers paradise. And as for your 'something extra', what could that possibly mean? I don't intend to ruin your thoughts on this but it is a flawed suggestion.

first of all, we wouldn't allow members to place lava, so your example situation would never happen.

placing water in a protection-stoned area is virtually harmless except for the fact that the flow of water breaks things and it is difficult to undo the damage using logblock. it shouldn't matter if someone decided to grief with water or a pickaxe. right now, it's more difficult to undo water grief because it's not as simple as a logblock undo. if we can find a way to undo water grief quickly and easily, i see no problems at all with wildone's idea.

it's already possible to grief an unprotected house by placing a protection stone in it (or simply griefing it the traditional way). if we remove water when the protection stone is broken and improve our rollback tools to better undo water grief, then i see no faults.

and everyone should note: moderators are not going to bend over backwards fixing your grief if you refuse to protect your house. the only potential problem with wildone's idea is only possible when people fail to protect their house - we simply can't be responsible for such damage when we hand you the tools to protect yourself.

and no, saying that protection stones are too expensive is not an excuse. it is a survival server. you build small and work your way up.

BUT I DIGRESS.

we should keep the discussion going here. your over-simplified example situation is not a reason for the idea to be fundamentally flawed and impossible to implement, bigbeno. this has potential.

wildone234

• Wow, what a nice house i've made! ssssssss BOOM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2012, 05:07:18 pm »
I was thinking, that maybe the water, lava, or fire wouldn't be able to spread outside of your protection stone.

wildone234

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 05:09:51 pm »
And i would personally only want to place water for a farm or a decorative pond, and fire for a fireplace.

It occured to me how many good ideas are rejected because of griefers. Sad.

Thanks to everyone.

Yomo

• Livin It Big
  • IGN: Yomomma750
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 05:16:09 pm »
Well yeah, But like Dejected said, It has potential and other people use water for different purposes

bantam2

• Oᴘᴇʀᴀᴛᴏʀ
  • Straight Outta Compton
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2012, 05:32:58 pm »
Deject, there is a quick and easy way to undo water grief, the history shows as WaterFlow:
(click to show/hide)

Just as my own 2 cents, what would happen to the Water when the protection stone is removed??? It would seem very hard to make the water disappear when a PS is removed.

Yomo

• Livin It Big
  • IGN: Yomomma750
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2012, 05:35:55 pm »

Just as my own 2 cents, what would happen to the Water when the protection stone is removed??? It would seem very hard to make the water disappear when a PS is removed.
The water would be there, But you cannot place it again, But you can remove it. Like how it is now when we place water for  members

bantam2

• Oᴘᴇʀᴀᴛᴏʀ
  • Straight Outta Compton
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2012, 05:39:34 pm »

The water would be there, But you cannot place it again, But you can remove it. Like how it is now when we place water for  members

My point is, that would make it easy for players to place a PS and water and leave it, making it our job to remove and it could potentially become griefing. In a perfect world, players would remove water before moving but this isnt a perfect world.

partyguy15

• The Dj Of Opticraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2012, 06:35:19 pm »
Just a question, if you place water out of a bucket and you touch it for the second that it is there does it put out the fire

cschurz

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2012, 11:46:16 pm »

My point is, that would make it easy for players to place a PS and water and leave it, making it our job to remove and it could potentially become griefing. In a perfect world, players would remove water before moving but this isnt a perfect world.

removing water when a stone is removed wouldn't be terribly difficult. to do it cleanly would require modification of both the Logblock and Precious Stones plugin, but it is possible.

i believe that this is a fairly elegant solution to the water problem.

Duinis

• Arghblarglarghlpoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2012, 05:56:09 am »
Hahah, that was what I was thinking as I read down this thread.
Yes, that is a very good idea. Water placed by members- would need to be inside a protection stone.
That way, griefers would have to keep their ps stone there to keep the water there.
Only the most determined (and somehow rich) griefers would be able to actually grief, if we did this.

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2012, 07:20:04 am »
Hahah, that was what I was thinking as I read down this thread.
Yes, that is a very good idea. Water placed by members- would need to be inside a protection stone.
That way, griefers would have to keep their ps stone there to keep the water there.
Only the most determined (and somehow rich) griefers would be able to actually grief, if we did this.

While this is true, how would it affect other situations?  I wouldn't want to have to place water every time I needed to / felt like moving/replacing a PS.
"I griefed because my dog sat on my mouse and farted!"
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

Dark Knight eh?.... I'M BATMAN!!!  ;)

Duinis

• Arghblarglarghlpoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2012, 08:44:11 am »
Hmm...True, true.

wildone234

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2012, 11:37:29 am »
I also thought that either when you remove your ps, it won't let you remove it until all water/fire/lava is gone,or when you remove it, all water/fire/lava disappears.

Boshiwarrior

• (JO,O)J FUSRODAH === ¶___¶
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2012, 11:58:52 am »
I also thought that either when you remove your ps, it won't let you remove it until all water/fire/lava is gone,or when you remove it, all water/fire/lava disappears.
Then I can never sell my home to another. My home is light up with lava. (It is griefed a lot but I have now 2 Lapis PS.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQKKj_qeOBQ
!Boshiwarrior is returning to the Opticraft!

wildone234

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2012, 12:49:33 pm »
Well, if you want to sell your house, include the price of two lapis protection stones in the total cost of the house, and than transfer the ownership to the buyer.