April 29, 2024, 01:17:42 pm

Author Topic: Website Prices - Your Thoughts?  (Read 1316 times)

Myskillzownu

• View Profile
Website Prices - Your Thoughts?
« on: May 06, 2012, 05:06:30 pm »
Among other computer-related services I offer, one of them happens to be website creation. (I don't plan on doing it forever; I've just been in need of cash, and it's quick cash.)

Currently, as I have not previously have experience creating websites for others, my rates are very low.
Right now I'm making a website for a local ISP and I'm charging $100 for the design, $300 for the home page & two sub pages, $40 for each additional page, and $40/month to manage the site.
Keep in mind this is just a static HTML/CSS website, excluding some small JavaScript on the front page. (Image transition/slideshow.)

I'm also currently making a second website, though this is for someone close to my friend.
For that reason I'm charging $300 flat, though I'm making it with Drupal. (For the thing he specifically wants, Drupal is the better choice.)

So my question for those who design websites/have a general knowledge about the topic:
What are your rates (if applicable), and do you think I should increase my rates for future websites?
Keep in mind that I do do good work, and there's hardly nothing I can't do.

It's a question I've been pondering for a while now, and I don't know what I should do.
For the most part, the websites I've been making are for small local businesses (I live in a bloody village), and people I know.
That mixed with that fact that I am reasonably young, I don't want to scare people off with prices that seem to high. (I feel as if it's going to be the epitome of my downfall, as I typically charge low rates for all computer work. (For the same reason.))

Optional Side Question:
(This is for those who do design/have designed websites, and it's just a random question I'm always curious about.)
What do you do about IE users (especially IE6 users) who view your site?
For websites I get paid for, I just have to implement "hacks" so to speak to make sure everything functions correctly. (The <!--[if xx IE x]> is the only good thing Microsoft has done in my opinion, but we still shouldn't need it.)
Typically I try to coax them to let me block IE6 users, but occasionally you get a person who wants IE6 support.

For my personal work, I just flat out block IE users from viewing my site.
As many people have told it, it drives away a large user base, but I don't care.
They will be redirected to page asking them to switch browsers, and explaining why they should.
If they're to stubborn/stupid to listen to reason, I could care less if they look at my site.

Thanks a bunch guys
-Dave