April 20, 2024, 02:55:38 am

Author Topic: Separate admins  (Read 11156 times)

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Separate admins
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 03:56:46 pm »
Well Nick checks on classic almost everyday so, I can't say he doesn't care about it.
But Relkeb's last login was 2 weeks 4 days ago....

Relkeb has some problems with logging in right now, hence the last login.  Also Nick already stated that Morgosin and Mr also have Logins from couple of weeks, so surly nick is during his job by getting on when he can, but you have to remember that Admins have lives as well so they will go on both servers as much as they can, which right now is a good amount of time.

Ik but I mean Relkeb logs in to SMP more than classic
And nick logs in classic almost everyday
Then again
Let nick handle classic and Relkeb handle SMP

I still spend the majority of my time on smp.
We have 3 new OPs on classic so that should help ease the need for them.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

bantam2

• Oᴘᴇʀᴀᴛᴏʀ
  • Straight Outta Compton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 06:01:45 pm »
I agree with nick and xeadin. Even if nick and relkeb are on smp more than classic, they are always on the forums, ready to address any questions or concerns that you have which was proven by xeadin's last post in this topic. Mr, if you want more ops on the server, which i agrre with, you should talk to the builders and recommend some to apply. If there are more applications, currently only 2, then more people might be promoted.

TarynMai

• Admin
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 07:50:05 pm »
Ive been on classic a lot more lately, and I have seen Nick quite a bit. Just saying.

KCB38

• Grammar Nazi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 07:54:55 pm »
First off, Who's the third? I only see two.

Second, Its like giving a bunch of little kids a playground, but not maintaining it. In a couple of months the playground starts to fall apart. Our "playground" needs maintenance.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 09:39:54 pm by SoulKnightGT »

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 07:57:38 pm »
Second, Its like giving a bunch of little kids a playground, but not maintaining it. In a couple of months the playground starts to fall apart. Our "playground" needs maintenance.
Oh so you are saying that our current OP's are like kids and are not able to handle the server? All that I can do to help is create new worlds which I do. The rest is up to the OP's. Having another admin for classic would have no effect at all.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 09:40:33 pm by SoulKnightGT »

KCB38

• Grammar Nazi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 08:16:13 pm »

Oh so you are saying that our current OP's are like kids and are not able to handle the server? All that I can do to help is create new worlds which I do. The rest is up to the OP's. Having another admin for classic would have no effect at all.

I did not mean the ops were the kids in my analogy. No, the ops are the parents, but the parents cant fix the playground.
And you didnt answer my question on why you said three new ops, when there are only two.....
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 09:41:22 pm by SoulKnightGT »

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 09:43:20 pm »
I was under the impression kodak would apply at the time. And what exactly would another admin do?

KCB38

• Grammar Nazi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 09:47:24 pm »
I am not agreeing with the people who say we need another admin. I am just merely saying we need the Classic Server to receive more "maintenance" from the admins.

Edit: Thinking about this again, I think we either need a new admin for classic, or Nick needs to become more active on the Classic server. The admins are supposed to be there to deal with server wide problems, and they cant deal with them if they dont know what is going on on the server. Either the admins need to read the suggestions section more, or a new admin needs to be choosen, an admin who will always be on the Classic server. Nick and Relkeb need to choose. Either they support SMP or they support both. While basic support has been given, not enough attention has been given to the Classic server. i.e. There is a post about /worlds all being broken, and it has been ignored for months. I am not saying the current admins aren't good admins, I'm just saying they arent doing enough to keep the server up to par of the other Classic servers. If we keep this up, our Classic server will be surpassed by servers who have admins who come on everyday. In my whole playing time, which is 5 weeks, I have seen Nick one once, Nick in IRC once, and Relkeb I have never seen(It is possible I did not notice them, or I was not on at the right time. That doesn't mean that my data is useless though). This is not acceptable if we are to remain the top Classic server. We need to treat our guests like what they are named, guests.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 03:14:06 am by KCB38 »

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 04:55:09 pm »
Saying we need another admin for classic is getting redundant. You need to tell us why, and saying "it needs more attention" is not going to cut it. No one in here has given any reason why, they just keep going around in circles.

By the way, the /worlds thread was never answered because optical stopped developing the classic software.

Your_Mine

• Death Knight Operator
  • Guardian of an Abandoned Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 05:11:15 pm »
Saying we need another admin for classic is getting redundant. You need to tell us why, and saying "it needs more attention" is not going to cut it. No one in here has given any reason why, they just keep going around in circles.
Events.

Before you say "the ops can do that", recognize that we ops have several other responsibilities as well, primarily taking care of guests.  That's our first priority.  Secondly, if we want to create events for Classic, we have to get admin approval anyway.
You've already said that you have basically nothing to do on Classic, so it shouldn't be too hard for you to take charge and organize some events to keep things interesting.  Maybe look at how the Classic server operates and see if it can be revised to improve things.  See what people's happiness levels are and what they want.  There are a lot of things you can do on Classic if you simply try.
All your mine are belong to me.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 05:18:04 pm »
Sorry but we dont have the time to supervise an event, that is why we want the OPs to do it. I believe I oked your event idea a few days ago. But really, events is hardly a good enough reason for another admin.

Rezathin (Logan5353)

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 05:24:52 pm »
Well, will you let ops post in the event section of the Classic forums? I am opposed to separate admins but it would be nice if we ops could just post their instead of needing approval.

Unholy_Gibbon

• The Nocturnal Op
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2012, 06:54:14 pm »
I am no longer developing the classic software and I do not think I will ever get around to adding this in unfortunately.

What we need essentially is an admin who will continue to do what optical no longer has time for.

I suppose it doesn't actually have to be an admin, it could be a trusted op who is a capable coder. The op could code for things that are needed or requested for, then run them by optical for him to check over and add in.

Any other issues that have been mentioned here I think can be resolved by the admins we currently have perhaps paying a little more attention to the suggestions section of the classic server. However, paying attention to the suggestions section is all well and good until you look at the aforementioned quote from optical which effectively renders a large percentage of the suggestions section pointless/irrelevant to an admin.
This brings us back to the idea that we should have a designated coder to take over the coding duties that classic still requires.

KCB38

• Grammar Nazi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2012, 07:54:37 pm »
"We don't have the time...."
That's all the admins keep saying. If you don't have the time to do your job, then you and optical need to revise your thinking. Cause it seems to me that the time you don't have is spent doing things for smp that doesn't need to be done.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 07:56:53 pm by KCB38 »

Unholy_Gibbon

• The Nocturnal Op
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2012, 08:07:41 pm »
"We don't have the time...."
That's all the admins keep saying. If you don't have the time to do your job, then you and optical need to revise your thinking. Cause it seems to me that the time you don't have is spent doing things for smp that doesn't need to be done.

KCB they are doing their "job" (remember they're volunteers), it's just that their "job" description doesn't really feature classic as much as it used to as times have moved on and so has the focus of opticraft. However, I do still feel it's sad that classic is going to be left as it is as there are some things which could be improved and there is still a vibrant community of players there.