March 29, 2024, 01:17:15 am

Author Topic: A joint project for all the crafters  (Read 14625 times)

whatupguys1

• View Profile
A joint project for all the crafters
« on: January 12, 2012, 07:25:39 pm »
A few days ago I started discussing about a possible project with MrMonkey91, possibly the biggest thing that would happen to this server if it were done. I'm talking about a 1:1 scale Burj Khalifa with all the surrounding area.

A little bit of info for those who don't know what the Burj Khalifa is: The Burj Khalifa, formerly known as the Burj Dubai, is as of now, the TALLEST man-made structure on earth with an approximate height of 830 m. This building is located in the capital of the United Arab Emirates, Dubai. The tower is part of the new 2 km2 complex called Downtown Dubai at the 'First Interchange' along Sheikh Zayed Road, near Dubai's main business district. (extract from wikipedia)

First things first. From what I've said, you can all probably imagine the gargantuan size this thing is gonna have and just a standard world of 512x512x192 would NOT suffice to fit in such project, given the height of 830m and the fact that we would build at a 1:1 scale, we would actually require a world 416 blocks wide, 400 Blocks long and 832 blocks tall to fit in the whole complex.

So I extend a little petition here through the forums to our admin and the owner of the server, Relkeb and Opticalza: I really wish to see this project go through and finished sometime in the near future but to do so I need your help and permission so I plead to you to let this happen (if possible) because I really think that this could make this server even more popular and amazing than it already is.

Next is the builders for this inmense project. I wish I had enough time and talent to do this by myself but I don't, and besides building all alone is not even fun. So my next plead is to all the crafters of Opticraft: Since this is such a massive build I'm sure you all will want to have a say on this, so I ask you to please help me to make this project a reality. I know I have MrMonkey's support but I'd like to know what the other crafters, Terrewe, ZXFear, Luminaeus, Toxic, etc. (sorry i dont know the remaining crafters  :-[) think.

However I suggest this is not only limited to us crafters, since I know Opticraft has many great gifted builders that are yet to reach this rank or that have gone through the path of moderation to keep us safe from the griefers that lurk around every day. So I say we make a white list of all the builders that shall participate on this. Anyone approved by us the crafters or admins can build and help for this project, but remember, you'll have to limit yourself to the guidelines that the other crafters will set.

With this I finish my little petition for I know that you all have a busy day and cant spend it all here reading my wall of text. I thank you for your time and please post your thoughts regarding this project. Relkeb and Opticalza if you're reading this I humbly await your response.

PS: MrMonkey if you would be so kind to post some pictures of the SketchUp model and the voxelized model you have it would be great :D

Update:
List of the possible builders that will help with the project (pending review from the crafters):
-Destroyer
-Clawstrider
-Hammondsben
-Gameguy96

I've decide only to include those who mention themselves because this has to be voluntary, we won't force anyone to go with this project if they don't want to, so I ask all people who are interested to help to speak up in this thread.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 06:10:13 pm by whatupguys1 »

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: A joint project for all the crafters
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 07:29:56 pm »
Sounds good.

List of crafters:
Active:
MrMonkey91
Toxicstriker91
Terrewee
ZXFEAR
whatupguys1
gurgonis

Inactive/Demoted:
Luminaeus
Xoiiku (Come back!)
Spartan_Rain
Implosions

EDIT: Thanks guys :) I forgot Implo and Gurg

I would be happy to help, if you will accept me. Other than that, good luck!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 10:56:30 pm by clawstrider »

whatupguys1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 07:34:26 pm »
Since im relatively new to this server (not really but I've been inactive) I don't know the vast majority of the builders here, so I'd like to hear you guys propose some people or propose yourselves for this project. If you think, they or you, really have the ability to make this true then speak up please.

Destroy8r9

• master assassin
  • Laa shay'a waqi'un mutlaq bale kouloun mumkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 07:39:26 pm »
I would suggest my self but there are better people out there including despen43,rogueish i dont know if rogue still plays and there are others

Claw you forgot gurgonis did i spell that right?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:49:38 pm by Destroy8r9 »

ZXFEAR

• Crafter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 07:55:19 pm »
Sounds like a great idea!  I am happy to help build, as long as you let me ;P

Your_Mine

• Death Knight Operator
  • Guardian of an Abandoned Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 08:10:51 pm »
Sounds ambitious, I like it :)

Maybe after I get builder and improve my skills with buildings, I would like to contribute.
All your mine are belong to me.

raul7legend

• Israeli Operator
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 08:56:18 pm »
I like the idea, but if we're doing it on a grand scale such as this, we should make it limited to crafters only.
Crafters are hand-picked and chosen as the best builders for stuff such as this, anything less would be an insult.

whatupguys1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 09:17:49 pm »
I like the idea, but if we're doing it on a grand scale such as this, we should make it limited to crafters only.
Crafters are hand-picked and chosen as the best builders for stuff such as this, anything less would be an insult.

Well, though I agree partially I think that if we let the crafters judge who is capable and who is not im pretty sure we can pick up the best builders and operators around. Im just suggesting this cause i know some of the builders who are also crafter candidates and operators who have the level would also like to participate.

I know that handling a large team would represent problems with organization, so im keeping this as 10-man team (if the other crafters agree with this). We already have the crafters, meaning 5 spaces are occupied and that leaves enough space for another 5 people which will be picked from a list I'm going to make of all the people who propose themselves in this thread.

Complicated_Name

• The Skyrim Operator.
  • I have a Skyrim addiction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 09:22:55 pm »
I wish you luck! looks like a nice project, i actually attempted building the Khalifa Dubj, but it wasnt that grand of a scale.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

JimmyWhiffler

• meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 09:30:11 pm »
I'm guessing that a fair few others will want to help if this goes ahead, but I'd like to put my name forward!  I'd really like to be a part of a huge project like this if I could. :) 
All I have to say to you sir. It's fucking sorcery. There's your answer.

Sorted?

I hope so.

Mr.Monkey

• Nomnom
  • 2D artist
    • View Profile
    • minecraft pictures
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 10:55:28 pm »
You forgot implosions, but he isn't active any more either. I haven't got a voxelmodel yet, but it will probably take a while to generate one ;D I made a 192x192x192 model for my 120cell and it took almost the entire night XD
Anyway, this is the model we will be using (if everyone else agrees of course)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mr_Mr_Mr

• Veteran
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 10:57:34 pm »
If this is for crafters, why isn't it in the crafter+ section?

---><--- Click the monkey

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 10:59:27 pm »

Well, though I agree partially I think that if we let the crafters judge who is capable and who is not im pretty sure we can pick up the best builders and operators around. Im just suggesting this cause i know some of the builders who are also crafter candidates and operators who have the level would also like to participate.

I know that handling a large team would represent problems with organization, so im keeping this as 10-man team (if the other crafters agree with this). We already have the crafters, meaning 5 spaces are occupied and that leaves enough space for another 5 people which will be picked from a list I'm going to make of all the people who propose themselves in this thread.

Read this^

whatupguys1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 11:22:01 pm »

I wasn't even aware there was such section  :-\

Mr.Monkey

• Nomnom
  • 2D artist
    • View Profile
    • minecraft pictures
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 12:32:54 am »
It has been around for some time, but ops couldn't see it. It wasn't rly being used, for there were only 5 crafters or so :P It's been off since the new forum revision with a separate smp part.

Now back to topic again ^^ I did some measurements on the model. The tower itself is 159x155x828. Plus the surroundings it's 411x393x832. The big world would be (optimised) 416x400x832 ~ 132mb. The small one is just over 20mb, but could of course be 256x256x832 which would make it 52mb. As for the proposed limit of 80mb, a world of 320x320x832 is just over 81mb.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)