April 29, 2024, 03:20:01 pm

Author Topic: I hate microsoft  (Read 19895 times)

davioo

• View Profile
I hate microsoft
« on: May 28, 2011, 04:23:14 am »
Ok so if you have an xbox and play xbox live, you know that a new update just came out. This update was to stop people from playing burned games on xbox... Well a long time ago the DVD drive in my xbox broke. I had to choices at this point : Sending it to microsoft and wait 1 month to and pay $80 to get it repaired OR I could just find a guy that lives near my house and get him to repair for $20. The choice was kind of obvious. So I payed a guy to replace my dvd drive but what he didnt tell me was : this is illegal, voids your warrenty and can get you banned. So basically now I cant update my xbox and therefore, I cant play xbox live. I called microsoft and they said the only way to solve this problem is to buy a new console (thats $300). So im really pissed of right now.

My question for you guys is : Should I get a ps3 or another xbox?

Ramkitty

• The Thinker
    • View Profile
Re: I hate microsoft
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 04:28:17 am »
Ps3 all the way davioo,

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 04:35:26 am »
You hate microsoft because of you ignorance of the rules?

Anyway, go PS3, i thought it was much better.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

davioo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 04:37:10 am »

I didnt burn any games at all... I payed over 150$ for all of my games dude :/

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 04:41:08 am »

I never said you burned any games. I was simply saying you should have known that modding your Xbox (which is what that guy did) Was against the rules. And you cant be mad at microsoft for you not knowing the rules.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

matt88222

• Gears of War 3
  • Hi I'm Matt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 04:43:38 am »
I'm kinda confused..

My xbox DVD drive broke as well, and I replaced it myself. I just downloaded the update with no problems and everything is working just fine. What is stopping you from downloading this new update? (What error message does it give you?)

davioo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 04:59:34 am »
I'm kinda confused..

My xbox DVD drive broke as well, and I replaced it myself. I just downloaded the update with no problems and everything is working just fine. What is stopping you from downloading this new update? (What error message does it give you?)

couldnt apply update. If the problem persists go to xbox.com/support

did you flash your drive?

davioo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 05:01:30 am »

I never said you burned any games. I was simply saying you should have known that modding your Xbox (which is what that guy did) Was against the rules. And you cant be mad at microsoft for you not knowing the rules.

Yep.. I was yound and stupid... btw ill call the guy back tomorrow.

matt88222

• Gears of War 3
  • Hi I'm Matt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 05:07:00 am »
No, I purchased the same model DVD drive as a replacement, and simply swapped the controller board from the old DVD drive into the new one.  

If you flashed your DVD firmware, as long as you didn't do anything that would allow you to play burned discs, I don't think you did anything wrong (though I'm not 100% sure on this).  When I first tried to download the update, it gave me a similar error message. I tried again and it worked just fine on attempt 2.

How old is your xbox by the way? The older ones (pre-2007 I think) aren't compatible with this newest update. If yours is that old you probably should've received an email from Microsoft about it.

davioo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 05:12:23 am »
No, I purchased the same model DVD drive as a replacement, and simply swapped the controller board from the old DVD drive into the new one.  

If you flashed your DVD firmware, as long as you didn't do anything that would allow you to play burned discs, I don't think you did anything wrong (though I'm not 100% sure on this).  When I first tried to download the update, it gave me a similar error message. I tried again and it worked just fine on attempt 2.

How old is your xbox by the way? The older ones (pre-2007 I think) aren't compatible with this newest update. If yours is that old you probably should've received an email from Microsoft about it.

I got it in 2008 i think.. and where did you get the same model dvd drive?? I might buy on of these and swap my current one with that,

matt88222

• Gears of War 3
  • Hi I'm Matt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 05:19:25 am »
I think I got it on ebay but I don't remember for sure (was quite a while ago).  I may have bought it on some xbox parts website (like llammas for example)

Mine was a Hitachi-LG drive. If you do plan on doing this you must make sure you get the exact same model, and ensure the ROM versions are the same.  If I were you I'd get the same exact one that was originally part of your 360.  Once you do that take the controller board from that old one and swap it into the new one. :) (this is assuming you still have the old one around)

davioo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 05:20:38 am »
no i dont have it anymore :( guess ill have to get another xbox!

matt88222

• Gears of War 3
  • Hi I'm Matt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 05:27:19 am »
That sucks man :(

I think the reason you probably can't download the new update is the fact that the drive your friend used to replace the broken one is too old.  It sucks that you can't really take any action on it though :\ especially since MS is handing out free 360s to those who can't update theirs. 

Interesting read here: http://www.metrowny.com/news-entertainment/archives/213-Microsoft_replacing_Xbox_360s_not_compatible_with_new_Firmware_Update.html

raul7legend

• Israeli Operator
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 07:30:08 am »
The same update happened back in October 09'

I would say that if you want to play on the internet, I would suggest PS3
If you won't want internet, I would say Xbox

Conclusion - PC is the best :p

optical

• Administrator