April 29, 2024, 10:10:23 am

Author Topic: Broken HDD  (Read 1747 times)

Mr_Mr_Mr

• Veteran
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Broken HDD
« on: May 26, 2011, 09:59:33 pm »
So, I dropped a metal ball on my motherboard, now when I start my computer, my computer thinks there is no hard drive in it. I found out that the error means it's broken, I took my computer appart and it turns out I can't drop things on it. Is there enything I can do without losing everything on my computer? Anyways, I won't be in game as much, I'll be on IRC to talk though on my iPod.

---><--- Click the monkey

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Broken HDD
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 11:09:48 pm »
So, I dropped a metal ball on my motherboard, now when I start my computer, my computer thinks there is no hard drive in it. I found out that the error means it's broken, I took my computer appart and it turns out I can't drop things on it. Is there enything I can do without losing everything on my computer? Anyways, I won't be in game as much, I'll be on IRC to talk though on my iPod.
This is a tough area because it sounds like you did not damage your hard drive only your motherboard. So everything is still on your hard drive.

The only problem is, 80% of the time when you get a new motherboard, it wants you to re install windows, which would mean wiping your hard drive.

But there is hope, if you have another computer (or a friends computer) You can hook up ur HDD (Hard drive) in the second slot and copy all the files you need to either the other HDD or an external hard drive. hope i helped

Now to the question that is on every ones mind, How did you drop a metal ball on your motherboard?
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

Mr_Mr_Mr

• Veteran
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 11:27:03 pm »
I forgot the mention that my computer is a HP probook 4520s. I was holding the metal ball about 1 foot above the mother board and my leg started hurting again so I dropped it. I looked it up and people said to replace it, I don't want to replace it :(

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 12:11:26 am »
I forgot the mention that my computer is a HP probook 4520s. I was holding the metal ball about 1 foot above the mother board and my leg started hurting again so I dropped it. I looked it up and people said to replace it, I don't want to replace it :(
Oh, you dropped it on the keyboard? I though it was straight onto the motherboard i was like "Why the hell was your motherboard showing?"

Now that i know its a laptop makes it worse, you can't replace a motherboard in a laptop, you need to get a new laptop, or send it in to get repaired by the company. If you go that rout you will have to ask them about getting your data back.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

Mr_Mr_Mr

• Veteran
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 01:37:36 am »
Actually I got it, I know how to replace it :) sadly, I am going to lose all my files, see you guys in 2 days maybe...