March 28, 2024, 11:24:42 pm

Author Topic: Ways to increase player count  (Read 6528 times)

Spyow

• View Profile
    • Opticraft! :D
Ways to increase player count
« on: August 04, 2016, 01:31:54 am »
Hello c:

I've thought of a few ways to get a few more players on the server:

1) Creating Threads
Many servers do it, and I'm not quite sure why opticraft doesn't. Create as many threads as you can on different minecraft forums around the internet, and then ask players in game to constantly bump the threads, possibly offering rewards for doing so. This will make our server thread right at the top a lot, and it will be one of the first servers there. I made a thread on minecraft forum a few days ago, and instantly noticed 3 or 4 people joining each server (not much, but the thread was buried pretty quick from other servers doing this and it wasn't being bumped, and this was only on one forum).

2) Purchasing a "featured server" position.
Another good way to attract some more players would be to buy a place on minecraft forum (or similar)'s featured server area, hundreds, maybe even thousands of players see these each day and I believe that it's worth the invesment as new players would donate too!

3) Fixing that god damn voting glitch
The glitch is still there where if you fill your name out, all you need to do is click the links to recieve your in-game rewards, I'm sure that some players still exploit this bug, and it's stopping the server from properly getting promoted on the voting websites.

4) Listing the server on more voting websites.
There are far more websites that offer listings than the ones that are currently implemented, I don't even think some of the most popular ones are even available to vote on for opticraft. Again, making more websites available will increase the amount of players that see our listing, therefore increasing the amount of players on the server.

5) Offering rewards for voting on ALL the websites
Some players might just vote on the odd website, or forget to vote on a certain one, if we only offer rewards once the player has voted on ALL the websites, then we can be sure each of the links has been clicked.

6) Other things
- Adding more features (although I know the upper staff are reluctant to do this).
- Update the voting pages as some of them still say older versions.

Opticraft has been dying for a long time now, nobody can deny it, and I think it's time to start focusing on the promotion aspect of the server to try and revive it. Please let me know your opinons for each option [:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 01:40:02 am by Spyow »

dougtato

• View Profile
Re: Ways to increase player count
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 01:46:28 am »
I definitely agree that Opticraft's dying, but it really doesn't have to. I've noticed that Minecraft is still going strong, even being around for years. I second the opinion to add more features --as in plugins-- to make the server a little more immersive. I've seen some really low-impact plugins such as being able to sit on stairs and store books on bookshelves that makes things a little more functional. I would also suggest easy and free ways to advertize, but a lot of this is just common knowledge. It's just a matter of someone actually making the effort to do it.

Spyow

• View Profile
    • Opticraft! :D
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 01:50:11 am »
I definitely agree that Opticraft's dying, but it really doesn't have to. I've noticed that Minecraft is still going strong, even being around for years. I second the opinion to add more features --as in plugins-- to make the server a little more immersive. I've seen some really low-impact plugins such as being able to sit on stairs and store books on bookshelves that makes things a little more functional. I would also suggest easy and free ways to advertize, but a lot of this is just common knowledge. It's just a matter of someone actually making the effort to do it.

Yes! I'm happy to help with the promotion in any way that I can, if we all chipped in we could really get opticraft going again

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 05:32:34 am »
I agree with fixing/revamping voting but I don't personally think adding features like doug mentioned would benefit us that greatly. I think people will find interest in the server the way it is, it's just a matter of getting peoples attention.

TheWholeLoaf

• The Architect
  • Architecture Is All
    • View Profile
    • Spawn Builder
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 06:30:42 am »
This is an old subject and has gone through many discussions. I agree that it would be nice if something were done, however, your threads idea is the only one that the majority of players can participate in. The other ideas, fixing the voting glitch, offering more voting rewards, buying featured slots on advertising websites or any plugin changes have to be done mostly by optical himself.

Once quests is released, there might be an opportunity to revamp opticraft as a whole with something like a hub. I'm seeing that as the best time to have something done and implement new things, however, things something to be said for not  doing everything at once. Again, anything SMP wise usually has to be done by optical.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 09:12:03 am by TheWholeLoaf »
Go check out my website: www.minecraftspawnbuilder.weebly.com

Gogar72

• Architect
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 04:25:28 pm »
Personally from my experience, I found plenty interest into this server. The community is what I believe sucked everyone into this place. But as time went on people lost interest as people had done everything they wanted to do on survival. The rest was just coming on to say hello and laugh, and that was the best part by far. To get things running again, we need popularity. That's kind of hard to come by these days, I have worked for multiple build teams and they have either setup a great YouTube channel, or they are connected to a famous you-tuber. We are not really partnered  with anyone and I doubt anyone is going to want to find someone to partner with as most big time Minecraft you-tubers don't play classic survival.

andersad

• Get out there and live!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 02:58:27 am »
I know I'm not really active anymore but I saw this post and just wanted to comment real quick. When scrolls is released, it might be a good idea to shoot out some messages to you tubers (as previous members have said, this is very beneficial). If we could get them to check out the server or even do a series on scrolls, something along those lines, Opti would surely become much more popular. As some of you guys may have noticed there is one certain server which exploded recently through a you tuber featuring it on his channel. This is probably just common sense to you guys but just wanted to put it out there as the other guys have to reinforce the idea that it really is effective.
~andersad
Opticraft- Best SMP server EVER
Go get em' :)